VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm cooking a vegan dinner for some friends next weekend. I have the entree and main figured out but I'm not sure of dessert. I've always ben a chocolate dessert person but decided I wanted to try some sort of fruit pie (warm). I thought of blueberry pie, but then thought it may just be too sweet. So does blueberry and apple sound good? How would I adapt it? I'm hopeless at this sort of thing... help anyone?

·
Registered
0 Posts
No...I don't think they would be a good combination. Both are tart. I would do one or the other. Don't listen to me, though- could turn out to be awesome! let me know.

Why not apple, date, and walnut?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm limited because I'm not a big berry/fruit person. I like apples, bananas, and rockmelon on their own, and I like blueberries, blackberries, orange, raspberry and strawberry for taste. I would probably use pear as well in cooking.

More opinions?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I have a cobbler recipe that uses 4 types of berries (black, raspberry, blueberry, and ... or was it just 3?). Anyway, it has a bite, but it's because of the blackberries.

It'd be a weird color, other than that blueberries and apples are sweet to me. (oh and with the ideas about the lemon and stuff would make it almost identical to my cobbler recipe)

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
It came from a book, but has been modified (oh, it uses buttermilk, but I'm sure you could substitute):

Cobbler Topping

1½ cups flour

1/3 cup sugar

\t1 teaspoon baking powder

\t½ teaspoon baking soda

\t½ teaspoon salt

\t6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces

\t½ cup buttermilk

\t½ teaspoon vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients together, cut in the butter with fingers/knives.

Stir in buttermilk & vanilla with fork until dough clings together

Spoon dough over fruit

Fruit

\t6-8 cups fruit

½ cup light brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or ½ teaspoon nutmeg or cardamom

¼ cup flour

Grated zest of 1 lemon

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon molasses

Toss 6 cups blueberries with ¼ cup flour 1/3 cup packed br. Sugar 1 tablespoon molasses, lemon stuff.

Oven:

\tPREHEAT Oven to 375 cook for 25min or until done

\tButter 8x10 dish

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shewolf

I'm limited because I'm not a big berry/fruit person. I like apples, bananas, and rockmelon on their own, and I like blueberries, blackberries, orange, raspberry and strawberry for taste. I would probably use pear as well in cooking.

More opinions?
Rhubarb and Apple pie
. Just make sure the rhubarb doesn't go too stringy cause it looks like worms. You can buy it canned if you don't know how to cook it though - chop it up and bring to the boil in water and sugar.

·
Registered
904 Posts
No need to be scared of rhubarb. We used to have rhubarb-strawberry stew, rhubarb custard pie and strawberry-rhubarb pie all the time when I was growing up. Rhubarb is very good stuff when cooked and it's fairly easy to cook.

I have to admit that I think the blueberry-apple combo would be best in the cobbler instead of a pie. Note that I said think. I've never tried it before.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Mmm... rhubarb cobbler is one of my favorite foods on earth.

But on topic, I don't think blueberry & apple pie would work. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't sound right. I like them both on their own. I agree with whoever said it would work as a cobbler, though.

To define with a little more detail, cobblers have the crust on top only. Some people have thin crusts that are super-sweet. Personally, I don't like those. My family uses a shortbread recipe -- it's biscuit-y and not sweet at all (there's plenty of sweetness from the fruit), and we put half & half on it while it's still warm. I haven't had it with half & half in years, though.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The main problem when making blueberry apple pie is not the flavour as they go well together. The problem I find is that blueberries tend to cook much faster so you end up with a problem of overcooked blueberries and undercooked apples.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.