VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had tingling and numbness in my hands and feet for a few months now. My doctor is going to do a blood test to find out if I have a B12 deficiency...BUT my oldest daughter just told me that these symptoms can occur from too much B6. And too much B6 can cause PERMINENT damage.

I eat a lot of Red Star nutritional yeast. (Probably about 2 T most days) It has A LOT of B6.

What do you think?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much until the tests come back. maybe stop taking/eating anything with B6 for a couple of days and see if there's any change. there could be other reasons for tingling extremities, poor circulation for whatever reason, try doing some stretches and excercises to get the heart rate up and see how you feel

i sometimes have circulation problems in my legs, it comes and goes and seems to be connected to weather changes, it's gotten a lot better since i learned to stop crossing my legs and changed the position i sleep in, but i can always tell when it's going to rain and if i've been standing too long they ache and tingle when i finally do sit down. so it could be something unrelated and not nearly as serious

i also find my wrist and hand goes numb from using the mouse too long

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I've had that sort of thing (still there a little, but the decrease from what it was like originally has been remarkable), and my doctor seemed to emphasise B12 deficiency; but a blood test *feels queasy* showed my B12 levels were just above the minimum. I don't think I've increased my B12 intake since then.

I used to take a B6 vitamin (or something that had B6, like a B group), but stopped that. I'm not sure of the timing (ie; when the tingling started/stopped and when I was taking the B6 and stopped).

As soon as I get up the courage I need to get another blood test to compare to the last one.

And like LadyFaile I can experience numbness if I use a mouse for too long for certain tasks (but only in that arm/hand, and again that's not anywhere near as bad as it used to be).

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is that I rely on nutritional yeast for B12 and it contains even more B6...much more.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don´t think that your problem is too much vit. B6, because you take nutritional yeast and not an orthomolecular hyperdose. B6 is watersoluble and ever an overdose would be quickly done with. Repetitive use of small muscles as LadyFaile suggested, could affect your carpal tunnel especially if your B12 was low. A neurologist could test the nerve conduction time.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
most of what you mouse using people have described is carple tunnel. Look into it...... it could help your mouse using days ahead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts