VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><br>
The Japanese are planning to create the world's first whale farm.<br><br><br><br>
They say it is to aid scientific research and the development of the mammals as domesticated animals.<br><br><br><br>
Conservationists fear the Institute of Cetacean Research is setting up the farm to supply whale meat and blubber.<br><br><br><br>
International rules allow the sale of whale meat only if the animals have been killed for scientific purposes.<br><br><br><br>
Japan already gets around the ban by allowing the institute to organise annual whale hunts in the Southern Ocean.<br><br><br><br>
The institute is estimated to make around £20 million a year from selling whale meat at Tokyo's fish market, reports The Sunday Times . It now hopes to create the farm at Hirado, in southern Japan. An underwater fence will keep the whales enclosed.<br><br><br><br>
Dr Seiji Ohsumi, the institute's director general, said: "There are many things unknown about whales, especially minke whales, and we will be able to carry out research on their feeding behaviour and reproductive psychology.<br><br><br><br>
"As our technology improves we will be able to develop them as domestic animals like cows and sheep and use techniques such as artificial insemination."<br><br><br><br>
Richard Page, of Greenpeace, said: "It is obvious that the agenda is large-scale commercial whaling, an excuse for farming whales for food."<br><br><br><br>
Naoko Funahashi, director of the Whale Conservation Coalition of Japan, agreed: "No valid research can be done for understanding whales' behaviour in such a confined environment."<br></div>
</div>
<br><br><br><a href="http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_494054.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery" target="_blank">Source</a>

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
<div class="quote-block">International rules allow the sale of whale meat only if the animals have been killed for scientific purposes.</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Nice. Do you ever ask yourself "Why don't we just kill everything and get it over with?" That's the view I'm starting to take. It's going to happen sooner or later.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
They say it is to aid scientific research and the development of the mammals as domesticated animals.<br><br><br><br>
The japans are known to hunt whales even when its prohibited.<br><br>
Its all for scientic research: maybe the watching of a financial (cash)flow from a fishing company is scientific to. ?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Hang on..... domesticated Whales?<br><br><br><br>
I'm guessing only (very) rich ****ers will ever be able to have pet Whales.<br><br><br><br>
Let's boycott Japan.... oh, wait, that'd be racist.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Kurmudgeon</i><br><br><b>Let's boycott Japan.... oh, wait, that'd be racist.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Why would that be racist?<br><br><br><br>
And domesticated is different from breeding.<br><br><br><br>
I don't think the whales will be domesticated.<br><br>
It will be like breeding salmon only the size of the fish will be different

1 - 5 of 5 Posts