VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
[...]

The concert began in 2001 at the former St. Burchard church in Halberstadt, Germany, and is scheduled to conclude in 2640, for a duration of 639 years. Though Cage did not specify a duration for his piece, the length was chosen because the start date for the performance is 639 years after Nicolaus Faber built the first church organ. Other performances of the piece have lasted between 29 and 70 minutes.

The Halberstadt performance, by an automated organ, progresses so slowly that visitors have to wait months for a chord change (for one note change, in 2008, more than 1,000 visitors came to listen). They occur on the fifth of the month, but the next one isnt scheduled until July 2012. The organ emits a low meditative hum at all times. You can hear it on the ASLSP Web site.

The performance is so slow that the organ it is being played on was not even complete before the music began. Pipes were added to the organ, which keeps the music steady thanks to a machine called a blower that provides a constant stream of air, in 2008.

[...]
The Complete Article

·
3,936 Posts
I can't see the organ lasting that long without needing to be turned off for repairs. And that is assuming that civilization lasts that long.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I can't see the organ lasting that long without needing to be turned off for repairs.
They were still building the organ after the concert started.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Well, I can see them having to interrupt the concert for organ repairs, a couple of floods as a result of climate change, six world wars, and finally, a royal wedding.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Hmmm ...

I'm going to see if I can programme my iPod to make 'Sympathy For the Devil' (by the Rolling Stones) last for 639 years and 1 day.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
What's up with the peculiar number of years (639)? This is a huge undertaking. People rarely plan for things to last for generations, much less centuries. Too bad we will never know if they make it work until the end (unless it fails in our lifetime).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
^ In the article it says that's how long since the first organ was made.
I wonder whether someone has to sit there with their finger on the key at all times (some kind of tag team) or whether they do something else. hmmm.

I remember when I went to the milennium dome (in 2000 funnily enough) there was meant to be a piece of music there playing for some silly amount of years. Obviously the dome is gone now (well its now a tacky overpriced arena), I wonder what happened to it...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I wonder whether someone has to sit there with their finger on the key at all times (some kind of tag team) or whether they do something else.
It's automated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.