VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'ins (as they say in Ohio) listen to at the gym, if anything? Hamsters, I'm looking your furry way... I have to have music, especially for aerobic stuff like treadmill or elliptical - it's so god-awfully boring.

Currently in the MP3 player: Henry Rollins' Weight (best workout album ever), Chili Peppers' What Hits?!?!, and some angry-type rap like Wu Tang, Eminem, or old NWA. I also have special mixes when I'm at the gym and in the just-been-dumped type of mood (songs like "Seeing Things" by Black Crowes, "No Distance Left to Run" by Blur, and "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones and so on) and in the "I got a new girl" mood with selections like Thin Lizzy's "The Boys are Back in Town" and "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits.

·
Registered
0 Posts
It depends on my mood. If I'm in an agressive mood and want to really burn it up I excercise to Dr. Dre's Chronic and Nativity in Black-Tribute to Black Sabbath. If I'm in a good upbeat energetic mood I like Janet Jackson's last cd, Snoop, or Tu Pac. If I'm feeling nostalic and like visiting some old friends I listen to some real good Motown, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Aretha, Glady's, Sly & the Family Stone...so many good ones. I always add some mellow ones at the end for stretching. Usually it's something instumental and acoustic. This is the current favorites..I'm probably going to mix it up soon.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
When I go running, I always bring a walkman. Unfourtantly, I don't own any tapes so I am left to the mercy of the radio stations (the ones I get in that is!) Usually that ends up being oldies or stuff like eminem.

Sometimes I can only get country on my raido. I actually like country, but not for running.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Depends on my mood. Usually, while running (indoors; outdoors I go without, as I like to be able to hear what is going on around me) I listen to New Wave stuff, or old (as in, pre-1990) punk. Today I worked out to the Go Go's. If I'm pissy or upset, industrial music usually does the trick for me. The main thing is finding music with a good beat to help set your pace to.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nothing. music disrupts my inner rythm and distract me.

I need to get into "trance", during which my body moves on its own w/o me ordering it or guiding it. Pure "high"!

If there's any, I play African drum (what I can remember) or Tibet chant inside my brain.

When I do kick-boxing, well the punching sound is the coolest

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like to listen to jazz ... the trio/quartet/quintet kind. Since I play bass, I like to really focus on the basslines of songs that my own trio plays and try to get ideas for my own playing.

I like Diana Krall (John Clayton or Paul Keller on bass), Oscar Peterson (Ray Brown or Orsted Pederson on bass), and the likes. Listening and focusing on the music really makes it easy for me to knock-out a couple miles on the treadmill in no time.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I make mix tapes of my favorite tunes to listen to while I work out. My current one runs the gamut from 70s disco music through bad 80s (yes there are some New Kids on the Block songs, but it is what I grew up with), some movie soundtrack stuff and some more current stuff. I try to mix fast and slow tunes together for variety sake. If I didn't have either a TV or music going while I was working out - I would go insane.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For gym stuff (when I used to go) I always preferred stuff I wouldn't normally make an effort to listen to on my own! A lot of old, good disco/funk from the past, stuff to keep me going.

Now for running, I like to listen to music I love, which is basically, also old stuff! I have no idea what is new out there. I'm SO out of it. I like "The Smiths," "Morrissey," "R.E.M."

Now I'm really dating myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts