VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I've come for a little help. I wanted to start working out more and my goal is really to gain some muscle. At the moment, I do a little working out...not enough and not as often as I should. Currently I've been doing the part of the Shaolin Workout and I love it but it's mostly stretches and other things for flexibility. I also do pushups and situps before bed (is that a good time to do them? haha). That's really it other than taking walks.

I'm looking to build some muscles but I don't want to go to a gym for a couple of reasons. 1. I work 60 hours a week so don't have a lot of time and on my days off I don't want to workout because I am tired from work. 2. Money. So, are there any ways I can help gain some muscle at home and without spending a lot of money? What do you guys do?
Thanks bunches!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cardio is super easy to do by yourself. Just go for a walk or jog around the neighborhood! If you have access to a pool, swimming is also great cardio.

As for muscle toning, there are plenty of classics to choose from, like push ups and lunges. With lunges, you can always buy small hand weights to add to the work out as you improve, if you don't already have them. For abs, look up 'the plank' (not planking, haha) and some basic core exercises on Google. I have some I got from my physical therapist, but I don't know how to describe them. =P Avoid crunches and especially sit ups. TERRIBLE for the back. You can also just do a lot of stretching to strengthen your hamstrings. Very easy stuff.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I despise gyms. Nothing against them, but it makes me feel like a hamster.

There is nothing magical about free weights though. If you are looking specifically to gain muscle mass, i.e. hypertrophy, then the most effective way is simply to do resistance training where you max out between 8 and 12 repetitions. If you will be doing this through calisthenics, the easiest way to up the challenge on any exercise if you are at the point where you can do more than 12 repetitions is to get a weighted vest. I have a V-Max, which is by far my favorite of the brands I've tried. You can check them out at http://www.weightvest.com. The website kind of reminds me of a cheesy infomercial or something, but the product is definitely high quality lol. If this is a bit out of your price range, simply throwing a bunch of books or even some bags of sand in a backpack will work ALMOST as good.

I often do v-ups instead of situps, which essentially just means straightening your legs out and going from a laying position to a V shaped position for repetitions. Puts the emphasis more on your abs and less on your back and hip flexors.

If you want an absolutely awesome book on this type of exercise, I would recommend Never Gymless. Actually all of Ross Enamait's books are gold as far as I'm concerned, but this one focuses on bodyweight based workouts that negate the need for a fully equipped gym. I also encourage you to visit his youtube profile at http://www.youtube.com/user/rossenamait and check out some of the insane, and very creative workouts he uses. Some involve typical free weights, but most do not. The training equipment section of his forum also contains links to homemade equipment.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
I know someone that made their own weights using different sized milk jugs filled with water, sand and cement (lightest to heaviest). As a vegan, you'd probably have to get them from family or friends unless there's another product you can buy that comes in plastic jugs.

Currently, I go biking as far as I'm able whenever I can but I used to do this no weight workout when I wasn't able to leave the house at all: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...eightwkout.htm

I also liked doing this indoors for some cardio when I had the energy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqhCOlfxi6I

·
Registered
824 Posts
Use body weight as your resistance. My husband and I had been doing Rodney Yee's yoga for strength and flexibitlity and it was wonderful, yesterday I got a hankering to lift and I need heavier weights! I built some muscle doing yoga. You just need a mat and the dvd.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm gonna try the workouts in that video. Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

1. I work 60 hours a week so don't have a lot of time and on my days off I don't want to workout because I am tired from work. 2. Money. So, are there any ways I can help gain some muscle at home and without spending a lot of money? What do you guys do?
Thanks bunches!
Well, you may not consider my post very helpful, but anyway:

1) Going to the gym and lifting is probably more time-efficient than many other forms of exercise at building muscle. It will make you tired though. It can also be a bit boring depending on what you do - I did rather enjoy olympic lifting when I tried it for a while though. Throwing large weights around is a good adrenaline rush.
2) What're you doing working 60 hours a week for no money!? That said, there are probably some pretty cheap gyms in your area if you look around.

If you're set on bodyweight stuff though - pullups/chinups are fantastic upper body exercise (try jumping into them/doing negatives if you can't manage to do them straight up), and pistols are a good way of working the legs.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
look on craigslist and find yourself some dumbbells. at walmart you can get two 10-40 lb of plastic/concrete dumbbells for 39 dollars. got a chair? you're in business. there's nothing to build lean muscle like dumbbells. this with pushups/pullups and you're good.

i also despise going to the gym because i work big hours, and by the time i get there and back it takes too much out of me. better by far to have my own equipment and be able to do sets between surfing sessions, when i feel like focusing. this beats the heck out of me going to the gym and hating the workout all the way through.

for me, a livable gym is a good bench, dumbbells, exercise ball, yoga mat and a heavy bag/bag gloves and an elliptical. i have all those things now, and i'm having a great time. when i get back to florida, i'm going to enclose my front porch and make an exercise room

my advice is to keep it simple, and add to your routine slowly as you develop power. if you decide to just jump right in and start p90x stuff, that's a recipe for failure. why not get a couple of dumbbells, and spend 20 minutes 3 times a week, whenever you want to do it? if you plan small, you get real benefits - you'll be amazed at what 20 minutes 3 times a week will accomplish over 3 months.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started doing the workouts in that video and I like it a lot so far

1 - 14 of 14 Posts