VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a problem with working at a restaurant like McDonalds? Because I'm 17, the most a available jobs are fast food places. Of course I wouldn't eat anything non-vegan, but I am debating myself whether it is still a problem.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I worked in a hospital cafeteria, where TONS of meat was served. It was gross. The head chef there was a vegan, and she actually had to cook meat. But a job is a job.

Personally, I wouldn't work in a place that has meat now because I am better credentialed to work in an art museum or something, but if it is the only option available to you...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That would suck, but around that age I went through several jobs that I found unpleasant for other reasons. Eventually, I quit a job for ethical reasons and never looked back, but I was about 25 by then and getting established in the job market. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. I work at a grocery store, and have to check in meat all the time. It's gross (I thought it was gross even before I became vegetarian), but those people would be buying the meat even if I wasn't working there.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
McDonalds sucks for vegetarians... even the fries are made from death.

Perhaps, working in fast food could be made more palatable if you chose places veg*n people do go to for food. Burger King has the BK Veggie, for example... and the fries and apple pie are vegan.

As a teen, I bypassed fast food and went to work in retail. My first job was at Gap Outlet, then Goody's Family Clothing.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
The thing is that we have to live around meat no matter what. We see it on the table when we go to our families for holidays or with friends to restaurants, it is in the store where we shop, on tv etc etc. All we can do is try to avoid it as much as it is possible for us but without putting ourselves in bad situations like having no contact to loved ones or no money because this is one of the limited places we can work. so if i were you i would go for it, but maybe try to find something also while working there so that at some point you can change your job and not be around meat so much. good luck!

although i must say i never worked in fast food as a teen. i worked in a coffee shop, in market research as a person on the phone and as a cashier in a clothing store. check something like that out

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just recently got a job at a bbq place down the road. I really don't mind. It's not like I'm eating it.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
Although not edible, I work in an antique bookstore, and we have some leather books. Most books were bound in animal skin before, so it's a part of the job. I was a chef when I transitioned from l-o vegetarian to vegan, but I couldn't handle it anymore, so I quit. I love my job and wouldn't dream of doing anything else (just without the skins when I've got my own shop)!

·
Banned
841 Posts
I wouldn't enjoy it, but then maybe you can hope they'll make you a cashier so that your contact with it is minimal. Although I used to be a waitress, and now I work front desk at a hotel, which is much easier.

Being in Florida especially, I'd think you'd have plenty of options at your age, like bellhop, retail, smoothie bar, one of the theme parks, etc.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The way I see it, a job is a job. As long as it doesn't gross you out you should be fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used to be a waitress in an upclass Japanese ramen place before I realized that as a vegetarian for ethical and environmental reasons, this is really hypocritical for me. I mean, I am adopting this diet to reduce the consumption of animals and yet as a waitress I would have to recommend the most popular dishes, which all happened to be pork-based. I thought it was just against my ethics to keep recommending these dishes so I eventually quit and looked for a vegetarian restaurant.
It turned out better than I expected because I found a Japanese vegetarian restaurant where I could eat all the sushi that I wanted, and sushi is like my favorite food ever!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnisheep View Post

I used to be a waitress in an upclass Japanese ramen place before I realized that as a vegetarian for ethical and environmental reasons, this is really hypocritical for me. I mean, I am adopting this diet to reduce the consumption of animals and yet as a waitress I would have to recommend the most popular dishes, which all happened to be pork-based. I thought it was just against my ethics to keep recommending these dishes so I eventually quit and looked for a vegetarian restaurant.
It turned out better than I expected because I found a Japanese vegetarian restaurant where I could eat all the sushi that I wanted, and sushi is like my favorite food ever!
as a big sushi fanatic myself i want to ask you how big is the variety of vegetarian sushi where you work? i am always interested finding out about new types other than avocado, cucumber and asparagus

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I live in a small town, where the only jobs available for my age is either Dairy Queen or A&W.
I don't really want to work at either, but I might have to at some point.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

as a big sushi fanatic myself i want to ask you how big is the variety of vegetarian sushi where you work? i am always interested finding out about new types other than avocado, cucumber and asparagus
Well the avocado maki was one of the best-sellers but the sushi chef did make a mango maki once (not in the menu). He just made it for our boss and the waitresses got to eat the leftovers. It was really really good! Apart from that, the other best sellers were the salmon maki and unagi (eel) maki. The "salmon" is fake raw salmon which is actually made from potatoes. The texture is really authentic! As for the unagi, it's actually tofu, not even TVP. Most customers, even non-vegetarians, always marvel at how our chef was able to make the texture and taste feel so authentic. I've had a British customer before who told me that that particular restaurant was the best Japanese veg*n one that he has been to.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnisheep View Post

Well the avocado maki was one of the best-sellers but the sushi chef did make a mango maki once (not in the menu). He just made it for our boss and the waitresses got to eat the leftovers. It was really really good! Apart from that, the other best sellers were the salmon maki and unagi (eel) maki. The "salmon" is fake raw salmon which is actually made from potatoes. The texture is really authentic! As for the unagi, it's actually tofu, not even TVP. Most customers, even non-vegetarians, always marvel at how our chef was able to make the texture and taste feel so authentic. I've had a British customer before who told me that that particular restaurant was the best Japanese veg*n one that he has been to.
oh thats amazing, that does indeed sound like the best Japanese vegetarian place i heard of! salmon maki is the one food i am dreaming of getting in vegetarian

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

oh thats amazing, that does indeed sound like the best Japanese vegetarian place i heard of! salmon maki is the one food i am dreaming of getting in vegetarian
Well if you decide to go to Singapore one day just tell me and maybe I can bring you there! I have quit last month actually so no more free sushi for me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I agree with other posters, you do what you have to to make ends meet. It sucks. I may be getting work as a cashier soon, and will also have to scan meat and dairy items, and eggs.
I'm not sure if I'll engage people in conversation about it or not - obviously I won't be getting into too many details, but maybe every now and then, if an opportunity comes up. I can certainly do things like recommend people buy the soy milk instead of cow's, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts