VeggieBoards banner

Worcesterhire sauce

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  punkmommy 
#1 ·
I'm finding it a bit of a bugger to find meat-free worcestershire sauce. It seems as though lea & perrins has a monopoly on the British market for worcestershire sauce. That's all hunky-dorey, but I've searched all over Blackpool, and I cannot find any worcestershire sauce which doesn't contain anchovies.

So if there are any UK vegetarians out there who know the wheres and whats of buying meat-free worcesterhsire sauce, then please tell me, because I really do not know what I'm looking for, where to find it, or whether ther eis actually such thing as worcestershire sauce that doesn't contain anchovies. i've also checked vegweb's recipe directory, but I'm stuck because half the ingredients on the list are unknown to me. I don't know where in Blakcpool i'd get them from, and I really do want to have some worcestershire sauce.

So please!!! Someone tell me where i can get vegetarian worcestershire sauce. It seems as though tescos, asda, kwik save, safeways, and even booths (Which is the most veg*n friendly place in the area) don't seem to have some kind of worcestershire sauce sans le poisson.

I would appreciate any help whatsoever! Thanks!!

#4 ·
I'm looking for somewhere where I can just buy it. But thanks anyway guys. I just found out that there's an indy HFS a couple of miles away, which is strange because it's the place i got a few additive-free things from during my hyperactive days. I just forgot about the place! Hopefully, they'll carry soemthing. If not, hopefully, H&B will start stocking some.

#6 ·
I've seen them at Whole Foods Market. Here is a recipe in a new book I just bought yesterday. I haven't tried this, though, so I can't vouch for it.

Worcestershire Sauce - Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer

1/2 C apple cider vinegar

2 TB Bragg's Aminos

2 tsp water

1 tsp dry sweetener

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp pepper

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool. Store in the refrigerator in a clean container with a tight-fitting lid. Makes aobut 3/4 Cup.

#7 ·
Yeha. i got is PM'd to me by punkmommy. I'll give it a go, though i don't think braggs liquid aminos is available in England, so i'll have to find a substitution. And also, I dunno what it means by dry sweetner - Will sugar do?

#10 ·
Well, white sugar is fine for me. Much of th American sugar is done with bone char, but in the UK, it's limestone that they use.

And I can sub it for soy sauce??? Excellent!! I'll have to make some worcestershire sauce when i can get soem apple cider vinegar. (It's not in the kitchen or the kwik save, so I'll see what I can do. I have seen it before though.)

#12 ·
I'm not one to worry about the way sugar is processed anyway, but I guess it's positive that they're using limestone. (That's tate & lyle which use limestone - I've heard that much of the other brands are vegan as well.)

Anyways, cider vinegar is on this week's shopping list! I'll see how it turns out. Any idea how long this stuff keeps? I was thinking of putting it in an old soy sauce bottle or something like that. so it's there when i want it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.