VeggieBoards banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I expect to spend this Valentine's Day the same way as every other Valentine's Day in my life... doing my normal business, hoping I don't have to see too many couples making out as I go through my routine. I'm not really all that sad about it (only a little), and I agree with what was said before about V-Day being meaningless for couples who don't already express their affection to each other.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

the key to good female gift giving is listen to them all year and write down anything they mention liking or wanting. instead of getting them roses remember a kind of flower they really liked and get those.
i spent 3 months complaining to all my friends that i couldnt get a particular movie to download, then on v-day a very close 'friend' of mine gave me a vhs of it (i can only play dvds on the puter)! i was sooo excited! i told everyone i know about this thoughtful gift!

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
a lot of people think that flowers are a bad gift

i think flowers are great ! but i get flowers kind of often - not just for valentines but probably about every month or so (lucky to have such a caring boyfriend i guess)

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianZebra View Post

I think cut flowers are just as thoughtless of a gift as cheap chocolates & stuffed animals - i just see it as money wasted on something that's just going to look pretty for a few days and then what?
I agree - in the context of someone who's sick, too. I always take/send them a potted plant, eg sansevieria, instead. I think of it as a gift of life rather than of dying.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had an amazing Valentines Day and there were no cut flowers. There were deep dark chocolate dipped strawberries, there was wine and a loaf on the beach, there were wild flowers on the bluff (what a shock in February) and an incredible sunset. I don't think that I have the energy to have every day be Valentines Day.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Any Kind of Power Tool

Repeat after us: belt sanders are not sexy. Practical gifts

are great for Christmas and birthdays, but not this holiday.

We love that you notice that we need that self-cleaning

litter box. We just don't want one gift-wrapped on the most

romantic day of the year.
Laura snyder obviously has not run into the likes of me. I love power tools. I am really practical-minded and I would welcome a dishwasher that works properly as a gift on any occasion. Random orbital sander...come to momma!

And isn't a vibrator a "power tool"?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

the key to good female gift giving is listen to them ....
Exactly. I easily fail to recall gifts of flowers, chocolate, etc. I do however, vividly remember the laundry tickets (stupid things you had to use in the washing machine) that my college bf gave to me, or the Princess Bride poster that came my way after I'd failed to win it on eBay like 17 times, or when an old flame made a special trip so that he could show up at my door with these (insanely good, but not vegan
) blueberry donuts.

A good listener = sexy as hell.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had a pretty nice Valentine's day, myself, as my S/O did something nice for ME as well. I had a dozen roses sent to her office (I feel if a woman's friends aren't at least a little jealous on V-day, you, as a man, have not done your job), but didn't expect anything in return. Instead, she took me out for a nice dinner, and got me a little stuffed toy with two dogs that sing "I got you babe" like Sonny & Cher.

It wasn't the gifts that did it for me so much as the pleasant surprise. I know V-day is supposed to be about men doing it for the women, but speaking as a guy, it's nice to have those tables turned once in awhile. We guys like attention, and to feel special, on occasion as well.

The Rev

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I wouldn't mind chocolates if they weren't some generic box from a pharmacy. I don't like flowers for holiday/birthday type gifts because I don't think they're thoughtful at all. I think they're just like "Duhhh girls like flowers." As an anyday sort of gift though, they're a nice thinking of you. I would actually LIKE to get a power tool... I want one of those cordless drills with the battery pack thats seperate from the base, that you clip onto your belt so its lightweight. If a guy remembered I wanted one of those, I'd be impressed and greatful.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I've never had a v-day gift other than candies from my dad, but I can still chime in...

I get flowers just about every time I do a play. you can always tell I'm doing a show because my house looks like a funeral home. They're nice and traditional and I always appreciate them, but pretty soon, the house is full of dead flowers and it all has to be cleaned up. I've gotten so many bouquets that, about half the time, I can tell you where you got the flowers either by the wrapping, the card, or the bouquest itself. Flowers on valentine's day for me would get you a polite thank-you and I'd think, "how nice. he thought of me."

My younger sister, on the other hand, has never been in a play or dance show. She's gotten flowers once. from me. I had them sent to her school. She was so touched that she cried. When they started to dry out, she asked me to press them for her and she still has a few of them pressed.

so yeah- do something that shows you know the girl. For some girls, flowers are perfect. For others, not so much.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I wouldn't mind chocolates if they weren't some generic box from a pharmacy. I don't like flowers for holiday/birthday type gifts because I don't think they're thoughtful at all. I think they're just like "Duhhh girls like flowers."
I've been in situations where I caught hell if I *didn't* give flowers. Maybe it's sort of like the door-opening thing: some women expect it, some see it as a courtesy, some are offended if a guy tries. And there's no way for us to know beforehand which way to go. It's a conspiricy, I tell you 8^)

Quote:
As an anyday sort of gift though, they're a nice thinking of you. I would actually LIKE to get a power tool... I want one of those cordless drills with the battery pack thats seperate from the base, that you clip onto your belt so its lightweight. If a guy remembered I wanted one of those, I'd be impressed and greatful.
I've found those to be really useful when doing work stuff, especially with machine screws. With wood screws I've had better luck with a corded drill.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I don't really care for stuffed animals, but if it was a stuffed cow, I'd be happy. I actually have a cow named after my boyfriend up at college with me that my aunt bought me...and no, I don't get freaky with it.

I don't know, I think it all depends on the woman. Some like power sanders and toolbelts and blenders, some like flowers, candy, jewerly, and some just want quality time. I'd be happy with anything that shows he cares and is trying.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts