VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in northern Indiana, and winters here are very cold. The air is dry and the wind is fierce. And it murders my skin. My skin is already very dry, and I'm extremely prone to eczema and sometimes other funky red bumps on my arms, and winter is only making it worse. Any help? Extreme lotions? I'm not vegan, but because of my eczema, I can't use any lotions with fragrances, colors, or harsh chemicals. That's about it! Everyone else: bundle up for winter!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just got myself a little bottle of pure (purified ?) argan oil. Not sure if this is available in the US but it's 100% vegan and simple, pure oil. The argan oil we have here comes from Morrocco. It's a bit like olive oil but has no smell. It does not leave an oily film as it penetrates the skin quite well. After 30 minutes you can't tell you used any oil.

If you need alternatives, I would try almond oil. Vegetable oils are certainly worth a try and very economical, you only need a few drops at a time.

http://www.dietobio.com/aliments/en/argan.html

and it looks like you can get it online :

http://www.wildwoodgroves.com/

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i live in the northeast US and have the same problems.

i tend to use things which have nut or coconut oil or shea butter as the main ingredient. specifically i like to use Alba products, but my mom has good luck even with pure coconut oil.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Arbonne has really gentle and safe moisturizers and oils that are recommended for those with eczema and psoriasis. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
A good lotion, lots of water, and a shot of UV. I know this isn't the most popular approach. But when I tan I notice I feel better and my "winter skin" went totally away. My father who has Psoriasis was actually prescribed this from his doctor and it work wonders for him. A shot of UV (10-15 min) once per week or once every other week would prob make a difference.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have bad eczema...the only thing that works for me is using a goat's milk bar of soap and Cetaphil lotion. Because you may not have those things available I would suggest a moisturizer with a high oil content and low water content. It's unfortunate, but because every skin is different the best thing to really do is do trial and error. I've probably tried about 20 different moisturizers, and cetaphil was the only one that worked for me. It's also important to keep your skin covered this time of year and to apply moisturizer right before bed and right after the shower. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My skin gets really dry in winter, and my doctor thinks i have eczema. Lately i have to put cream on my hands numerous times a day. Burt's Bees stuff works pretty well for me. Most of that stuff is really mild. Aveeno is good too.

My lips get really dry and chapped too. Even if i am not outside.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My hands have gotten really bad. I put moisturizing cream or almond or coconut oil on my hands and then wear special gloves (which I got at Bed Bath & Beyond). I only do this at night but it really seems to have helped. They have special socks if you want to do this with your feet also.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I get eczema patches and get EXTREMELY dry skin in the winter, so bad that I scratch cause its itchy and I bleed and get all scabby.. it's gross.. anyway..

I recommend Aquaphor Ointment to put on at night. It's really really greasy, like vasoline, only thicker, but it really works and seals in moisture better than anything I've used before. For "daytime" moisturization (hands, etc.. because the aquaphor that I put on at night after a shower still makes the water bead up on my skin the next night in the shower) I use Gold Bond Ultimate Healing, which I've found to be the next best thing to aquaphor, and more practical cause it's not greasy.

ETA: Aquaphor is no dyes/perfumes/etc... You could also do Eucerin which is the lotion equiv to Aquaphor ointment, and I believe that is also no dyes/perfumes, etc.. I think the Gold Bond stuff has some fragrance or something, but it doesn't really smell like anything.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I take oatmeal baths once or twice a week. You can do the old oatmeal in some pantyhose method. I just grind mine up in the coffee grinder and stir it in the water to soak.

I also up my water intake by 2 glasses (probably doesn't do anything, but its a try). Also, using gloves at night after putting lotion on them works well. Wear cotton Pj's after moisturizing. As for my face... its hard not to have a dry face.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have terribly dry skin in the winter. In the past I scratched so hard I would draw blood. On one leg the dry skin is worse because I broke that leg recently and the skin got infected and It will never be normal. My doctor told me to avoid bathing in hot water as it sucks the natural oil out of your skin, and also prematurely ages you. Only bathe in cool and luke warm water. I now usually take quick showers-- it saves water too, but it is not as fun as a soaking bath. It is pretty hard to do this in the winter-- obviously it is cold and you want to be warm. Many people take far too many Hot baths. Hot water baths are nice and warm but they are also unnatural. Human skin was not ment to take frequent hot baths. It screws up your skin and drys your hair too. After a bath (warm water only) immediately moisturize. It really dosent matter what brand or type you use as long as it traps in the water moisture. Dont use soap either-- it is far too harsh. Only use soap when you are really filthy-- instead use a moisturising lotion -type cleaser. Even regular lotion would be okay. good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts