VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has had success in finding smartish women's winter coats that are not a wool blend? Where? Responses in the UK are especially welcome. Not that I have the money for one at the moment
but hopefully I'll be able to around my birthday (January).

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more something this style

just not wool.

I saw a beautiful teal one like this one the way home on the bus (um...worn by somebody, not on it's own
)

right now I'm in an army parka I adore but is looking the worse for wear and rarely allows me to fasten it up XD A parka may be my next choice too if I can't find a non-wool one in this style.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ohh. I was looking for a vegan peacoat for a while, too, and I couldn't find one anywhere. Not one I liked, anyway. There is always this one, but it's a bit too bulky for me.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know the proper names for clothes

Thanks for that. Knowing the term will probably make it easier to look for

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found it! I think! A shortish red peacoat that is cotton and polyester from NEXT.

Now, I just need £60...hmm...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had a terrible time finding a winter coat this year. I wanted a puffy white one, but all the synthetic ones were stuffed with down. Finally I found a puffy white one with fake-fur trim, all man-made materials, at Suzy Shier (in Canada). For $49, no less!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

I had a terrible time finding a winter coat this year.
Same here! They're all wool or down filled this year, but last year microfibre was all over the place. This year, not so much.

I love Suzy Shier, but they usually don't have the kinds of coats I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's difficult to find a warm, puffy jacket that isn't down filled. I found one I liked in the Jc penney catalogue.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got a nice cotton jacket that's really warm a bit like the first pic you posted in Covent Garden in London, but I think that's a bit far away for you. I've never had a huge problem finding coats, but I do a lot of shopping in non-chain shops in London, and a lot of them lean towards a vegan/enviromental vibe.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
iso..did you only want to look at a brick and mortar store? There are a whole bunch of places in the UK that sell wool-like coats online.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Very cute^^^.

Have you considered second-hand? We have some great vintage clothing stores in town where you can get some great deals on coats. Although I can understand not wanting even "used" wool!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
H&M = Owns all

My coats from there and is made of cordouroy (but is below-knee trenchcoat stylie) and is BOILING. It also cost £35 full price wayhay.

They have loads of coats in there made of cottony like things, which still look thickish. They have wooly looking ones too im not sure what theyre made of though...

argh, im still looking for decent "leather" gloves. for some reason even primarks now doing real leather ones. I thought all the cheapie high street shops would have fake ones =( I saw some in peacocks but they were like putting binbags on your hands. booo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ive been looking for a nice (men's) winter peacoat for a long time and i have been unsuccessful. currently i still wear the same peacoat i got as a christmas present from when i was 17 and unfortunately it is wool, but i can't afford another one at the moment. i wear the peacoat on extremely rare occasions where i feel the cold is just going to be unbearable. i'm a fan of layering. if anyone has any suggestions of thick[er] mens coats that aren't wool, stuffed with down or made with fake[dog] fur that would be awesome! for now i wear a thermal, t-shirt,hoodie and a jean jacket with a scarf. it works well but sometimes it just gets annoying undressing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts