If you are allergic to wine chances are you are sulfite sensitive or have a sulfite allergy. you may want to avoid wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar maybe ok with you. I am sulfite sensitve, I can tolerate small amounts of wine vinegar and naturally occuring sulfites in food. and a single glass of wine with food. Anymore than a single glass of wine or dried fruit with sulfur dioxide added I am dizzy with a stomachache soooo bad that I am doubled over in pain.
You can use apple cider vinegar, Braggs aminos, orange juice apple juice, cranberry juice, vegetable stock, cooking liquid from beans.
Its the sulfates. I get the same kind of odd light headed dizziness and nausea when I eat dried fruit with sulfer dioxide. I love dried fruit too, so that sucks, but I have found sulfate free dried fruit at the health food store, so I buy that. I don't care for wine, or alcohol at all, so I don't care much about missing out except that I love to cook! I don't want to screw up a recipe from leaving out the wine. When I was younger my dad didn't believe me, he thought I just didn't like wine, and he'd cook with it, and I'd be up all night with the chills and horrible nausea and I couldn't figure out what the heck happened the next day he'd be like "See? You liked dinner last night and I used wine" and i'd be like "YOU *******!! I WAS UP SICK ALL NIGHT"
he's since stopped... tho he did mix his dried pineapple (sulfates) with mine (sulfate freeeeeee) recently and I got pissed. haha.
I am very concerned as your symptoms appear to be a SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION and this is VERY DANGEROUS.
It is described at the Mayo Clinic Website under Anaphylatic Shock or Anaphylaxis. I KNOW BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THERE AND HAVE SEEN OTHERS THERE. When my allergies start to close my throat, I NEED to take a benadryl-like pill, and if breathing and throat don't get controlled quick (like within 2 to 4 minutes), I have my epi-pen handy, and a plan to call 911. My last episode took place with the last Flu shot in 2009. Now I monitor all my allergies including sulfites!!! Good Luck.
Anaphylaxis symptoms usually occur within minutes of exposure to an allergen. Sometimes, however, anaphylaxis can occur a half-hour or longer after exposure. Anaphylaxis symptoms include:
Skin reactions, including hives along with itching, and flushed or pale skin (almost always present with anaphylaxis)
A feeling of warmth
The sensation of a lump in your throat
Constriction of the airways and a swollen tongue or throat, which can cause wheezing and trouble breathing
A weak and rapid pulse
Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Dizziness or fainting
When to see a doctor
Seek emergency medical help if you, your child or someone else you're with has a severe allergic reaction.
If the person having the attack carries an epinephrine autoinjector (such as an EpiPen or EpiPen Jr), give him or her a shot right away. Even if symptoms improve after an emergency epinephrine injection, a visit to the emergency department is still necessary to make sure symptoms don't return.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to vegetarian, vegans, and vegetable enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about agriculture, preparation, cooking, recipes, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!