VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm allergic to wine so I don't even cook with it (lands me with a terrible stomach ache) but so many recipes call for wine. Is there something else I could add instead?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,202 Posts
It depends on the recipe:

In spaghetti sauce, leave it out or add a touch of balsamic vinegar (or wine vinegar if you like it).

If it's the primary liquid in a recipe, you can substitute stock, juice (apple or unsweetened grape), or even water.

Do you drink beer? Sometimes you can substitute that.

If you have any particular recipes that you're trying to substitute, feel free to post them and maybe I can suggest something.

(btw, what about the wine are you allergic to? tannins? yeast?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,590 Posts
In chinese recipies, I've found that seasoned rice vinegar substitutes for sherry or mirin. It should be used in smaller amounts though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
A lot of wine is run through animal charcoal filters. Maybe you're having a reaction to the animal products since your body has gotten unused to it. ????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
If you are allergic to wine chances are you are sulfite sensitive or have a sulfite allergy. you may want to avoid wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar maybe ok with you. I am sulfite sensitve, I can tolerate small amounts of wine vinegar and naturally occuring sulfites in food. and a single glass of wine with food. Anymore than a single glass of wine or dried fruit with sulfur dioxide added I am dizzy with a stomachache soooo bad that I am doubled over in pain.

You can use apple cider vinegar, Braggs aminos, orange juice apple juice, cranberry juice, vegetable stock, cooking liquid from beans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the sulfates. I get the same kind of odd light headed dizziness and nausea when I eat dried fruit with sulfer dioxide. I love dried fruit too, so that sucks, but I have found sulfate free dried fruit at the health food store, so I buy that. I don't care for wine, or alcohol at all, so I don't care much about missing out except that I love to cook! I don't want to screw up a recipe from leaving out the wine. When I was younger my dad didn't believe me, he thought I just didn't like wine, and he'd cook with it, and I'd be up all night with the chills and horrible nausea and I couldn't figure out what the heck happened the next day he'd be like "See? You liked dinner last night and I used wine" and i'd be like "YOU *******!! I WAS UP SICK ALL NIGHT"

he's since stopped... tho he did mix his dried pineapple (sulfates) with mine (sulfate freeeeeee) recently and I got pissed. haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
except when i eat them i get this wierd breathing problem with a scratchy throat. I have asthma, so maybe it triggers it in a different way because it's not quite like an asthma attack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I am very concerned as your symptoms appear to be a SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION and this is VERY DANGEROUS.

It is described at the Mayo Clinic Website under Anaphylatic Shock or Anaphylaxis. I KNOW BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THERE AND HAVE SEEN OTHERS THERE. When my allergies start to close my throat, I NEED to take a benadryl-like pill, and if breathing and throat don't get controlled quick (like within 2 to 4 minutes), I have my epi-pen handy, and a plan to call 911. My last episode took place with the last Flu shot in 2009. Now I monitor all my allergies including sulfites!!! Good Luck.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anaphylaxis/basics/definition/CON-20014324

Anaphylaxis symptoms usually occur within minutes of exposure to an allergen. Sometimes, however, anaphylaxis can occur a half-hour or longer after exposure. Anaphylaxis symptoms include:

  • Skin reactions, including hives along with itching, and flushed or pale skin (almost always present with anaphylaxis)
  • A feeling of warmth
  • The sensation of a lump in your throat
  • Constriction of the airways and a swollen tongue or throat, which can cause wheezing and trouble breathing
  • A weak and rapid pulse
  • Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
  • Dizziness or fainting
When to see a doctor

Seek emergency medical help if you, your child or someone else you're with has a severe allergic reaction.

If the person having the attack carries an epinephrine autoinjector (such as an EpiPen or EpiPen Jr), give him or her a shot right away. Even if symptoms improve after an emergency epinephrine injection, a visit to the emergency department is still necessary to make sure symptoms don't return.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top