VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm allergic to wine so I don't even cook with it (lands me with a terrible stomach ache) but so many recipes call for wine. Is there something else I could add instead?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It depends on the recipe:<br><br><br><br>
In spaghetti sauce, leave it out or add a touch of balsamic vinegar (or wine vinegar if you like it).<br><br><br><br>
If it's the primary liquid in a recipe, you can substitute stock, juice (apple or unsweetened grape), or even water.<br><br><br><br>
Do you drink beer? Sometimes you can substitute that.<br><br><br><br>
If you have any particular recipes that you're trying to substitute, feel free to post them and maybe I can suggest something.<br><br><br><br>
(btw, what about the wine are you allergic to? tannins? yeast?)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
In chinese recipies, I've found that seasoned rice vinegar substitutes for sherry or mirin. It should be used in smaller amounts though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
A lot of wine is run through animal charcoal filters. Maybe you're having a reaction to the animal products since your body has gotten unused to it. ????

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you are allergic to wine chances are you are sulfite sensitive or have a sulfite allergy. you may want to avoid wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar maybe ok with you. I am sulfite sensitve, I can tolerate small amounts of wine vinegar and naturally occuring sulfites in food. and a single glass of wine with food. Anymore than a single glass of wine or dried fruit with sulfur dioxide added I am dizzy with a stomachache soooo bad that I am doubled over in pain.<br><br><br><br>
You can use apple cider vinegar, Braggs aminos, orange juice apple juice, cranberry juice, vegetable stock, cooking liquid from beans.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the sulfates. I get the same kind of odd light headed dizziness and nausea when I eat dried fruit with sulfer dioxide. I love dried fruit too, so that sucks, but I have found sulfate free dried fruit at the health food store, so I buy that. I don't care for wine, or alcohol at all, so I don't care much about missing out except that I love to cook! I don't want to screw up a recipe from leaving out the wine. When I was younger my dad didn't believe me, he thought I just didn't like wine, and he'd cook with it, and I'd be up all night with the chills and horrible nausea and I couldn't figure out what the heck happened the next day he'd be like "See? You liked dinner last night and I used wine" and i'd be like "YOU *******!! I WAS UP SICK ALL NIGHT"<br><br><br><br>
he's since stopped... tho he did mix his dried pineapple (sulfates) with mine (sulfate freeeeeee) recently and I got pissed. haha.

·
Registered
892 Posts
except when i eat them i get this wierd breathing problem with a scratchy throat. I have asthma, so maybe it triggers it in a different way because it's not quite like an asthma attack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>I am very concerned as your symptoms appear to be a SEVERE ALLERGIC REACTION and this is VERY DANGEROUS.</p>
<p>It is described at the Mayo Clinic Website under Anaphylatic Shock or Anaphylaxis.  I KNOW BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THERE AND HAVE SEEN OTHERS THERE.  When my allergies start to close my throat, I NEED to take a benadryl-like pill, and if breathing and throat don't get controlled quick (like within 2 to 4 minutes), I have my epi-pen handy, and a plan to call 911.  My last episode took place with the last Flu shot in 2009.  Now I monitor all my allergies including sulfites!!!  Good Luck.</p>
<p style="color:rgb(17,17,17);margin-bottom:12px;"><a href="http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anaphylaxis/basics/definition/CON-20014324" target="_blank">http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anaphylaxis/basics/definition/CON-20014324</a></p>
<p style="color:rgb(17,17,17);margin-bottom:12px;">Anaphylaxis symptoms usually occur within minutes of exposure to an allergen. Sometimes, however, anaphylaxis can occur a half-hour or longer after exposure. Anaphylaxis symptoms include:</p>
<ul style="color:rgb(17,17,17);margin-bottom:12px;margin-left:24px;"><li style="margin-bottom:6px;">Skin reactions, including hives along with itching, and flushed or pale skin (almost always present with anaphylaxis)</li>
<li style="margin-bottom:6px;">A feeling of warmth</li>
<li style="margin-bottom:6px;">The sensation of a lump in your throat</li>
<li style="margin-bottom:6px;">Constriction of the airways and a swollen tongue or throat, which can cause wheezing and trouble breathing</li>
<li style="margin-bottom:6px;">A weak and rapid pulse</li>
<li style="margin-bottom:6px;">Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea</li>
<li style="margin-bottom:6px;">Dizziness or fainting</li>
</ul><h4 style="color:rgb(17,17,17);margin-bottom:10px;padding-bottom:0px;">When to see a doctor</h4>
<p style="color:rgb(17,17,17);margin-bottom:12px;"><strong>Seek emergency medical help</strong> if you, your child or someone else you're with has a severe allergic reaction.</p>
<p style="color:rgb(17,17,17);margin-bottom:12px;">If the person having the attack carries an epinephrine autoinjector (such as an EpiPen or EpiPen Jr), give him or her a shot right away. Even if symptoms improve after an emergency epinephrine injection, a visit to the emergency department is still necessary to make sure symptoms don't return.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts