VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer is new and only a few months old but it still has the 'old system'

It says on the label windows vista capable.

Is it worth it? Has anyone got it here yet?.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Okay, for WINDOWS users.... Is Vista worth upgrading to?

Most of what I've read is that it adds a lot of features, without adding much function. And that Mac users like it, cuz it's pretty....

I don't plan on upgrading.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wait on Vista upgrades until the newest drivers are out of beta, and the price drops. Also look for a full version and make sure you can do a clean install.

Satyagraha, how do you get first post on a MS question when you are so proud of the fact that you have nothing to do with MS products? Reeks of insecurity.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
While I have not used it and likely will not I've only heard bad things about it. It's still in the ironing out the bugs stage. For example, a number of ISPs do not, as yet, support it, so if you want to use your broadband with it you'll just have to wait. There's also a rumor flying around, it even made the newspapers, that Vista will either disable or delete illegal downloads of certain sorts (not MS products, other products apparently) but I don't know how much veracity I'd put into that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with Sketchy, WAIT.

If your current setup is not broke then don't fix it. I would wait at least 6 months until you consider purchasing it.

IE7 was in beta for ever and it finally came out and it still can't interpret web pages correctly. Vista will be in beta for a long time to come even after they start charging for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

I am personally starting to seriously think about a Macintosh with Intel processor's and the Rosetta software (windows translating). I am convinced that a MAC (based on Unix) is superior but have never wanted to switch because of the cross compatibility. Macintosh is making it much easier now and many more software developers are deigning for Mac and PC now that Mac has the intel processor. It will still be a bit longer for Mac to really take off but I would really like to get a new Mac someday, the Rosetta software will run many non-cpu intensive programs. Most programs that the average desktop user use never even use 500 Mhz anyways. For the programs like photoshop and premiere and sound editing or SETI etc you would need to get native Mac programs.

I have been working with computers for nearly 10 years now and have assembled 5 from scratch.

So..Wait.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Personally... from what little I've seen/used of it, I don't like it. I'm getting my upgrade sent out to me, but I'm still contemplating whether or not to use it when it does arrive here. I'm still not sold on the security issues and backwards compatability.

I bought a laptop with a free* (*meaning you pay $50 for shipping an envelope containing a Vista disc) upgrade so that would be the only reason why I'd even consider upgrading.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Okay, for WINDOWS users.... Is Vista worth upgrading to?
No, it is worth them moving to a free system where they are not branded a criminal for sharing software with their friends.

GNU/Linux is also a heck of a lot prettier than Vista or Mac OS X if you install something like Beryl.

But if you feel like being trapped by a monopoly then have fun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post

I installed in two days ago. So far, I have mixed feelings.

Before my opinion, a disclaimer: I'm not a big Windows fan either. Prior to Vista I was running Ubuntu Linux, because XP wouldn't install on my laptop and Ubuntu did. When Vista came out, I decided to switch back to Windows for my main computer for work reasons.

The interface is the best thing it's got going for it. The Aero interface is top notch. As far as form and function. They've added a gadget sidebar/concept that's been around in the Linux world for a while but is very nicely implemented. I have a Gmail plugin checking my mail, an RSS news reader and a clock there so far. It's a handy little utility. The interface itself is really smooth, flows from Window to Window cleanly, nice transparency. When you ALT-tab, instead of seeing icons you see little previews of the windows themselves. All very impressive.

The rest of Vista is... ok. Pretty hit and miss so far. It crashes every daily, generally a few times a day. Most of the time it's when it's coming out of hibernation. Weird.

Along with the interface change, they've changed where all the features are and what a lot of the icons look like. So it's kind of an adjustment if you're not used to it. I'm trying to stick with the new interface and figure out where everything is, if you don't want to, you can use the old XP theme.

Media integration seems tighter. Music, movies and digital photos seem easier to access and more tied to the interface.

Setup & installation was a breeze, even easier than XP (and XP is definitely not hard to setup). It was more or less a single step setup process. Answer a few questions, your computer does the rest.

My end opinion: If XP had worked on my laptop, I wouldn't have upgraded. Especially after using it. I'm not going to return it because I need Windows for work, but if you can wait six months for them to get the kinks out. Even after six months, wait until you have the money. There's no real rush, it doesn't buy you much of anything.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Agreed on the waiting. EVERY MS Operating System release has had issues at launch. Let MS, and the hardware/software vendors catch up. A rule of thumb many happily quote is to wait for the first service pack.

One minor point, Elijah, Rosetta is a ppc dynamic translator for older os x software. If you want Windows compatability, I highly recommend Parallels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post

the Rosetta software (windows translating). I am convinced that a MAC (based on Unix) is superior but have never wanted to switch because of the cross compatibility.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post

What I was told by someone at Microsoft was to just wait until I got a new PC.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyagraha View Post

No, it is worth them moving to a free system where they are not branded a criminal for sharing software with their friends.

GNU/Linux is also a heck of a lot prettier than Vista or Mac OS X if you install something like Beryl.

But if you feel like being trapped by a monopoly then have fun.
So you must work for free?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was tempted to buy it yesterday but didnt. It was being offered for $250AU as an upgrade package which was a lot better than $750 but, I still think I'll wait a while.

·
Registered
897 Posts
.. $750AU? Holy crikey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

I was tempted to buy it yesterday but didnt. It was being offered for $250AU as an upgrade package which was a lot better than $750 but, I still think I'll wait a while.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes, it's insane what they sell it for in New Zealand also, but they have such a strangle hold here that they can charge what they want and people will pay it, they don't know there are alternatives, that are even better and cheaper.

I'm surprised that so many people here are happy to support this monopoly, but would be against many other monopolies.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for input folks, think I will wait, like everything else in life. wait long enough and it not only gets cheaper but better.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it's insane what they sell it for in New Zealand also, but they have such a strangle hold here that they can charge what they want and people will pay it, they don't know there are alternatives, that are even better and cheaper.

I'm surprised that so many people here are happy to support this monopoly, but would be against many other monopolies.
So is MS a monopoly or not? Your first point here is that there ARE alternatives (not available in a monopoly situation) and your second point is that people are supporting a monopoly by choice (by definition a monopoly offers NO choice).

So which is it? If MS is a monopoly, then Unix/Linux/OSX must be figments of our collective imagination. If MS is NOT a monopoly then why do you complain so bitterly every time someone has the audacity to mention a Windowed product within 1000 metres of you?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Quote:

No, why would you think that?

I think that you're confusing free software with software that is $0. That is called freeware and is different.

Here is the definition of free software. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
I am not confusing anything. I find it odd that you think you should get paid for the work you do but programmers shouldn't.

BTW never saw you post about your trip to China..... not as enjoyable as you thought it might be?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts