VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bit the bullet and upgraded to windows 7 64 bit ultimate. got both 32 and 64 bit version off ebay for 150. so far, i'm very impressed.

my box:
intel quad core, asus motherboard
8 gig ram
2 pci express slots with nvidia 210 video cards (not for high end gaming, but fine for video)
1 pci nvdia 6200 video card, since i'm running 3 monitors
4 500 gig wd hard drives, running raid 10.

all in all, a big improvement in performance from windows xp. the only glitches thus far had to do with me trying to run 2 different pci video cards. i bought a second identical nvidia 210, and the problems vanished.

anyone else running this os?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I run it on all my computers and I'm really happy with it. Works like it did the first day and I've run it since release a year and a half ago.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm loving it as well. I have Windows 7 64 bit on an quad core system with 8 gigs of ram and a terabyte of hard drive space on the drive it's installed on and I'm looking at this post on a 21inch 1980x1080 resolution monitor with a 19inch 1440x990 set up right next to it. Life is good. Before this I was running Vista and although I didn't have any bugs or technical problems with it, I was a really disappointment with it. I've been running Windows 7 for about 8 months now and I love it completely and totally.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I still haven't bit the bullet, even though I could have gotten a free upgrade on my lappy if I hadn't forgotten about the paperwork until it was too late. I check the prices on the upgrade every so often, but I'm not willing to spend $120 for it.

But as I'm one of the few (it seems) people who haven't had a problem with Vista, I'm not in a huge rush to move to 7. Now if were talking about moving from ME to XP, that would be a different story. Microsoft should STILL be deeply embarrassed about ME.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I love Windows 7. I skipped straight from XP so can't really comment on Vista though.
Same here. I've had Windows XP on my boxes for ten years now and only recently upgraded to Windows 7 because my new desktop came with it. I'm quite happy to have skipped over Vista altogether.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when you consider how much hard drive space you really need, i ended up with a terabyte after putting together my four drives in a raid 10 config. this way, i can lose 2 drives simultaneously without going down, there's no algorithm crunching load on the processor and overall disk speed is also enhanced. since i already had two 7200 rpm western digitals, it was easy just to add 2 more and have raid 10. my programs don't need anywhere close to that, and i'm buying a 1 tb external drive for backup. it's simply amazing how cheap this is all getting. it was just 120 bucks to get the 2 more wd 500's for raid 10. how can you say no to that?

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

when you consider how much hard drive space you really need, i ended up with a terabyte after putting together my four drives in a raid 10 config. this way, i can lose 2 drives simultaneously without going down, there's no algorithm crunching load on the processor and overall disk speed is also enhanced. since i already had two 7200 rpm western digitals, it was easy just to add 2 more and have raid 10. my programs don't need anywhere close to that, and i'm buying a 1 tb external drive for backup. it's simply amazing how cheap this is all getting. it was just 120 bucks to get the 2 more wd 500's for raid 10. how can you say no to that?
Yes, RAID 10 is definitely the best way to go, especially considering how cheap hard drives are these days. Back when a 500GB was $300 each, RAID 10 was too expensive. Now they are less than $50 each.

For extra storage if you have any extra SATA slots open, how about doing (2) 2 TB drives in a RAID 1 array? They go on sale at Newegg and Tigerdirect for $80 each all the time.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Yes, RAID 10 is definitely the best way to go, especially considering how cheap hard drives are these days. Back when a 500GB was $300 each, RAID 10 was too expensive. Now they are less than $50 each.

For extra storage if you have any extra SATA slots open, how about doing (2) 2 TB drives in a RAID 1 array? They go on sale at Newegg and Tigerdirect for $80 each all the time.
i'd have to pick up a controller card. for what it's worth, i figure if i got raid 10, and i backup to a single usb drive, create system restore disks on cd rom, etc. i'm probably pretty well covered. not to mention i have another computer on the network and i can back up to its drive as well. i'm in the middle of reinstalling all my software for windows 7, and when i get done, i'm going to burn an image of the disk. i've been migrating my personal data to things like mint.com and google calendar (just signed up for windows skydrive), so there's no risk of loss unless the world ends.

i'd sure love to have about 3k to drop on a new computer
. unfortunately, i must save my pennies for flourescent video lighting.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ah, Windows 7. Yep, comes with an MPEG2 decoder that forces its way into apps and can stop them from working. Ah, latest Windows 7 PC's where although your PC has sound input it is no longer supported by many drivers. Yay, the latest Media Player which uses the new Media Foundation to play videos - sadly lacking codecs so even if you have some old videos in Microsoft's own proprietary format just about the only player that _wont_ play 'em is Microsoft's own player! I could go on ...

But it is still way _way_ better than Vista, which I've used at work for several years yet it still comes up with something new to hack me off and waste my time.

TTFN,
Jon

·
Banned
4 Posts
Guys,,,,,,,,,,,
I recently installed my Windows 7 . Before this I had XP which was creating problems then my friend suggested me to use Windows 7 . I want to say Its a wonderful and nice Graphics windows That I did not see in XP .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts