VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. So I live in the basement and therefore don't really have access to a garden or patio type area but I do have a couple of window sills that I thought I may be able to grow things on. What would be a good thing to grow? What kind of veggies would work best? Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you have a lot of light, perhaps you could try some berries? I'm doing raspberries and redcurrants this year because they are so expensive in the shops that it seemed an economical thing to grow. Strawberries can often be bought pre-planted in nice pots so that they dont make your home look like a greenhouse.<br><br><br><br>
I like herbs on my kitchen windowsill because theyre only really good fresh, so there is no point in getting them from the shops, but whether that would be useful for you probably depends on how much you cook. A couple of garlic bulbs could also work.<br><br><br><br>
For real vegetableness, we used to grow baby carrots in a trough (outside). They were pretty low maintenance, and one of the small troughs we used to use would fit on a windowsill. We also tried putting some parsnips in there, but that didnt work so well. Also tomatoes tend not to be too difficult to grow, and the plants aren't too ugly. You might need to spray the leaves with soapy water though, to keep off fly infestations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts