VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my upcoming cake class, this doesn't matter cause I have to use what I have to use, but in real life it does. Here's the ingredients to Wilton's gel coloring. Can someone tell me if it's vegan?

Sugar, corn syrup, glycerine, water, FD & C colors yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, blue 1, vegetable gums, potassium sorbate, citric acid?

The vegan cake I have recipes that work, and the frosting is easy to convert...I do use Dreamwhip. It doesn't have any hidden animal products in it and is non dairy. My shortening is high ratio, expensive, but the results are worth it. Fondant is non refrigerated, and also expensive but it is so worth the cost. i'm trying to promote myself as a vegan cake maker...here's a picture of my latest cake: https://flic.kr/p/5882670503 The fondant is by satin Ice. It is listed as no animal products. That totally rocks!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
not sure about the dyes. But- very pretty cake!
and good luck with the promotion of vegan baker

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stumbled upon this, wondering the same thing. And I saw you didn't get an answer and you might already know by now, but, in case you don't, I found this blog about this dad who makes vegan cakes and he uses Wilton Brand for the icing colors so I think you'll be okay. Apparently, he contacted the company and they said they were vegan.

Link to the post: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2012/07/on-birthdays-and-cake.html

Snapshot of the information:

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Dream whip definitely has dairy ingredients-- casien and whey!

I recall looking at the package when I first went vegan which was before this thread started.

Checked again online--same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This cannot be vegan. I'm iffy about the glycerine, but, the red 40 is crushed beetles. I wouldn't use it.

Sugar, corn syrup, glycerine, water, FD & C colors yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, blue 1, vegetable gums, potassium sorbate, citric acid?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolwarol31 View Post

This cannot be vegan. I'm iffy about the glycerine, but, the red 40 is crushed beetles. I wouldn't use it.

According to Wikipedia, Red 40 is made from petroleum. "Despite the popular misconception, Allura Red AC [Red no 40, E129] is not derived from any insect, unlike the food colouring carmine, which is derived from the female cochineal insect."

·
Registered
998 Posts
Looks vegan to me.

Also, that fondant; it's so awesome that it's vegan, and to see it's an industry leader.

Fondant is one of the most beautiful and versatile edible materials for art. Granted, I'm not a sugar fan, but I can't help but admire the satin glow of a fondant cake. So gorgeous!

Do you want feedback on your cake decorating?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're right. I was misinformed. Thank you for letting me know. I just looked on the internet myself. This is what I found: Cochineal may be made from bugs, but other synthetic red dyes such as Red No. 2 and Red No. 40, which carry far greater health risks, are derived from either coal or petroleum byproducts. Compared with these sources, bugs might sound positively appetizing.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolwarol31 View Post

You're right. I was misinformed. Thank you for letting me know. I just looked on the internet myself. This is what I found: Cochineal may be made from bugs, but other synthetic red dyes such as Red No. 2 and Red No. 40, which carry far greater health risks, are derived from either coal or petroleum byproducts. Compared with these sources, bugs might sound positively appetizing.
Red No. 2 is no longer widely used.

But remember, just because something is petroleum derived doesn't mean it's not perfectly safe to eat in small amounts (or even large amounts).

Some petroleum derived products may be unsafe, but we shouldn't make the mistake of putting them all in the same boat :)

As long as it's not made from crushed beetles, I think it's probably fine for once in a blue (or red) moon, like at a wedding, etc. to not worry about it. Though we can argue that children today probably eat far, far too much red 40, since it's in almost everything they eat and drink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts