VeggieBoards banner

Best Willy Wonka replacement

• Christopher Walken (touch that gobstopper and I'll stab you in the eye with a souldering iron"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Keaton

• Robin Williams

• Johnny Depp (Think Ed Wood)

• Other

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so most of you already know that Tim Burton is going to remake Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. There are rumours (Walken and Keaton) about who will play Willy Wonka but nothing solid yet. So I got to thinking who do you guys think could possibly fill Gene Wilder's shoes in the role?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory

Last I heard, Burton was interested in Michael Keaton and someone I thought was a better choice, but now I'm blanking, damn it. I think it was someone else he's worked with... Christopher Walken! That's it. He'd be incredible!

There was a rumor about Marilyn Manson, but that was perpetuated by his fans, not Hollywood.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
That would be cool, too, but I've only heard him offered up for Superman, back when Burton was going to direct it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm with Danny. If it's Robin Williams, I might have to stab myself in the eye with a souldering iron.

If this movie has to be redone, at least Tim Burton is the one doing it!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked Christopher Walken because I'm pretty sure Burton is gonna stick to the musical format and we all know how well Walken can dance (I think he sings too?). Plus he just has that menacing and maniacal thing going for him.

I still think Johnny Depp would camp it up sufficiently.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Christopher Walken would be excellent! I agree with missleigh on Robin Williams, but more so if it was Billy Crystal. I'd set my hair on fire (or *someone's* hair).

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
First I've heard of it! Interesting.

I hope he makes Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, not re-makes Willy Wonka. The book was so much better than that lame movie. The only good thing about the movie was Gene Wilder.

I hope this movie rinses out the bad taste I still have after that ape movie...

DannyKass -- Henry Selick directed Nightmare before Christmas, but Burton produced (same as with James and the Giant Peach).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ah, the Tim Burton fan I am.
I really don't know who should play Wonka, though. Whoever does, I know I'll be going with my little sister, she's obsessive over that movie.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
A remake!?

*grumbles* I swear if they mess up my favourite movie... *more grumbling* I want Walken to do it. He's so...sexy. Not to mention he's the only one I can actually see in the costume.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggzie

A remake!?

*grumbles* I swear if they mess up my favourite movie... *more grumbling* I want Walken to do it. He's so...sexy. Not to mention he's the only one I can actually see in the costume.
Esp. with his freaky hair. He was actually pretty spunky when he was younger. He still appeals to me in a weird way
My friends all make vomitting noises when I say that but I think he's damn sexy, but then I think the same about Steve Buscemi...

I seriously hope he remakes it as a musical. He's the only one that could get away with it. I know he only produced The Nightmare Before Christmas but that was a great musical film.

Also I agree with everyone who said Nooooooo to Robin Williams I'm so over his manic schtick. He's a much better serious actor - One Hour Photo. I'll will stalk and beat Time Burton if he picks Billy Crystal.

I'm thinking Keaton could work but only if its really dark like the first Batman.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
This is really exciting! They could a really really great new version! Especially Tim Burton if anybody!

Wow!

I voted for Walken. I was always scared of Willy Wonka... seems to be a perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I think how well Keaton would do, cause he can be clownish, but also serious at times.. Remember some scenes in the film when willie wonka would give the evil smirk, I could see beatlejuice doing that.. but also being loveable in some of the fun scenes.

beatlejuice.. beatlejuice.. beatlejuice (did that bring keaton back?)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I've always found Christopher Walkin really creepy... not exactly Willy Wonka material in my mind, but he might surprise me. I think Gene Wilder was quite good in the role, but I guess he is getting on in years and making him do it again would tie it too closely to the old one.

The books were my favourites as a kid. Roald Dahl generally was awesome. Maybe they'll do Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator movie as a sequel. Thinking about it now... that'd be too weird.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts