VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm an atheist, and certainly not bashful about it.
I was raised Catholic, wasn't happy with it, searched around for a few years, then realized I didn't need to believe in a god/goddess to be happy. Et voila!

Veganchick, don't be threatened by atheism. You're Christian, yay you. There's a prayer thread, and you are free to start threads about how great you think being a Christian is. But please, seeing the word atheism shouldn't make you "ARG!!" It's called freedom of religion, dearie, deal with it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Well, I don't know that we're atheist. To us, that's just another label.

Having said that, we do not attend church or pray at a man-made altar, although both myself and my SO were raised with religion in our formative years.

What I do believe in is me, my friends and family. So far as I am concerned, I don't need to believe in any organized faith other than that.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I think it is just as important for an athiest on these boards to be able to express themselves freely as it is for me to be able to start a prayer thread. I cannot live their life for them nor them for me. They do not have to agree with me to still be people who are compassionate, ethical, and noble. Everyone must walk their own path, and no one should be excluded because of their faith or lack there of. Fair is fair.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Hehehe, well... for me... I see nothing wrong if people believe in a faith, that a faith can be many things and of many types. I just choose to have faith in me, my family and friends.

Organized religion seems to help many people find inner strength and peace. For me, I get that just by believing in myself and friends/family. As such, I don't personally need anything else as i have it already.

So, technically, I don't know if I am "athiest" or not. If we're talking a Heaven/Hell thing, then I guess I am atheist. If we're talking about believing in a faith, then I do by believing in myself and my family.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
lol @ mushroom, my thoughts exactly on labels, its just a discription to help clarify, big deal.

if not being an atheist is believing in a power higher than oneself, then im an atheist; there is no power higher than I.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I am an atheist. There are two kinds- One who merely is not convinced there are any gods. You may call this an agnostic atheist, perhaps. This is a weak atheist (me). Then there are strong atheist, who are convinced there is no God/gods.

Both have an absence of belief in a god(s), the other in addition believes in the certain non-existance.

hope that is not confusing.

I consider myself a secular humanist. I do not have any favorite philosophers so far, but I am hoping to read some religious philosophy soon.

I usually don't wear an atheist necklace or anything bc in some situations one's reputation could be harmed by declaring their lack of belief. I remember as a kid if classmates found out I didn't believe in any god, they would say, "So, you're a Satan worshipper?" They couldn't imagine a life without religion. Well it's hard for me to imagine a life with it.

ETA- because there is discrimination, perhaps the more people who come out of the "atheist closet" the better. I'd like all the scary, negative connotations removed from the word.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Funk... honestly... I do not live my life and wonder what will happen after I am dead. To me... once I am dead, that's it. End of my life span. My existence, if worthy, will live on in that of my family's memories... and to me that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am not exactly atheist, I am agnostic, which is basically saying I don't believe in God, but I'm not saying that there couldn't be a slight chance there is a god/s, but for me that is quite a slight chance. I do however support the belief in religion because it does a lot of good for a lot of people, gives people hope, and sets a lot of people back on the right track.

Growing up my family didn't go to church, I was the one that started going to church, and I went with on of my friends, and then my mom started to go to church with me, but after awhile I decided that it just wasn't for me, I was basically there for the games (we had a program called awahnes a couple nights and you plays games, and that is why I started) and that was at a pretty young age. Then as I grew up more and became more knowlegabel I just knew that it wasn't for me, and that just wasn't something that I believed in.

·
Banned
559 Posts
that's what i thought, majake.

i don't worry about life after death either, for the most part. but i would like to think that my life here wasn't for anything. i do believe in heaven but don't know where i really stand on reincarnation. i've had vivid dreams about both. however, the heaven one i can't think aobut without breaking out in tears and that means something.

i'll admit i'm not a fan at all of organized religion. i get my kicks from solo prayer and thought.

and dammit, all dogs do go to heaven.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I strongly believe that there are no deities, because I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary. Do I know for certain? Nope, but I don't worry about it.

After death, I believe that's the end. I don't believe in a soul, so to me, there is nothing there to move on to a higher plane or what have you. To an extent I think the energy that makes me who I am will be converted, and recycled. Energy cannot be created or destroyed line of thinking I suppose. But it won't be me.

Life2k, thank you.

1 - 20 of 440 Posts