VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada's cruel annual seal slaughter is set to begin and the East Coast waters will soon be red with blood. This is the world's largest slaughter of marine mammals and more than 355, 000 seals will be brutally clubbed or shot to death for their fur. 98% of the seals who will be hunted are under 12 weeks old and will have not yet learned to swim or to even eat solid food. Many will be skinned alive while still fully conscious.

This year, join Wild at Heart Canada in speaking out against this shameful and barbaric event at a solemn, candlelight 'funeral' demonstration in Toronto for the many thousands of seals who will lose their lives for greed and vanity during the hunt.

WHEN: Thursday March 15, 2007 (the International Day of Protest against the hunt)

WHERE: the SOUTHWEST corner of Yonge & Dundas in front of the Eaton Centre

TIME: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM

MEET: 6:15 PM

Please dress all in black or in dark colours in keeping with our theme and, if possible, bring a candle along. We will have candles available for those are unable to bring their own. Posters and leaflets are also provided but please feel free to create your own and to get in touch with us with any questions. Spread the word! Tell all your friends and family about the demo so that we can send a clear message to Canada's government that the hunt is shameful to Canada!

Our website is currently experiencing some technical difficulties. If you have subscribed to our mailing list via our site, PLEASE RE-SUBSCRIBE by sending an email to [email protected] with 'subscribe' in the subject.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread for my first post. First, congratulations on what sounds to be a well-organized seal hunt protest. While I live in the US now, I grew up in Toronto, studied RTA at Ryerson, and spent a lot of money at the Eaton Centre while skipping classes many years ago

I'm now working with the International Fund for Animal Welfare to help spread the word about IFAW's anti-sealing campaign at StopTheSealHunt.com. If any of you would like to help increase the visibility of this campaign, I'd like to invite you to visit our MySpace blog (http://blog.myspace.com/endthesealhunt

) to download StopTheSealHunt.com banners for your personal websites and blogs. We'd like to let as many people as possible know about our efforts, and to increase awareness of the brutality of the seal hunt.

While I'm here, I also want to mention IFAW's "House Party Initiative", which is planned help fight commercial whaling. This isn't scheduled until May, but if you're the party-planning type, you may want to jump on board this fun way to raise awareness of another important animal welfare issue. Information about setting up a house party can be found at http://www.party2win.com/ifaw. Maybe you could have a variation on a theme, and host a street party at Yonge and Dundas again!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me - I've opened up my profile here to receive email. To the board mods, thanks for this great place for wonderful and important conversation.

·
Registered
177 Posts
How did the demo go?

I really hope that the shrinking demand in Europe sends a clear message to the Canadian government that the majority of the world doesn't want its blood covered seal pelts.

It makes me sick that this is still going on. Since I'm veg and can't boycott Canadian seafood, I've decided to boycott everything else Canadian.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The demo went really well! Over 60 people showed up which was amazing and the public response was almost entirely in support of us which just goes to show that the majority of Canadians oppose the hunt. We also got coverage on CityTV (a local station) as well as from some student newspapers at the local unis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts