VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm still eating products with meat extracts in and i don't even know it because it doesn't say in the ingredients. why?? do these companies honestly want us our service so much that they will deceive us?

i mean cereal. why do are all these things unsuitable for veg*ns?

Shredded Wheat Fruitful

Honey Nut Shredded Wheat

Shreddies

Frosted Shreddies

Cocoa Shreddies

Golden Nuggets

Cheerios

Honey Nut Cheerios

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think a lot of them are probably unsuitable for vegans, but are ok for vegetarians. Honey and all.

Haven't researched it, though, so I could be wrong. Please don't run out and eat a whole bunch of Golden Nuggets and then get mad at me b/c they're actually made out of pork or something.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
kellog's uses synthetic vitamins, and also synthetic gelatin, so kellos's's cereals seem to be fine. Post and Genreal mills on the other hand, are very shaky on the subject. And, most kellog's cereals have hydrogenated oils anyway, so even tho they are vegan they are not really good to eat.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Shreddies list "Vitamin D" They fail to specify. My guess is that it's vitamin D3 and they don't want vegans to know. (Of course, most vegans will still take the trouble to find out and not buy the product anyway.)

I heard somewhere that coco pops are vegan. Any confirmation? I know that most kellogs cereals are vegan. They use vitamin D2. However, general mills in the UK is done by nestlé. As luck would have it, you can check which products are vegan, if you want confirmation:

http://www.nestle.co.uk/nutrition/fr...from_vegan.doc

The cereals list has three on it. So my guess is that they use vitamin D3. It's labelled simply as "Vitamin D" Shreddies show up on heir vegetarian list, so my guess is that the D3 is from lanolin.

The honey cereals are pretty obvious. They contain honey, so that instantly prevents them from being vegan. But it seems that vitamin D3 is to blame. When it says "Vitamin D" chances are that it's D3 but they won't label it as D3 as this will put vegans off. (So they're not fully telling the truth.)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Wait, is D3 only available from animal sources? I didn't know that.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Vitamin D3 is from animal sources. The vegan alternative is vitamin D2, which is derived from plants. Failing this, exposure to the sunlight will get you some much needed vitamin D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts