VeggieBoards banner

Why we love them! (veg*n children)

7K views 72 replies 23 participants last post by  nookle 
#1 ·
So, I thought that maybe a good idea for a thread in the Veggie children forum could be just a place to express our love for and amazement at our spawn. I know that I am amazed and surprised and impressed by my pea frequently, and thought it would be nice to have a place to just share stories.

Michael - maybe if it's not too presumptuous on my part, this would be a good thread to sticky?

So tell us - how cool is YOUR sprout?

#2 ·
ok, ok, I'll start. My smallest is 3 & 1/2 months right now, and it is the most amazing trip watching her learn things. You can literally see her change daily! I am absolutely enthralled with the rate at which babies have to learn things, and the prowess with which they do so. For example, they have to learn an entire language, all the nuances of conversation, and the intonation and intricacies of expressing emotion, and they do it all in like 3 years? I am continually having my socks blown off.

#3 ·
My oldest (3 yrs old) has always been a real social butterfly and very energetic and physical. She loves people, but also likes to play alone. She's really sweet and loving, but also very independent and strong-willed. As a baby she didn't really like being held or confined. She always wanted to be free and never liked being swaddled.

My youngest is 7 1/2 months. She is so different from the way my first was as a baby. She is very involved with manipulating things with her hands. She loves baby toys. She loves to be held. She loves being with people, but she is pretty clingy with mommy and daddy and not too thrilled with strangers.

Having such different children really helps me to see how different temperaments play a major role in how a parent responds to a child. It's really pretty interesting to see what I've learned on child psych. play out before my eyes.

I just love my girls. I feel so lucky to have them.

#4 ·
This is a wonderful idea!

I have a 6 yo dd and a 3 yo ds.

They both amaze me on a daily basis,

My 6 yo is so artisitic and creative, she loves to draw, paint, we do a lot of crafty things too. She also loves animals, she constantly tells me she is going to be a Vet when she grows up and i can totally see that in her. She has the most vivid imagination too.

My 3 yo is a bundle of energy, he loves his big sister, and loves playing with her, he loves trains and trucks, but he also loves dolls like Barbie! so cool. He amazes me every day with how smart he is, he is almost reading basic words already, he is like a little sponge just absorbing everything in his path.

They are both athletic, love to run, jump, play baseball soccer in the back yard. they both go to gymnastics, my 6 yo is on the team already but in level 1 so she wont compete for a few years ( assuming she sticks with it and continues to love it)........my 3 yo goes with me to a mommy and me tumbling class.

They both also play soccer in our town.......well this will be the first year for my 3 yo, he turns 4 by the cut off.

I feel extremely blessed and lucky to have these amazing little ones in my life, I love them more than I can even express in words.

#5 ·
#9 ·
Today was my 3 year old's dance class. She loves it and is so much fun to watch. She's so energetic and social! Then, we went to eat, and she ordered her own food, and when the waitress asked if everything was fine, she said "Yes, thank you." She's such a sweetie with good manners these days. It seems like ever since she's turned 3, she's been so well behaved!

#11 ·
Elliotsmom.......he is adorable!

last week while i was watching my 6 yo dd's gymnastics class i was chatting with another mom who has a dd in the same class. she also has a ds the same age as my ds. I asked if she brings him to gymnastics too. i told her the class my ds does is a lot of fun.

she said her husband doesnt want him to do gymnastics...and the way she said it was implied that it wasnt a "boy" thing to do!!!!!!!! geez

i always say whatever activity they want to do is fine with me, i dont go for that "boy" stuff and "girl" stuff! if my ds wants to dance or do gymnastics he can ......LOL

#12 ·
So I know that it's very parent-y thing to do, but I couldn't resist. She has just started rolling over, but I think she's doing it ass-backwards, as she rolls from her back to her tummy (as shown in the photo) but can't roll back. So when her little neck gets tired from holding up her heavy head, her face gets shoved in the floor, and she can do nothing but cry! Poor little. But wow- do I ever love her. I never would've believed that the simple act of rolling over could be so incredible! Welcome to parenthood, I guess.

Here she is!

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

So I know that it's very parent-y thing to do, but I couldn't resist. She has just started rolling over, but I think she's doing it ass-backwards, as she rolls from her back to her tummy (as shown in the photo) but can't roll back. So when her little neck gets tired from holding up her heavy head, her face gets shoved in the floor, and she can do nothing but cry! Poor little. But wow- do I ever love her. I never would've believed that the simple act of rolling over could be so incredible! Welcome to parenthood, I guess.

Here she is!
Aw, she's precious! My baby didn't roll over until she was 6 months old, and it was just like yours, from back to tummy. She still has trouble rolling the other way, and doesn't do it very often. She usually just cries until I pick her up.

#15 ·
She's 7 1/2 months old. Now that I think of it, I can't even remember if I've ever seen her roll from her belly to her back. And yes, I do get nervous about it when she's sleeping. She's very good at keeping her head up, and pushing up her chest when she's awake. However, last night, for example, she was sleeping on her tummy, and had her face down in the mattress. She seemed to be breathing ok, but I turned her head anyway. I'm hoping she starts to flip the other way soon. I don't know why she's so late with these things! She's fine with everything else, but not this rolling business.

#18 ·
I like to have her in the crib - I sleep better, but I'm a little too worried about this now, so I usually bring her into the bed with me. I sometimes put her in her crib and tuck a light folded blanket under her left side - she only rolls onto her belly from one side - and that seems to work.

#19 ·
Quote:

ok, ok, I'll start. My smallest is 3 & 1/2 months right now, and it is the most amazing trip watching her learn things. You can literally see her change daily! I am absolutely enthralled with the rate at which babies have to learn things, and the prowess with which they do so. For example, they have to learn an entire language, all the nuances of conversation, and the intonation and intricacies of expressing emotion, and they do it all in like 3 years? I am continually having my socks blown off.
I still find it fascinating to be able to hold an entire (kid-sized) conversation with a kid in sign language. Even though I was one of them when I was little. I love seeing little signers, hearing or deaf.

#21 ·
How cool is the signing thing? I have a couple of books that were given me, and I've been trying to do a couple of little ones - sofia is still a bit too little - I'm doing it now more to get ME used to them. But I really like the idea that they are cognitively capable of communication/language before they're physically capable! I love it, and will let you all know how/if it works.

#22 ·
My baby sleeps in her crib at first. She usually ends up on her tummy. But, she still wakes a lot and wants to nurse, so she usually ends up in my bed in the middle of the night.

My 3 yr old used to sign a little bit as a baby. She basically just knew the sign for "more", haha. When she was a little older, she came up with the sign for banana...but I'm not sure where she learned that. Maybe Sesame Street (oops!)

#23 ·
Quote:

How cool is the signing thing? I have a couple of books that were given me, and I've been trying to do a couple of little ones - sofia is still a bit too little - I'm doing it now more to get ME used to them. But I really like the idea that they are cognitively capable of communication/language before they're physically capable! I love it, and will let you all know how/if it works.
One of my friends impressed me by teaching her daughter some signs. I mean the only kids I know who sign are those who are deaf or come from deaf families. My friend & her daughter are neither of those. So when we were at a restaurant, she told her daughter to say "more drink" or something like that and she did it. I thought it was so cool because they have no "reason" to learn it or teach it to her. We were talking about halloween at the time (this was before halloween) and she said they'd gone and gotten pumpkins, so I taught her daughter the sign for "pumpkin." I thought it was so cute. It's a two handed sign, and instead of doing it on her own hand, she did it on my hand, trying to imitate me. So cute.

We have to remind my niece (almost 4, hearing) "use your hands" when she talks to her dad (my brother, who's deaf.) Anytime I talk to her, I usually sim-com (simultaneous communication) & sign the main words in whatever I'm saying so she picks them up.

#24 ·
Yeah, the siging thing seems to be pretty popular these days. I think it's great. I had always planned on teaching my kids sign language, because both my elementary and high schools had programs for deaf students. So, growing up I had sign language classes in school, and for all of our school plays and assemblies (in elementary school) we signed everything along with singing or speaking. Anyway, I haven't been too consistent about it, but I do thinkgs like sign the alphabet with my 3 yr old and stuff. I used to work in daycare, and I noticed a lot of babies using sign language. I think it's pretty common these days, at least around here.

#26 ·
I guess I'm coming from the point of view of someone who doesn't know a lot of deaf people anymore. Sorry if I sounded insensitive! It seems to be very common with babies, but then no one keeps it up, which is sad. I often wish I had kept it up. Now, I can basically only sign song lyrics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.