VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why vegan don't eat refined sugar. Because refined sugar is made from vegetables.

would anyone tell me the truth.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Good reason: during the refinement charcoal made of bones (mostly cattle) is used.

Another reason: it´s not healthy.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Different countries use different methods. Australian sugar does not use bone char. But apparently most US sugar is refine on bone char. It's a personal choice for most people though.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
It can even be different between factory's from one and the same brand.

Americans mostly have bleached (white)cane sugar.

Australians mostly have beet-sugar, which is bleached in another way.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Only cane sugar has to be refined. Beet sugar and unrefined cane sugar is vegan. Cane sugar may or may not be refined with the use of bone.

I (vegan) consider even refined cane sugar vegan, but I never use sugar to begin with

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Eh? Beet sugar? I don't think so... we have masses of sugar cane over here... especially up in my neck o' the woods...

I'm curious 1vegan, where did you get the idea that Australia has mostly beet sugar? All of my sugars (brown, dark brown, raw caster, raw, white, demarara etc) are cane sugar. It's a huge industry here. I have never even seen beet sugar. We just use a different refining process, cheeno told me ages ago but I can't remember what they use but it's vegan.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never seen "refined sugar" on an ingredients statement. Does that mean that no bones were used, or does it mean that bones may or may not have been used? Does this mean I shouldn't buy anything with sugar in it?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
There is a brand called Florida crystals that does not use bone char. You can find it at most HFS. Here's a link to the site.

http://www.floridacrystals.com/ingredients/index.asp

If it's white, it's been refined. Use of the word "sugar" usually means refined sugar has been added to the product. It's personal choice on what you want to avoid. You can also use, turbinado sugar, succanat and beet sugar cup for cup in baking.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jack Frost sugar doesn't use bone char, but Domino does. I use Jack Frost because it's inexpensive and easy to find in the store. I'm a sugar addict.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I tend to not worry about sugar included as an ingredient. Though, when confronted with two otherwise similar choices, I will always purchase the item that contains a superior form of sweetener, from organic evaporated cane juice to organic brown rice syrup, etc. When it comes to buying sugar for my coffee, recipes, and so forth, however, I only buy one of two options: Either Sucanat, or Trader Joe's organic Sugar (there's more to it than that, and there's another new brand I have now, but I forget what it's called and I'm not at home right now)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm from Canada and I must admit that I've never looked into whether my sugar is filtered through bone char. Can anyone recommend some brands (preferably that aren't too expensive) that are available in Canada?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I quit eating refined sugar, if I can help it. I know ketchup has sugar, and some breads, but for the most part I'm sugar-free.

It's incredibly addictive. If you've never tried to quit, you should try it once and see how hard it is. I tried and failed 5 or 6 times before I was able to give it up.

It ages you. It changes your brain synapses. It makes you fat. And it's a general waste of money cause it does nothing good for you.

Molasses, on the other hand, is what's extracted from sugar cane. Molasses is really good for you. It's got iron, B1, B2, B6, Viamin E, Vitamin K, Calcium, and a bunch of other stuff that's good for you that I've never heard of. Good for digestion, too.

My 2¢.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did you quit? I've tried for years and years. It starts with 2 spoons in my coffee in the morning and goes downhill from there. I just can't seem to stop. It's worse than quiting smoking after 20 years I swear.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Dude, quitting sugar IS harder than quitting smoking.

I work with a guy who smoked 2 and a half packs a day and quit. He said that was hard, but he recently tried to quit sugar and he said it was harder, and it only lasted 3 weeks for him. He's back on 4 chocolate chip cookies a day.

I started by quitting white foods--white flour, white rice, white bread--and fattening desserts. (I was a BIG fan of rice pudding and cake!) For some reason, that made it easier. Something about white flour and the way it converts to sugar...

Then, after a while, decided to try and quit my junk food fix in the afternoon (one king size candy bar a day). It was hard, but I had a ton of dried fruits on hand to get me through that 3pm slump. I also went with putting Equal in my coffee just to get me over the hump, but quickly gave that up after I felt I was Home Free. I've been eating a ton more fruits, because I like sweet things, but fruit is so much better for you...

If you can go for 2 weeks without it, you're good to go. It's just getting the habits and cravings out of your system that's the hardest--and believe me, if you can get off it, you'll feel great--no more metabolizm crashes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What? I have a metabolism??
Yeah, I quit smoking in November of 2002 after smoking for 21+ years. I get a buzz from sugar and I'm like a damn junkie if I don't get it. Crazy.

Seriously, I bet I would feel better if I gave it up. Let's see, I'll give it up starting this weekend. Heck, I may even start a thread for support. Or, maybe there is one already. I'll have to check.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I consume more "added" sugar in one mug of coffee than I probably do the rest of my day. :\\

I've gotten my habit down to two or three times a week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts