VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/why-sta...suGP-ELz5C8#_=

That's a BOLD statement

While I do feel like he brings up some good points I also feel like he misses the most important point when it comes to what makes a film great/memorable.

The OT is just more FUN. You can watch those films over and over and enjoy it every time.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/why-sta...suGP-ELz5C8#_=

That's a BOLD statement

While I do feel like he brings up some good points I also feel like he misses the most important point when it comes to what makes a film great/memorable.

The OT is just more FUN. You can watch those films over and over and enjoy it every time.
Yup. I think the author is way too concerned with the films having a political message he likes as opposed to things like making the audience care about the characters and having a compelling story line. The prequels try to be more political, but let's face it, they're hardly The Wire. The politics in the films manage to be dry, unrealistic, cartoonish and confusing all at the same IMO.

In counterpoint, this video series is a must watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
You're right. The originals were more memorable. The dialog was meaningful, conversations were shot close up and tight, almost black and white era style, so that the expressions on the characters' faces were just as important as the words being said. Who doesn't have the exchange between Leia and Han while they were repairing the Falcon burned into his/her brain? The look on Luke's face when he learned that Vader was his father? The look on Leia's when she found out? IV-VI were the true hero myth story: an ambitious boy finding a group of unlikely friends who then went on adventures together. The funny parts were funny because you could relate to the situations. The sad parts were sad because you could empathize with the pain.

Jarjar Binks walking and talking in a silly way might make smaller children laugh, but it's a different kind of humor. The prequel movies came out in a moviemaking time where killing humanoids was considered far too gratuitous and violent, especially with a younger target audience, than it was in the originals, so they miserably tried to fill the void by destroying a ****load of droids. Over and over again. I'm not saying that killing people makes a good movie, but people dying in a hero movie triggers powerful emotions in the viewer. Killing robots makes it more like a video game.

Something that

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I deliberately boycotted the 3 prequels. I still haven't seen them. The OT was a good light show that showcased some new techniques, but that's about all. The original Star Wars (A New Hope) came out at a time when the last thing we needed was a film that says war is fun and only the enemy dies. The only thing it ever did was inspire a president to name a proposed new weapons system after it. The sooner these films are forgotten, the better.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I deliberately boycotted the 3 prequels. I still haven't seen them. The OT was a good light show that showcased some new techniques, but that's about all. The original Star Wars (A New Hope) came out at a time when the last thing we needed was a film that says war is fun and only the enemy dies. The only thing it ever did was inspire a president to name a proposed new weapons system after it. The sooner these films are forgotten, the better.
You understand that you're going straight to hell now, don't you?

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Oh, and I think Poppa Bush's extending Bobby MCFerrin's popularity by using "Don''t Worry, Be Happy" as his campaign song was a far greater crime.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

You understand that you're going straight to hell now, don't you?
Yes, but I understand it's much better there than in most movie houses these days.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The prequels weren't bad. If I weren't forced to compare them to the originals by default, I might even call them good. But they were made for the general audience because that's where the money is (a fact made obvious by the previously mentioned Jarjar). The original trilogy was something entirely different. The prequels might be good, but they're not classics. They're just few more better than average high budget blockbusters in a sea of thousands just like them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Admittedly, I lost interest in reading that article pretty quickly and then just skimmed, but it sounds like he is defending the story lines and not the actual film execution. The films were crap IMO and that has nothing to do with the political message.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only thing that makes the the prequel trilogy watchable is Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine). It certainly wasn't Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I had a heart attack when i read the title. Fortunately the Force is with me.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Quote:

I remember being surprised by a review of the original film that said there was "only the merest dollop of bloodshed" in it... If I recall correctly, several people die within the first 5 minutes, one rebel defender being brutally killed by Vader's hands after the rebel ship is siezed. Midway through the film, an entire inhabited-but-unarmed planet (Alderaan) gets blasted to hell by that infernal Death Star battlestation. And of course quite a few defenders die in the final battle. A lot of bad guys get it too... although it's a lot harder for me to empathize with them...

Science Fiction tends to be a bit too violent for my tastes, although since it's fantasy and not reality, quite often the news bothers me more.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:

I don't see it (New Hope) as a shoot-em-up movie where war is fun. However Hollywoodish it was, it was a story about overcoming oppression with some side stories about abandoning selfishness (Han) and the value of friendships. Definitely formulaic, but a pretty good job. Not fair saying all it did was inspire Reagan to name a failed weapons program.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

I don't see it (New Hope) as a shoot-em-up movie where war is fun. However Hollywoodish it was, it was a story about overcoming oppression with some side stories about abandoning selfishness (Han) and the value of friendships. Definitely formulaic, but a pretty good job. Not fair saying all it did was inspire Reagan to name a failed weapons program.
I agree, A New Hope was very much a fantasy/adventure movie but it didn't really make war look fun. If anything it showcased the horrors of war and violence, it was a space opera filled with tragedy. I know seeing Luke's aunt and uncle burned to a crisp had a big effect on me when I was a kid, and the destruction of Alderaan... I don't think many people watched that and concluded that war was a good thing.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
The newer movies did not have any incredible climax scenes, like the first movie did (Skywalker vs. Vader lightsaber fight, which was cinematic gold). Also, the newer movies had too much CGI. In terms of special effects, they look like every other movie out there today. What made the OT special was their special effects were cutting-edge and a new trendsetter. Lastly, JarJar Binks got on everyone's nerve and threw in some "Dumb & Dumber" junk into a series that wants to be remembered as a classic. Stupid move.

I don't dislike the newer movies, but I have only seen them once each and they were not memorable enough to remember all the details.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
People who adores the OT are wearing their nostalgia glasses.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The only thing that I think the prequels did better than the originals, Palpatine had an actual plan to turn Anakin. In the originals he seemed to just sort of think that as long as he could get Luke angry enough, Luke would end up wanting to join him.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts

I could hardly even watch the prequels, I don't even think I managed to sit through the first one. It was years ago, but I don't remember what happened, I just remember loads of rocks, rubbish acting and boring CGI.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts