VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
FWIW, here is the statement from Stonyfield farms:

About our soy yogurt:
Quote:
Since July 2008, the messages printed on our OSoy cups have included the following allergen statement: CONTAINS SOY AND MILK (OUR LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES ARE MILK BASED). Wed like to explain what this means. While we dont add any milk to OSoy, the reason for the CONTAINSMILK statement is that the cultures we use in OSoy are grown in milk by our culture supplier. The overall milk content of OSoy is extremely low, and its in the form of milk protein. For people highly allergic to dairy, we dont recommend OSoy.
It sounds like the statement is largely for allergen purposes, and that the actual amount of milk might be really insignificant. Perhaps if soy yogurt became a bigger part of their business, they might switch to dairy free cultures. I had stopped buying this brand, but now I'm on the fence.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

It's still not vegan since they are using milk for one of their ingredients which makes it animal-derived.
Yeah, I wouldn't slap a vegan label on it. But, I'm talking about whether or not I would eat it. I'm not so worried about labels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts