VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
by Kathy Guillermo

Like every mother‚ I want to raise children to be strong‚ confident‚ and compassionate. I want my kids to understand that the choices that we make may affect others in profound ways and that we must be especially careful not to harm-or support others who harm-those who are defenseless. Just as we would never hit or yell at our dog‚ Jenny‚ we would never support cruelty by going to the circus.
Read on at http://www.peta.org/feat-circusmom.asp. Feel free to sign the petition online to show your support for human-only circuses and opposition to the "traditional" circuses.

Also, please check out these links:

'Having a 'heart to heart' with your kids'

'How I worked to replace circus field trips'

'Steps to take when the circus comes to town'

Let's teach our children to admire all animals and their beauty.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Fromper, is a human-only circus more like a gymnastics show, then?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
There's a lot more than just gymnastics in human only circuses. We had juggling, clowns, tight wire walking, slack wire walking, trapeze, some gymnastics/tumbling type stuff, and a few acts that would be hard to describe if you've never seen them. And that was an amateur circus.

Isn't Cirque du Soleil human-only? I know all the acts I've seen have been, but I also know that I haven't seen most of their shows.

--Fromper

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I was about twelve years old a circus came through the tiny town i lived in (about 600 people), I had not known what happened at the circus at the time and at first wanted to go. One day I was walking by where they had it set up and there was this elephant who was tied up with a chain that couldnt have been more than two feet long. Probably shorter, since that moment I have never again wanted to go to a circus, and I will never take a child to one. I will never forget that poor elephants eyes.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybaby7 View Post

When I was about twelve years old a circus came through the tiny town i lived in (about 600 people), I had not known what happened at the circus at the time and at first wanted to go. One day I was walking by where they had it set up and there was this elephant who was tied up with a chain that couldnt have been more than two feet long. Probably shorter, since that moment I have never again wanted to go to a circus, and I will never take a child to one. I will never forget that poor elephants eyes.
Again, remember that there are human-only circuses. Boycotting businesses that abuse animals is great, but you should also show your support for the businesses that don't. When consumers vote with their dollars, businesses are forced to listen.

--Fromper

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
My niece is 3. Over the holidays we were doing something in my mom's living room and the tv was on. A commercial for the shrine circus came on and she said "What's that?" I said "The circus." She said "I want to see it." I said "No you don't. It's mean." She said "Oh." The end.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same reason I wont go to the zoo. It breaks my heart to see the animals behind bars like a prison instead of being out in the wild as they should be...Human circuses..what a cool thing!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I remember going to the circus with my Girl Scout troop around 2nd grade, there were AR activists outside boycotting the circus, I asked my mom what they were doing and she wouldn't tell me. I hate how she tried to hide it from me, she knows if I had known about the cruelty involved I wouldn't have gone to the show. I will never, ever take my children to a circus with animals in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I used to support a human-only circus. I juggled in it and walked slack wire.

--Fromper

Fromper, you juggle? That's so cool, I always figured you just liked the smiley

·
Registered
454 Posts
Oy, it is so great to be able to post among like minded people!!!!!!! Several months ago I got into this huge debate with another board about this. They kept saying the animals aren't abused anymore and all that and they want their kids to experience the joys of childhood, blah, blah, blah
Even if these animals were treated as well as possible, it always abuse to hold animals God intended to be wild in captivity. This is NOT what God had in mind for these animals otherwise he would have designed them entirely differently! Our Children will NEVER EVER go o a circus with animals in it and it does my heart so much good to hear from others who care too! Our children will not suffer from missing out on the circus experience, but those animals certainly do suffer from having to be in the circus.

Wild animals should be just that WILD AND FREE!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliex1122 View Post

Fromper, you juggle? That's so cool, I always figured you just liked the smiley
Heh. I really am a juggler. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to be in a circus. The Florida State University Flying High Circus has no animals.
We just abuse freshmen instead.

Nowadays, I perform as a jester in Renaissance Faires. Most of them are animal-free, but some of the bigger ones have jousting on horseback. As Emily Anne mentioned, that's still slavery. But they're treated very well, and I know they live out their natural lives with people who truly care about them, so I'm not quite an avid enough Animal Rights activist to complain or boycott. Besides, the one faire down here that always has them also has a greyhound adoption group there every day, working to find good homes for retired racing dogs (ye Royal Houndes
).

--Fromper

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Isn't Cirque du Soleil human-only? I know all the acts I've seen have been, but I also know that I haven't seen most of their shows.

--Fromper

Cirque du Soleil is human-only and it's super, super cool. I saw it when they came to Calgary last summer. They have some extremely talented artists. Just proof that you don't need bears dancing on balls and lion-tamers to enjoy the circus!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts