VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys:

I am new to VeggieBoards and wondering why you have decided to practice veganism. What is your motivation, or what are your motivations?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Any animal that can choose to live in secure, climate controlled homes, use transportation to carry them almost anywhere, and @#^& up every inch of land, water and air that they can, do not need to use other animals for anything!
The idea of artifically creating breeds so mutant they can't survive on their own, raping them so they reproduce, confining them so they can't do anything instintual, then sending them off to be brutally slaughtered. Not my idea of the "circle of life"
Animal testing is useless, and only for keeping companies out of legal battles.

I've also never felt better since turning vegan!
I love to cook-it's now easier, and more creative (that took a while!)
Most health issues can be changed by healthy vegan diets.

Welcome to veggieboards!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I don't need to use animal products to survive.

As a result, using animal products is a choice.

So I choose not to support the harm, exploitation, torture, death, etc. of animals.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Because I know better and I'm not a totally selfish *******.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It is unnecessary to my survival to consume animal products, so I choose not to participate in their suffering, exploitation, and death.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I guess for me, it started when I learned more about what my dietary choices were contributing to as a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Dairy cows are impregnated over and over and have their calves taken away (to become veal) so humans can drink the milk intended for their babies. They also are killed well before the end of their natural lives and used for meat (generally ground beef from what I understand.) Egg laying hens are usually confined to a very tiny space for their entire lives and eventually are sent to slaughter as well. Also, the egg industry results in the death of millions of baby male chicks every year; they are killed because they are useless to the industry (i.e. they can't become future layers.)

The more I learned about how animals in non-food industries are treated, the more I wanted to avoid contributing to those as well. Sheep used for wool are sheared roughly and subjected to a painful procedure called mulesing. Animals used for cosmetics testing suffer in various ways too, etc. It just seemed to go on and on, and the more I learned, the more I felt that the simple choice to avoid ALL animal products was the best way for me to live consistently with my morals. It took me a long time to come around to this point, but I feel amazing knowing that I am doing all I can not to contribute to any animals being killed or harmed in any way.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
plenty of reasons to do it for your health. animal products, despite the propoganda campaigns of the meat and dairy and egg industries, are just not good for you. after you stop eating them for awhile, they become *nasty* and utterly disgusting. when i say they aren't good for you, i mean that they are terrible for your health. the average person in north america eats 6 to 10 times more protein than they need. yet the average person says "without meat, i won't have enough protien!"

heart disease is the leading cause of death in america. i work in medicine, and i've seen so many heart attacks and surgeries and vascular disease and strokes that i've become a firm believer that the human animal isn't designed for a long life eating animal products. even fat free dairy and egg products exacerbate allergy and autoimmune disorders. it's really about living with the best health you can have.

a well planned vegan diet is the best for health. you'll feel a lot better. food becomes a lot more interesting.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

So sad...
It is sad, but every person that sees that video or other ones like it will have a compelling reason to eat fewer animals. I practice veganism because I wouldn't treat a cow, chicken, pig, sheep or turkey and differently from a cat, dog, hamster or human and I wouldn't pay anyone else to either.

·
Registered
586 Posts
everything listed here. i know better. i thrive without it. i do not want to or need to use animals in any way. they are not here for me, they are here for themselves. and plants support all life on this planet in one way or another. what could be better than plants to support my life? nothing.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

It is sad, but every person that sees that video or other ones like it will have a compelling reason to eat fewer animals. I practice veganism because I wouldn't treat a cow, chicken, pig, sheep or turkey and differently from a cat, dog, hamster or human and I wouldn't pay anyone else to either.
I agree. I just hate watching it. But I show it to so many people. Now if only they'd make the connection...

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I agree. I just hate watching it. But I show it to so many people. Now if only they'd make the connection...
Most people already believe hurting animals is wrong. Society has simply "taught them better" than to live fully by their ethics. We can be the ones to hold a mirror up so that they may peer back into their own souls and make compassionate choices. Such choices define us as humans, and by proxy as vegans.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Most people already believe hurting animals is wrong. Society has simply "taught them better" than to live fully by their ethics. We can be the ones to hold a mirror up so that they may peer back into their own souls and make compassionate choices. Such choices define us as humans, and by proxy as vegans.
I like to think that we are stand-ins for the animals that people consume.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I was raised veggie and grew up thinking that I was living a kind life. I started to get the idea that that wasn't true, and started using soya margarine and soya milk, but still ate cheese, and eggs when they were in cakes. I hadn't really looked into veganism at that point, it was more of a niggling feeling. When I found out that eggs and dairy cause as much, if not more, suffering than meat, (after watching the video meat your meat and reading some articles about veganism) I just gave them up. Then I learned about the harm honey and wool can cause and I gave them up too (not that I was really using/ wearing them much before). I've just had my veganniversary and can't ever imagine being any other way... It's part of me now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't practice veganism, I live it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Good for the animals, for the planet and for me. Great food. A clean conscience.

What's not to love?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts