VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back-Space and I were talking about it, but I want some other opinions. You should see me in school. I'm not bullied in school, but people think It's weird for sure. Why do you think the compassionate ones get all the hate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
A lot of people see progressive social deviation as a silent criticism of their own vices or outdated ideals. It can make people feel guilty or otherwise scrutinized to see someone who doesn't share their own habits. That's not the only reason I'm sure but it's a big part of it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,160 Posts
PETA
We bring out their buried guilt
Some of us are asshats and that gets attributed to us being vegan rather than us being asshats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Cause the green scare was pretty effective. Plus what others said, especially PETA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

What Josh James said+PETA.
What Josh Jame wrote + PETA + Vegsource + VegNews +some Vegans dressing differently + some Vegans being vocal, angry, condescending, preachy,rude + some vegans strongly talking about things when they don't know what they are talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,067 Posts
They hired the rep from the wrong agency. When the ad for the agency said "We will always defend our clients, except when we don't feel like it", vegans should have sought some other spokesperson.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
because some clown named sevenseas has smeared our reputation across the internet. every point i've scored for vegans with feminists, this jerk has undone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Another reason I can think of is that people simply haven't been exposed to a really strong reason for veganism or they don't know anyone who's vegan or who's both vegan and an effective voice for veganism/the animals.

People seem to think veganism is just this strict, weird thing some people do without really understanding the underlying ethics behind it.

I've found through participating in outreach programs that the majority of people are receptive or even sympathetic to anti factory farm literature and arguments. The snarky comments are a minority, especially on college campuses, and they're easily ignored or countered. If more people actually see where we're coming from, I'm sure veganism will become much more accepted and understood in society. But it doesn't spread itself. That's why I advocate for it and would encourage others to do the same when practical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

because some clown named sevenseas has smeared our reputation across the internet. every point i've scored for vegans with feminists, this jerk has undone.
I object to your characterization.

THE clown, not "some clown".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,423 Posts
wow, I didn't know how to take some of those comments....glad it's cool though.

I know one vegan person locally who is just militant about being vegan and he will talk your ears off and scrutinize every single aspect of a person's life....may not be the most pleasant person to be around actually, so I do think how people discuss veganism, and what the general publics experience with vegans is, plays a huge part on how the next vegan person may be treated... (if any of that just made sense).

I think PETAs reputation has been tarnished by it's extremism, vs I'd much rather watch or go to Mercy for Animals website....just a different approach, but both are needed.

I also think, that the public just can't understand the why's behind choosing not to eat meat or dairy or eggs, when it's been inherently a life long way of eating, all of our lives. Then start discussing the AR aspect of it, and I do believe the guilt factor plays a part that many never want to address, because we'd have to look at the incivility of ourselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I also think, that the public just can't understand the why's behind choosing not to eat meat or dairy or eggs, when it's been inherently a life long way of eating, all of our lives. Then start discussing the AR aspect of it, and I do believe the guilt factor plays a part that many never want to address, because we'd have to look at the incivility of ourselves.
What Photojess wrote- but especially this. At this point in time, a concern for animals strong enough to make one change their lifestyle significantly in order to stop one's own negative impacts on animals is seen as pretty extreme.

Although the more abrasive vegan animal advocates probably do put people off, in a way their abrasiveness is easy to understand if you consider that it probably is born of frustration over the status-quo. As in: "Hens are cooped up in hell-holes for their short, misrable lives so you can have that omelet- and people don't know or don't even care about that!!!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

What Photojess wrote- but especially this. At this point in time, a concern for animals strong enough to make one change their lifestyle significantly in order to stop one's own negative impacts on animals is seen as pretty extreme.

Although the more abrasive vegan animal advocates probably do put people off, in a way their abrasiveness is easy to understand if you consider that it probably is born of frustration over the status-quo. As in: "Hens are cooped up in hell-holes for their short, misrable lives so you can have that omelet- and people don't know or don't even care about that!!!"
That's why I like Vegan Outreach's approach and literature. We have a booklet called "Even If You Like Meat" with the subtitle "you can help end this cruelty by halving your meat consumption."

A man told me yesterday while I was leafleting the images disturbed him but he couldn't see himself as a vegetarian. I told him that by not eating meat two or three days a week he'd be taking some of the profits away from factory farms. Some people consider that a weak way to advocate for animals, but if he actually took the message to heart (I'll assume he did since he took a cookbook) that his actions will actually spare animals, even though he's not ready to go vegetarian yet. And there's good reason to believe based on feedback and an understanding of human psychology that if a person makes a small change today like meat free mondays, that often makes them more susceptible to making larger changes later.

Would I prefer people go directly to vegan? Yes. But we have to accept small victories and not scoff at them. I'm doing this to tangibly reduce suffering in the world. I'll take the low hanging fruit whenever I can when it comes to advocating for animals, because having a small victory is better than none at all. I can't stress enough that people do care about animals. People are fundamentally good and don't wish to do harm in the world. None of us who became vegan as teens or adults did so because we suddenly shifted to a whole new set of morals and values. We did so because some video, some piece of literature or some conversation with another human being made us realize that we haven't been living by those values we already had. Once we realized the conflict between our ethics and actions we made a change. I believe that if we can put across this message in a positive and effective way, we can see that change multiply many times over in society. That's why I support the adopt a college program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
- some people don't understand the ethical reasons behind veganism (especially why we don't eat eggs, dairy, or honey)

- some people think we are pushy

- deep down, I think some people have a nagging feeling that something is not quite right with eating animals and/or animal products, but many of them don't really want to explore the issue for fear it might mean changing their lifestyle. We remind them of this deep-seated nagging feeling, and therefore they feel hostile towards us.

- while I appreciate PETA, I think unfortunately they have become a target for omnivores, vegetarians and vegans alike -- for going too far, not going far enough, or using the wrong tactics, depending on whom you talk to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

People seem to think veganism is just this strict, weird thing some people do without really understanding the underlying ethics behind it.
+1

People tend to think that all vegetarians are people who just like animals and don't like that they're killed. They never see beneath that, they just think that, hey, some animals are killed for meat and some people don't like it. They don't think about the actual cruelty of factory farms, they simply see the "animals getting killed" part of it, and assume that everyone is a crazy green softie who doesn't get it, when in reality they're the one who doesn't have the whole story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

None of us who became vegan as teens or adults did so because we suddenly shifted to a whole new set of morals and values. We did so because some video, some piece of literature or some conversation with another human being made us realize that we haven't been living by those values we already had. Once we realized the conflict between our ethics and actions we made a change.
Very well said.

--Fromper
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

We did so because some video, some piece of literature or some conversation with another human being made us realize that we haven't been living by those values we already had.
In my case, it was a conversation with a small sheep.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

None of us who became vegan as teens or adults did so because we suddenly shifted to a whole new set of morals and values. We did so because some video, some piece of literature or some conversation with another human being made us realize that we haven't been living by those values we already had.
Didn't hear squat from anyone or see or read anything at that time. Always thought Animals being killed was bad and then eating too many burgers on a road trip in 1983 made me give up meat gradually during the next 4-6 months.
Didn't even know how Animals were really killed. I thought a "cattle prod" was an electric stick that zapped an Animal dead in a split second. I thought that was even way too cruel and unacceptable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

PETA
Some of us are asshats and that gets attributed to us being vegan rather than us being asshats
completely agree!! I've seen a few people on vegan sites and thought 'what a totally *******!' if knew people pre vegan day like that i'd think the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Vegans don't have a bad reputation. Sure, some people act like morons when they know a vegan is present but it's not because of some weakness in veganism deserving of ridicule. It's a kneejerk reaction by non vegans in an attempt to justify their choices, alleviate their guilt, and elevate their self esteem. It's a compliment really.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top