VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just doesn't make sense... if vegans and vegetarians really don't like cruelty to animals, abuse, death, etc etc why constantly talk about it? (Unless you are a full-blown activist, which I'm sure most people aren't.) Shouldn't it make more sense to not talk about it once you are a vegan or vegetarian?

It strikes me at times to be nothing more than an egotistical thing.... especially when people say they're "doing it for the animals". Be honest - you're doing it for yourself.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post

It just doesn't make sense... if vegans and vegetarians really don't like cruelty to animals, abuse, death, etc etc why constantly talk about it? (Unless you are a full-blown activist, which I'm sure most people aren't.) Shouldn't it make more sense to not talk about it once you are a vegan or vegetarian?

It strikes me at times to be nothing more than an egotistical thing.... especially when people say they're "doing it for the animals". Be honest - you're doing it for yourself.
I don't constantly talk about it, except to participate on VB. I come here to be reminded of why I'm doing it. And believe me, I'm vegan for the animals, not for myself. There would be zero reason for me to do it for myself. I have grown into this lifestyle, and I do enjoy it to a certain extent, but if I did not care about animals, it would be 972563407856 times more convenient for me to be lacto-ovo vegetarian, or hell, even omni.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm doing it for both, for myself and animals.

1. For me; because do not need animal products. Because I can not live with the guilt of consuming their products. . It's wrong.

2. The Animals; because they deserve to be treated with respect. To live in peace, without fear, without torture.

I only talk about animal abuse if someone asks me, quite frankly I have happier things to talk about.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Not talking about it won't make it stop happening.
true but always talking about it doesn't stop it from happening either. True people need to be educated but if people push it then people could simply stop listening sadly.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:

Because it's important to us. Hiding away and not talking about things because they are ugly and awful doesn't do a damn thing.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I don't constantly talk about it, except to participate on VB. I come here to be reminded of why I'm doing it. And believe me, I'm vegan for the animals, not for myself. There would be zero reason for me to do it for myself. I have grown into this lifestyle, and I do enjoy it to a certain extent, but if I did not care about animals, it would be 972563407856 times more convenient for me to be lacto-ovo vegetarian, or hell, even omni.
i love what you wrote here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Because it's important to us. Hiding away and not talking about things because they are ugly and awful doesn't do a damn thing.
The desire to be fair to all living creatures is one of the reasons I stopped eating animals, however reminding myself of what other people do is not something I find enjoyable... for the same reason I'm not interested in murder or torture of humans... or plants for that matter...

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

i love what you wrote here.
Ditto.

Personally when I talk about animal abuse issues it's because I want to educate people about it, I'm not just blowing hot air.

For instance if someone asks what the problem with wool is of course I'm going to explain the cruelty issues involved and what mulesing is etc. I don't think that's morbid or weird, it's informative and might get that person to reconsider that wool sweater at the store.

Or for instance I recently posted a story about how the executive of Go Daddy enjoys killing exotic/endangered animals in a few places, and by spreading that information I got dozens of people to either stop using them or decide they never wanted to.

Besides, what's illogical about people wanting to talk about issues that they care about? That seems perfectly normal to me, it would seem weirder if people only talked about things they weren't passionate about honestly...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:

The desire to be fair to all living creatures is one of the reasons I stopped eating animals, however reminding myself of what other people do is not something I find enjoyable... for the same reason I'm not interested in murder or torture of humans... or plants for that matter...
I don't find it enjoyable either. But I find it important.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote:

We talk about animal abuse because it's happening everyday and a lot of people don't care! We talk about it because the government has extremely lax laws in prosecuting people who abuse animals. We talk about it because sometimes people need to be reminded of how animals are treated.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I feel sad when I read some of the threads people make about the cruel things that are happening. But I am also grateful people are bringing these things to light. If people never talked about cruelty or abuse it gets swept under the rug and it is enabled.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Ditto.

Personally when I talk about animal abuse issues it's because I want to educate people about it, I'm not just blowing hot air.

For instance if someone asks what the problem with wool is of course I'm going to explain the cruelty issues involved and what mulesing is etc:
I don't wear wool but what is mulesing? I feel stupid!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post

I don't wear wool but what is mulesing? I feel stupid!!!!
Don't feel stupid! MOST people have no idea what goes on with wool production. The cruelty in other industries is coming to light more and more but there's still a lot of whitewashing when it comes to where wool comes from... There's a lot of good info here: http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/wool.htm

Quote:
Since domesticated sheep can not shed their fleece \t\tthemselves, their wool will grow longer and longer while flies lay eggs \t\tin the moist folds of their skin. The hatched maggots can eat the sheep \t\talive.
\t\tTo prevent this from happening, ranchers will perform \t\tan operation called mulesing. Without anesthesia large strips of flesh are cut of the backs of lambs and around their tails.
\t\tOther procedures performed without anesthesia include punching a hole in the ears of lambs several weeks after birth, docking their tails and castrating the males. The castrations are done when the male lambs are between 2 and 8 weeks old, with the use of a rubber ring to cut off their blood supply.
So yes, this is why we talk about it, so people know. The knowledge needs to be spread around.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If no one talks about it, then we won't get anything done about it. Just like with any other issue, if no one talks about animal abuse/cruelty/neglect, there weren't be any awareness raised and it will be swept under the rug as someone else said.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Idk why the hell does anyone talk about child abuse? First of all talking about something, you can vent out your frustrations on the subject, ignoring it doesn't make it stop, and what exactly do you mean doing it for yourself? lol how does talking about animal abuse help me exactly? But honestly i don't think i do talk about it on here or really in real life, unless trying to explain something to someone. I do honestly sometimes have to remind myself easily why i'm vegetarian by looking t a video or something for a sec, because sometimes i feel weak and that gets me back to normal very fast.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Some vegans might, this vegan doesn't. I can't even remember the last time I talked about animal abuse IRL - infact I don't even think I do it much on VB (and if so, only because it comes up).

I think I did a little bit more when I turned vegan because I had a lot of explaining to do to friends and family who thought I was mad, and because I was young and outraged that no one else seemed to care. I grew up a bit, and I don't think it's always the best way to reach people, I also don't know much about it anymore - it made me sad and angry to learn, and I don't need that in my life.

That said, I think your logic is wrong. Why would people who don't care about animals suffering go on about it, and why wouldn't people who do sometimes feel the need to? I think a lot of people are very passionate, and want to help inform others to encourage them to make better choices with regards to animal abuse. Lots of veg*ans also spend a lot of time talking about h health and the environment because lo and behold they are linked to veg*anism and a lot of veg*ans care about those things a lot too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts