VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

You know, this unloved guy. All my life my parents buy bread and never use the end pieces of bread and I'm always wondering why. Why don't we use them? Just take each end and make a sandwich out of them.

*dingdingding* That's my piece of toast, actually...

What do you think? Do you eat this? Why or why not? Be honest!

·
3,936 Posts
when I buy a sliced loaf, I use the end piece to keep the rest fresh, and at the end it is dry......then I start a new loaf, and I'd rather eat fresh bread than a crust.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The ends tend to be a bit ratty and not really a complete slice, so they are more likely to fall apart. They're perfect for breadcrumbs though

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have no idea why but my family has done this since I can remember, the 'crusts' as we call them are left in the bag and then thrown away
Baffles me! If I manage to catch it before the mould sets in I will eat them.

Toasting a mice thick crust with some dairy free spread and jam or peanut butter is just EPIC!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Guilty as charged... most of the time. I don't like the crust, therefore, the end pieces do not get eaten unless I am desperate and that's all that is left to the loaf of bread.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree with Blobbenstein here. The crust slice helps keep the rest of the bread fresh so they end up very dry. I tend to throw them into my compost bin.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
if it's a whole piece, I'll eat it. if it's not, and it's only a half or third of a piece, I'll crumble and tear it up and toss it outside for the birds.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Great question.

I usually make my loaf and I always eat the crust. It is by far the best part as it is nice and crusty.

I never throw bread away - leftovers make breadcrumbs and also feed our furry friends in winter.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I throw it away because dropping it just gets messy after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

Great question.

I usually make my loaf and I always eat the crust. It is by far the best part as it is nice and crusty.
That is relieving.

·
Registered
585 Posts
yep the ends dry out...but I usually eat them anyway b/c I don't like wasting food. They are good as long as you spread some Earth Balance on 'em.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
If it's super fresh baked bread then the crust is good, but if it's pre-packaged stuff from the grocery store I don't really care for the ends and never eat them. It's ok though because this drives my husband insane and he'll be sure to eat them so they don't get thrown out.

Actually... I will eat them if they're toasted and I have some soup to dip them in...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

The ONLY good ends come from sourdough or french bread. It's a fact. Science backs it up
I think I saw that on the X-Files so it must be true.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts