VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many thread in here on such a regular basis of people wanting to take the easy way out.

"Being veg*n means you lose weight right?"
"I can just take a pill, right?"
"I don't really need to exercise, right?"

I *know* that most people who took basic health in grade school know there is no magic pill, no easy way out, it's work. Hard. ****ing. Work. It takes time, and it's hard, and you know what? You feel amazing for doing it and succeeding. When you hit milestones with your workouts, or compete in your first 5k, 15k, century bike ride, and so on, you feel like a super human spartan wonder person because you did something AMAZING! The hard way, in my opinion, should be the ideal way to achieve the healthiest form possible, because it is the most rewarding.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
absolutely! Losing weight takes time, dedication, determination, and if you really want it to work, it doesn't mean cheating. It means you stay on the straight and narrow, and if you fall off, you pick yourself back up and start over and over and over till you get it. I haven't regained an ounce and actually am still losing a little since 2007. It's all been weightloss from then on. But you're right....it takes work, and if you really want it badly, you can't do it half a**ed.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Some people just dont have the strong will or great attention span or goal oriented personality that others have. People are different.

I am terrible at all this as I always need to find things fun. I can force myself to do something but eventually my weak will either gives out, or I collapse into a puddle of stress.

I admire people that are determined and goal oriented but my brain is so resistant to routine that is not funny.

I have tried living my life according to goals but I end up feeling overwhelmed and stressed as I end up doing too much on some days and exhausting myself, and the next day I will be like a slug and have no motivation whatsoever, having used it all up on the previous day.

I am really pretty unbalanced. It is what my brain is wired like, it is not good. But I am hoping one day I will find a solution to this problem.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
A lot of science and technology has made our lives easier, in good ways. A fine example is the washing machine. Imagine having to do laundry by hand? I honestly can't, I'd prob just wear a shirt for seven days straight, donate it, and buy a new one at the end of the week.

So now people think everything can be done instantly.

Media doesn't help either. Some stars and models may be blessed with genetics, but two important factors have to be observed in the situation of genes.

a) Maybe these beautiful stars actually work really hard to get their bodies to look they way they do, with nutrition and exercise. They also probably pay stylists. They may even get subtle surgery done.

b) Maybe they do have genes that give them a speedier metabolism. It works for the now, with the way that the first world has food provisions setup. We have food available to us 24/7. If these high metabolism individuals lived 60000 years ago, there's a chance they'd easily die in times of caloric restriction due to certain circumstances.

TL;DR.

People are raised to think everything is easy/brought up lazy. Thank you 21st century.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The short term pursuit of pleasure and avoidance of pain is probably the most prominent factor in the decision making process of the average person. The ability to move towards a goal while completely disregarding both of these factors is a rare quality and, given how easy day to day survival has become in the modern industrialized world, a quality that is not the survival advantage that it once was. This goes not just for fitness and health, but life in general. Every day at work I see a bunch of extremely lazy people (there are a few exceptions) who seem to feel that they are entitled to their pay and benefits by virtue of them simply being there and actually get mad at those of us who work hard out of fear that they might be forced to get up off their asses to avoid looking bad.

I personally enjoy adding psychological factors to my workouts just to increase their perceived difficulty in a manner that allows me to practice this trait, such as doing my workouts outdoors when the weather is really, really ****ty. I despise most gym atmospheres due to the "exercise from the comfort of a bench in a heated/air conditioned facility yelling about pain is weakness leaving the body despite not having any idea what pain really is while listening to some random Britney Spears song" attitude that seems to be prevalent in them.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
nomad makes a good point - avoidance of pain. Most living organisms strive for three things: sex (reproduction), food (survival), pain avoidance (less pain = more enjoyable life).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha I hear you. I dabbled in vegetarianism a few years ago, but now i've been one for over a year now and I have gained weight LOL But BECAUSE I like junk food too much (too bad most of it is vegetarian!!!!!) I stabilized it when I ran my first half marathon, but i have been slacking w/running lately, and on it comes!!!

I will be the first one to say that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if there was a quick fix, but I know there never, ever will be! As is life, right?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmagnolia11 View Post

Haha I hear you. I dabbled in vegetarianism a few years ago, but now i've been one for over a year now and I have gained weight LOL But BECAUSE I like junk food too much (too bad most of it is vegetarian!!!!!) I stabilized it when I ran my first half marathon, but i have been slacking w/running lately, and on it comes!!!

I will be the first one to say that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if there was a quick fix, but I know there never, ever will be! As is life, right?
Wouldn't we all? I think I gained a bit of weight when I first changed too, because I liked what I was eating more, and I had no frigging clue about portions. I also became extremely athletic shortly after turning, because I started loving what my body can do for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I asked my doctor that. He prescribed pfizer.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

The hard way, in my opinion, should be the ideal way to achieve the healthiest form possible, because it is the most rewarding.
A lot of people won't share that opinion. The "reward" is being thin, not some feeling of pride. A lot of people don't care for exercise and they don't care for the feeling of being able to do e. g. a one-arm-push-up.

Do you scrub your laundry with your hands when there is a washing machine available? You want clean clothes and if there is a machine doing this for you, you go for the machine. At least I don't know anyone who would scrub dirty clothes with their hands because "the hard way to do laundry is more rewarding".

So you want to lose weight and there is a pill you can swallow instead of torturing yourself with the so-called "life style changes"? I sure a hell would go for such a thing (if it should be safe and has reasonable results, that is)!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

absolutely! Losing weight takes time, dedication, determination, and if you really want it to work, it doesn't mean cheating. It means you stay on the straight and narrow, and if you fall off, you pick yourself back up and start over and over and over till you get it. I haven't regained an ounce and actually am still losing a little since 2007. It's all been weightloss from then on. But you're right....it takes work, and if you really want it badly, you can't do it half a**ed.
Nice job, so did I.

However, if there would have been a safe (and working!!) pill I could have swallowed without much negative side effects - I sure would have done it.

Why make things harder than necessary? If there is an easy way that works long-term, I'm sure going for it (gotta love that washing machine, dryer and microwave).

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
For a lot of people, the 'hard' is what makes them love their bodies. Discovering what they can make it do, learning to treat it right. I wouldn't be surprised if such a pill existed, if body satisfaction was still lower in those who went for it and lost a ton of weight, compared to those who ate well and exercised, even if they didn't exactly reach their weight loss goals.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflon View Post

A lot of people won't share that opinion. The "reward" is being thin, not some feeling of pride. A lot of people don't care for exercise and they don't care for the feeling of being able to do e. g. a one-arm-push-up.

Do you scrub your laundry with your hands when there is a washing machine available? You want clean clothes and if there is a machine doing this for you, you go for the machine. At least I don't know anyone who would scrub dirty clothes with their hands because "the hard way to do laundry is more rewarding".

So you want to lose weight and there is a pill you can swallow instead of torturing yourself with the so-called "life style changes"? I sure a hell would go for such a thing (if it should be safe and has reasonable results, that is)!!
I hand washed laundry for awhile, but it's hard to wring it dry well enough that it will air dry before it goes sour.

I get all the produce I need, organic, and free, from work and still I tend a 1000+ sq ft garden, just for the rewarding feeling.

So we're out there, crazy people who do things the hard way...

·
Registered
498 Posts
One of my favorite quotes came from my organic chemistry professor (he may have stolen this from somewhere else):

Why does something happen? Because it's energetically favorable to do so?

Of course, he was talking about chemistry, but it can be related to EVERYTHING.

If it's easier to sit on a couch, watch TV, and take some magic pill that does all the work, of course the average person will do it (or want to do it). Because it's easier.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Weightloss can be frustrating and difficult so I think it's only natural that folks will want to accomplish it by the easiest and most expedient means possible. I agree that 'fast and easy' isn't the most effective way to lose weight but at the same time I don't view it as a reason for disdain either. Like all other animals, humans are basically programmed to eat, sleep and reproduce with the least amount of energy expenditure required. We're always looking for the easy way out and if you want to call that being lazy, then so is every other animal on the planet. That's not to make excuses though. I just try to be understanding of the fact that we're a bit out of our element right now and have to work harder to achieve an ideal body weight, in terms of making a conscious effort to do so, than we ever have in human history.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Mufflon, I'm not sure I would have ever turned to a pill for weight loss. My changes started with Weight watchers which was a good beginning, but then went veg 5 months later, and that's when true healthy eating started. I liked the changes I saw and I know it was because of what "I" was doing....I was exercising, and I was eating healthy, and I was in control of what I put into me.

I don't think I was ever at a point that popping a pill ever crossed my mind. I also never experienced the "inability to lose weight" though either. I never had any experience like people say they've done everything, but they can't drop a pound, so I don't know that frustration.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
While I agree that, theoretically, there is nothing WRONG with looking for the easiest way to accomplish any given goal, the difference between diet pills and washing machines is that the washing machines actually work better than hand washing in nearly every aspect, while diet pills are next to useless. Just another branch of the consume your way to healthy mentality.

That said, the easier methods in regards to fitness often don't actually save you any time anyway regardless of whether or not they work. I spend 1/4 as much time working out as a lot of people yet get much better results, the difference being that while they're trotting on the treadmill at a snail's pace watching T.V. or listening to Britney Spears, I'm out doing everything I can to shock my body into adapting. Thus, in this case doing it the hard way is in fact both faster and more efficient than doing it the easy way. I wouldn't go so far as to criticize others for their methods though. Everyone's gotta do their own thing. And if their "thing" is to latch on to unnecessarily expensive equipment (I honestly can't think of a more useless piece of equipment than a treadmill, but again that's just me) and marketing gimmicks for years and years and then complain that nothing works, then great. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

While I agree that, theoretically, there is nothing WRONG with looking for the easiest way to accomplish any given goal, the difference between diet pills and washing machines is that the washing machines actually work better than hand washing in nearly every aspect, while diet pills are next to useless. Just another branch of the consume your way to healthy mentality.

That said, the easier methods in regards to fitness often don't actually save you any time anyway regardless of whether or not they work. I spend 1/4 as much time working out as a lot of people yet get much better results, the difference being that while they're trotting on the treadmill at a snail's pace watching T.V. or listening to Britney Spears, I'm out doing everything I can to shock my body into adapting. Thus, in this case doing it the hard way is in fact both faster and more efficient than doing it the easy way. I wouldn't go so far as to criticize others for their methods though. Everyone's gotta do their own thing. And if their "thing" is to latch on to unnecessarily expensive equipment (I honestly can't think of a more useless piece of equipment than a treadmill, but again that's just me) and marketing gimmicks for years and years and then complain that nothing works, then great. I have no complaints.
can you give me a good workout example that you do?

wanna try it out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts