VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate artichoke, onions, and bell peppers, and I'm not a big fan of eggplant, but it depends on how it's prepared.

Occassionally, I'll be eating with an omni, and one of the aforementioned nasty foods will become the topic of discussion. Either someone's preparing a meal for me and tries to put it in my food, or I'll be at a restuarant and the meal I order will include it.

I mention that I don't want onions on my sandwich, or they see me picking the bell pepper out of my stirfry and they find this disturbing for some reason. "What do you mean you don't like onions? You're a vegetarian!"

Why do I have to like every damn vegetable on the planet? Yes, I'm vegan, no, I don't eat meat. Is the world going to come crashing down simply because I don't like a certain vegetable? I like all the other veggies I've tried. There was a time, years ago when I was a child, that I liked artichoke (taste buds have changed, apparently), but I've never liked bell pepper (except in gazpacho soup because you can't taste it much) or onions. Do people expect that I'm going to go vegan and *POOF* all of a sudden I'm buying onions in bulk and steaming artichokes every night?

I don't get it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Many people seem to think that veg*ans only eat vegetables and fruit. I guess that has to do with the name. I used to think a vegetarian was someone who lived on vegetables, since I couldnt imagine any other foods that werent meat =)

So, I guess some people expect veg*ans to really like vegetables, and find it odd if they dont?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I feel your pain, Tymps. I absolutely despise eggplant, and my dad is ALWAYS cooking me eggplant. Even though I've told him a hundred times that I don't like eggplant. I guess he just thinks eggplant is THE food for vegans.

I also hate cucumbers and green peppers, which sucks because they're probably the two most ubiquitous vegetables on the planet. At non-veg-friendly places where all I can eat is a salad? The salad has cucumber. If there's a stir-fry? The stir-fry has green pepper. ARGH

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
The reason you don't like those veggies is to leave more of them around for me to eat.

Everyone has their preferences. If you hated all vegetables, I would suggest you work on slowly introducing the least-despised veggies into your diet. If you're getting all your nutrients from a variety of vegan food, there's not a dang thing wrong with what you eat as a vegan.

I hate bananas and raisins. With a lot of effort, I've gotten myself to the place I can eat bananas in a fruit salad and raisins in some kinds of baked goods. I can't eat either solo. Still, it makes things a lot easier to be able to eat them when mixed with things I do like.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I know how you feel. I can't think of anything nastier than mushrooms. People have given me a hard time about it, since they think vegans can't eat anything. But I have found many foods I like without having to eat fungus.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

The reason you don't like those veggies is to leave more of them around for me to eat.

Everyone has their preferences. If you hated all vegetables, I would suggest you work on slowly introducing the least-despised veggies into your diet. If you're getting all your nutrients from a variety of vegan food, there's not a dang thing wrong with what you eat as a vegan.

I hate bananas and raisins. With a lot of effort, I've gotten myself to the place I can eat bananas in a fruit salad and raisins in some kinds of baked goods. I can't eat either solo. Still, it makes things a lot easier to be able to eat them when mixed with things I do like.
That's because raisins are like rat turds.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescas View Post

So, I guess some people expect veg*ans to really like vegetables, and find it odd if they dont?
Hmm.. I thought Tymps said she likes most vegetables, but there are a few really popular ones she dislikes. I can't think of any vegetables/fruits I genuinely hate; there are a few I can do without but I eat them if they're put in front of me (cantaloupe, mushy cooked carrots or peas).

Cilantro strikes me as just plain nasty, as does habanero pepper. But some folks love those.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
You should start listing weird meats and see if they like them all

"What do you MEAN you don't like TRIPE?!? You eat MEAT don't you?!"

Other good options include brains, kidneys, goat, turtle, dog, etc...

I can't eat onions because they make me ill, I don't like artichokes or asparagus, or potatoes when they aren't in soup or crisp on the outside (i.e. french fries, roasted). The potatoes thing seems to bother people the most.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
beatricious, I'm offended.

Skylark, it's funny I'm the exact opposite with raisins. I like them solo, but I can't stand them in baked goods or in any other dish.

And Tymps, you think you have it bad! I like most veggies and fruits, but I don't like potatoes (except in crispy forms) or mushrooms. Practically every time there's one veggie option on a menu it involves potatoes or mushrooms in some way!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

You should start listing weird meats and see if they like them all

"What do you MEAN you don't like TRIPE?!? You eat MEAT don't you?!"

Other good options include brains, kidneys, goat, turtle, dog, etc...
That was going to be my suggestion as well.

((shudder))

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. I like pretty much every vegetable I've ever tried, except for lima beans. And nobody thinks I'm weird for not liking those.

Why do they sell lima beans at every supermarket? Are there really people who choose to eat those things, or are they marketed for the express purpose of torturing children?

--Fromper

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
maybe it's the onions that surprise them, since onions are pretty common.

but it's perfectly normal (whatever that means...) to have preferences.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I guess I'm lucky. I like pretty much every vegetable I've ever tried, except for lima beans. And nobody thinks I'm weird for not liking those.

Why do they sell lima beans at every supermarket? Are there really people who choose to eat those things, or are they marketed for the express purpose of torturing children?

--Fromper

Well, there's lima beans and then there's lima beans...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have never had eggplant. I have no idea what it is. Perhaps it has a diferent name in UK?

Ok, I am not such a fan of avocados or pumkin-like vegetables. I don't like raisins or any dried fruit, and I don't like the mushiness of bananas, but I try to make myself eat them anyway. The only thing I can think of that I HATE with a passion, is chilli. Other than that, I think I'm pretty good with most of it.

I agree, the onion thing must suck as they are in like everything. Still, keep it up, people will learn soon enough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't like mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and a lot more other ones.But, there are plenty of veggies out there. Haha, I like Rabid_Child's response. start listing gross meat like bull testicles.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts