VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been vegetarian since '97. I've gone vegan for months at a time, but I always end up reverting to just vegetarian. It's weird, but as an ovo/lacto-veg, I remain pretty close to vegan. The only non-vegan stuff in my diet is small amounts of butter and parmesan cheese and occassionally an egg white white in a veggie burger. The

cravings for meat passed years ago -- about a month or two into turning veg. However, when I go vegan, do I crave the veggie burger with the egg white? No! I get cravings for absolutely disgusting #$% like Wendy's burgers or other fast food. It's baffling because I would really like to make vegan a permanent thing finally. I also notice if I'm recovering from being ill, I crave real garbage that I haven't eaten in years.

Has anyone gone through something like this? What do you make of it?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah its weird. I crave meat sausages sometimes - which I hated when I ate meat - but now I've found a similar smelling/tasting non-meat version that craving is almost gone.

I still crave KFC - not the chicken part but the seasoning.

BTW there was an article the other day (in an Aust. newspaper) about the addictive properties of cheese and meat. And they used lacto-vegetarians as an example. I have to say cheese is going to be the hardest thing for me to give up. I've found a rennet free cheese but I'd prefer not to eat it at all. The article seemed to put cheese in the comfort food zone.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
When I was prego I really wanted Chic-fila(?spelling), but morally I couldn't do it even though even would literally say"what's it gonna hurt?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frazzy

I'm 100 hundred percent certain I'm not pregnant. I'm male. LOL.
Well then everything's fine! You know that Real Men Have To Eat Meat? (tm)

You are just being a real man!!

Seriously, cravings often (always?) mean your body is missing something, most notably calories. Fill up on fruit, then have a huga salad. In my experience, it is impossible to still have a craving then.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Try eating salted nuts when you get a craving for garbage like that.

That helps me with my cravings.

I hadn't had any cravings for a long time, but last week wanted to run out and buy a bucket of fried chicken. Outta nowhere this happened. So I ate a handful of salted nuts and the craving went away. It's probably an overload of sodium you want. And being a guy, guys get salt cravings more than women...I know I had a helluva time quitting the sweets, and now I eat fruit instead. My husband always wants french fries or nachos....not that those are a Wendy's burger...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts