VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I was thinking the other day about apps (you know, cell phone apps) and I began to wonder about vegan apps. I have a few of them. They are helpful, but can be tedious. I also have a lot of weight loss apps. One in particular allows you to scan any product, it then lists the ingredients on the phone, along with serving size, etc and you can add it to your food diary. If that technology is out there, why can't someone make an app for vegans? You scan the product, it runs the list of ingredients against a stored library of vegan and non vegan ingredients, and it says "Vegan" or "Not Vegan" or "Questionable based on processed sugar" (just one example). I feel like it would help newbies out, or even old timers in a pinch. I don't have any experience or knowledge when it comes to app development, but I feel like that wouldn't be that far of a stretch...sorry, just a random rant/wish list. *sigh*

·
Registered
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

Okay, so I was thinking the other day about apps (you know, cell phone apps) and I began to wonder about vegan apps. I have a few of them. They are helpful, but can be tedious. I also have a lot of weight loss apps. One in particular allows you to scan any product, it then lists the ingredients on the phone, along with serving size, etc and you can add it to your food diary. If that technology is out there, why can't someone make an app for vegans? You scan the product, it runs the list of ingredients against a stored library of vegan and non vegan ingredients, and it says "Vegan" or "Not Vegan" or "Questionable based on processed sugar" (just one example). I feel like it would help newbies out, or even old timers in a pinch. I don't have any experience or knowledge when it comes to app development, but I feel like that wouldn't be that far of a stretch...sorry, just a random rant/wish list. *sigh*
Great idea! The only downside I can see is people not actually learning about the ingredients and then being frustrated when repeatedly scanning products and getting the 'Not Vegan' message.

·
Registered
499 Posts
http://bestandroidappsfor.com/health...or-vegetarians

I use animal-free, it has most things. I have yet to find one like you're describing, it would be quite nice. I think the hardest part would be compiling the database. The only way I could see it coming into being would be to scan the barcode and take you to the companies website. Compiling thousands of products ingredients and making sure they were up to date would be a huge pain.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by obankobi View Post

http://bestandroidappsfor.com/health...or-vegetarians

I use animal-free, it has most things. I have yet to find one like you're describing, it would be quite nice. I think the hardest part would be compiling the database. The only way I could see it coming into being would be to scan the barcode and take you to the companies website. Compiling thousands of products ingredients and making sure they were up to date would be a huge pain.
I have animal free. It just can be a pain. I guess I figured that since the weight loss app that scans bar-codes is already out there, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to just merge it with animal free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm working on a web app that can scan products and output whether it vegetarian or not. It is very early stages and I'm testing whether it can correctly recognize barcodes/food products. It won't tell you whether its vegetarian yet but it should (hopefully!) output the ingredients list.

I'll be adding a cool feature for Android users that will allow live scanning but it's not ready yet. Sorry iOS users, Apple doesn't allow this feature.

All feedback is welcomed:
http://isvegetarian.com/product-search/

Many thanks!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Sorry about the bump up, but thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts