VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your short answer to this question when asked?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Because I value freedom and try to give it to the greatest extent possible. The more I give, the more I'll get.

·
Registered
337 Posts
# 1- Because I am healthier and happier without eating animals (Most non-offensive answer)

#2- I prefer a peaceful diet. (sometimes I add- and eating pain, death and torture isn't peaceful)

#3- Because I don't need to.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Because I'm not a total *******.

Usually I say these things:

It feels like the right thing for me.

It is the best choice I can make for myself, the animals and the environment.

After researching it extensively, it made the most sense to make this choice.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

Animals are friends, not food

·
Registered
51 Posts
My short answer is "animal cruelty". (it makes me sick to know that helpless creatures are being tortured and killed every day!)

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I don't know why, but I'm always caught off guard when people ask me this. It seems rather obvious. I answer, "for the animals". I can't see any other reason why I'd be vegan.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Usually I say these things:

It feels like the right thing for me.

It is the best choice I can make for myself, the animals and the environment.

After researching it extensively, it made the most sense to make this choice.
I like all those answers! Going to have to use them.
My lame caught-off-guard answer is usually "for the animals, and health reasons."

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I don't know why, but I'm always caught off guard when people ask me this. It seems rather obvious.
Me too! I had a friend on the phone bluntly ask me- I was like, "duh...uh...duh....."
I was curious what you guys usually say on the fly. I don't want to prompt a debate 99% of the time. I could use these responses!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Lately I have resorted to telling people not to ask me.

Come to the conclusion that for most people giving them a truthfull answer is a bit like in the saying about teaching pigs to whistle; It only wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

Me too! I had a friend on the phone bluntly ask me- I was like, "duh...uh...duh....."
I was curious what you guys usually say on the fly. I don't want to prompt a debate 99% of the time. I could use these responses!
Yeah, it's like people think I would actually just randomly choose to deprive myself of some of the tasty non-vegan foods for no reason whatsoever.
Just the definition of veganism makes it so obvious! Sometimes when people ask me why I'm vegan I think they may not understand or know what it is so I kind of answer by explaining to them, but most of the time people say something like, "So you really like animals?" that that shows clear understanding of the meaning and reasoning behind being vegan, and then they still ask why. It's like they're bouncing a ball against a wall, knowing perfectly well the same exact ball they threw will bounce right back at them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts