21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandByMe View Post

Guys,

I've brought this up before:

I love tofu and have no grudge to bear against any plant, but imo you need to take the studies seriously about soy and the male brain. There are no two showing a very negative impact including 1) increased Alzheimers and 2) decreased brain mass. One of these studies was out of Japan and thus it is very unlikely to be part of a mass beef kabal. When it comes to your neurons, it's better to be cautious!
Could you elaborate on the Japanese study? The only study I've heard of on the subject from Japan said it increased memory(it was actually some isolated element of soy mixed with L-serine, to be fair). There was an American study in Hawaii on Japanese-American men, where it said something of the sort, but it only tracked consumption of twenty-six different foods and wasn't looking all that closely on other lifestyle factors. Is that the one you're thinking of?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I consume lots of soy daily in the form of soymilk and tofu and whatnot, but even I'm not really sure that my intake is all that healthy. Westernized soy production is quick and dirty and quite different from the traditional fermented soy products. Also, the amount of soy consumed historically by Asian peoples is often greatly exaggerated. I don't remember where I read it, but typically it amounted to only about two tablespoons of tofu a day. Used only for flavoring. Not the multiple glasses of soy milk we westerners consume and certainly not the processed soy products that we too often rely upon. Everything in moderation.
Um, I would beg to differ. My very traditional parents (only when it came to cooking!lol) fed me lots of tofu (even tho my family is omni) as I was going up. Not only that, soy milk is a very common beverage. They would drink it sweetened like a dessert drink, quite plain as a refreshment, or even savory used in soup. The chinese kinds of soy milk usually taste more bean-y tho. I guess it's because they are slightly less processed.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I should add that I would get a slight allergic reaction to traditional chinese soy milk...but I can drink Silk fine. weird.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

The chinese kinds of soy milk usually taste more bean-y tho. I guess it's because they are slightly less processed.
Yes but that's the point I was trying to get across. I really appreciate your input though and glad that you are doing so well.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandByMe View Post

Btw, I'm not trying to be definitive. The Japanese eat a lot of soy. However, I'm just saying I'd err on the side of caution when it comes to your neurons.

Here's brain shrinkage study:
http://www.jacn.org/content/19/2/242.full

Here's a link to higher memory loss (British/Indonesian)
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/114061.php
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

Btw, I admit it's not all cut and dry. Here's an article from one of my favorite authors John Robbins, who argues for caution.
http://www.vegfamily.com/health/is-soy-bad-for-you.htm

NOTE: He strongly cautions against soy in infant formulas.
The first study is the Hawaiian one. The subjects who consumed tofu were older than the others, and on average, were born from poorer socioeconomic backgrounds and had suffered more strokes than the non-tofu eaters. That last article you posted also mentions the increased levels of aluminum in Hawaiian waters, which would probably factor into any tofu made there.

The Indonesian study might not apply to western nations because of the widespread use of formaldehyde as a preservative in tofu over there. Formaldehyde is known to kill brain cells, and it would explain why tempeh consumers had beneficial effects in the study(Indonesian tempeh is not preserved with formaldehyde like tofu is/was).

I think perhaps these studies should be taken with a grain of salt, at least until someone redoes it somewhere that doesn't have tofu laced with known brain inhibitors. I'm personally in the same camp as nomad888 on the subject though; soy is just a food, rather than a magic elixir or a deadly poison.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan724 View Post

I obviously need to up my soy intake.
Maybe make 3-4 trips to Starbucks daily. That might help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

The first study is the Hawaiian one. The subjects who consumed tofu were older than the others, and on average, were born from poorer socioeconomic backgrounds and had suffered more strokes than the non-tofu eaters. That last article you posted also mentions the increased levels of aluminum in Hawaiian waters, which would probably factor into any tofu made there.

The Indonesian study might not apply to western nations because of the widespread use of formaldehyde as a preservative in tofu over there. Formaldehyde is known to kill brain cells, and it would explain why tempeh consumers had beneficial effects in the study(Indonesian tempeh is not preserved with formaldehyde like tofu is/was).

I think perhaps these studies should be taken with a grain of salt, at least until someone redoes it somewhere that doesn't have tofu laced with known brain inhibitors. I'm personally in the same camp as nomad888 on the subject though; soy is just a food, rather than a magic elixir or a deadly poison.
Ha! Logic!
I like.

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
My soy milk only contains 6% of soy.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Don't worry about that. It just means you'll need 17 servings a day to go senile and/or become a memory master.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
It just means you'll need 17 servings a day to go senile
Which is 2 more than you need for moobs! (If I recall correctly which megadose of soy saw breast development in guys.) So you can still keep your mental abilities. Just keep it to 15 servings for cleavage.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

Um, I would beg to differ. My very traditional parents (only when it came to cooking!lol) fed me lots of tofu (even tho my family is omni) as I was going up. Not only that, soy milk is a very common beverage. They would drink it sweetened like a dessert drink, quite plain as a refreshment, or even savory used in soup. The chinese kinds of soy milk usually taste more bean-y tho. I guess it's because they are slightly less processed.
I totally second that. Soy is ubiquitous here. They even put tofu in meat dishes.
Mary forgot the pieces of tofu, flavoured and sold under blister that many people munch on during the day.
As far as I know, soy intake is quite high here since it's perceived as a veggie and one that is good for you, especially women.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Now I've got a craving for chou doufu. Talking about food always makes me miss China (and Taiwan, which seems to be much more veggie friendly)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I drink Hemp milk. I just like the name.. Plus, it taste good to me. Kinda earthy sweet. I like.. I eat Tofu a few times a week. I like it pretty much any way but gelatinous. In it's native tofu form it feels like eating a mixture of bathtub caulk, snot and sperm whale testicles. Don't ask me how I would know that..?..WTF?

I have read that in Japan they tend to eat tofu that is more fermented and that it's quite a bit more healthy this way. In the West we get the big corporation version that causes your gentiles to shrivel up, your ears to fall off and your eyes to cross. As I need these items occasionally I tend to eat tofu in moderation. I had tofu sausage links for breakfast and they were tasty. But, my eyes were crossed till lunch time.

I have always subscribed to the idea of eating a well rounded diet. That is to mix it up throughout the days and weeks. Not too much or too little of anything. It's part of my larger spiritual intent towards the future. Compassion and balance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good informative and entertaining comment. Not eating any animal products has driven to probably rely to much on rice and beans and a protein shake to help me keep up with necessary nutrition. Balance, hopefully different bean types counts as variety

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

I drink Hemp milk. I just like the name.. Plus, it taste good to me. Kinda earthy sweet. I like.. I eat Tofu a few times a week. I like it pretty much any way but gelatinous. In it's native tofu form it feels like eating a mixture of bathtub caulk, snot and sperm whale testicles. Don't ask me how I would know that..?..WTF?

I have read that in Japan they tend to eat tofu that is more fermented and that it's quite a bit more healthy this way. In the West we get the big corporation version that causes your gentiles to shrivel up, your ears to fall off and your eyes to cross. As I need these items occasionally I tend to eat tofu in moderation. I had tofu sausage links for breakfast and they were tasty. But, my eyes were crossed till lunch time.

I have always subscribed to the idea of eating a well rounded diet. That is to mix it up throughout the days and weeks. Not too much or too little of anything. It's part of my larger spiritual intent towards the future. Compassion and balance.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts