VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why Are There So Many Cat Avatars?

5K views 109 replies 28 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 ·
Just curious. They are meat eaters, after all.

#2 ·
I feed members who break the rules to my cat.

Lord Hillyer, Yes, I still continue to participate in cruelty by feeding a couple of cats. Cats, unlike humans, are necessarily carnivorous (except for occasional greens), so I don't exactly feel guilt for feeding my cats meat. I've had them ever since I was an omni, but I don't know if that's relevant because I would get more cats if I did not have any. Yes, a lot of us are vegan and own cats.

#7 ·
My dogs are Vegan now- before they at the BARF diet and/or top quality kibbles like EVO. Now they eat Vegan kibble with all kinds of yummies and suppliments
I am researching Vegan cat food but cats are even more necessarily meat eating than dogs, so I won't do the switch unless I am certain it is healthy/safe.

#8 ·
Animals are not slaughtered specifically to make Friskies and Fancy Feast. Pet food companies use byproducts of the commercial meat industry.

As long as humans eat huge amounts of chicken, beef, etc., there will be unwanted byproducts, whether or not we choose to keep carnivorous species as domestic pets.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Animals are not slaughtered specifically to make Friskies and Fancy Feast. Pet food companies use byproducts of the commercial meat industry.
That doesn't mean your animal should be fed crap food, because it fits your vegan standards a little better.

OP: I also have 3 cats. and a dog. They're all raw-fed meateaters.

Mmmveggies: Carnivorous animals are SUPPOSED to eat the byproducts. Just not ONLY the byproducts; and especially not the crappy byproducts in kibble. When they eat a natural diet, they eat almost the whole animal (most leave the stomachs & partially digested food). That includes the byproducts that humans waste, as well as the muscle meat that humans deem good enough to eat.

ETA: I used to buy by-product free "premium" kibble when my animals were kibble-fed. Then when I started researching raw, I realized "oh, DUH..." They aren't humans. We really can't and shouldn't try to change them to make them like us. They should be getting primarily muscle-meat (the human-edible "meat") then a MUCH smaller percentage of by products (bones/organs).

#14 ·
Because I think a lot of people don't eat meat because they like animals. And people who like animals are often inclined to keep animals as pets. And people tend to like their pets so they use them in their avatars. Works for me.

Are you offended by all pictorial representations of carnivores? Or is it just catty avatars?

Or is it just the perceived irony of a proliferation of pictures of carnivores on a vegetarian forum that we're aiming for here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hillyer View Post

They are meat eaters
Mine aren't.

#20 ·
Amazing. Quite a lot of reflexive hostility. I simply enquired why so many people use cats as avatars. It seems like a reasonable curiousity since these are vegetarian boards. The analogy would be like using one's motor vehicle as an avatar on a global warming site, or one's microwave as an avatar on a raw food site. Why choose one of those things over another, in a specific context, with so many millions of options available? I'm not judging, just wondering.

#22 ·
Quote:

Amazing. Quite a lot of reflexive hostility. I simply enquired why so many people use cats as avatars. It seems like a reasonable curiousity since these are vegetarian boards. The analogy would be like using one's motor vehicle as an avatar on a global warming site, or one's microwave as an avatar on a raw food site. Why choose one of those things over another, in a specific context, with so many millions of options available? I'm not judging, just wondering.
I'll ask you the same question I asked Troub who shares your belief that cats should not be kept as pets... What do you think we should do with the domestic pets that exist today? The compassionate, vegan, thing to do is to take care of them. Veganism is about reducing animal suffering, so setting them free to suffer won't work, feeding them food that'll make them sick won't work, and euthanizing them won't work.

You might be sensing "reflexive hostility" because this question gets raised from time to time in an effort to bash those who keep omnivorous domesticated pets. And that seems to be the case again.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I'll ask you the same question I asked Troub who shares your belief that cats should not be kept as pets... What do you think we should do with the domestic pets that exist today? The compassionate, vegan, thing to do is to take care of them. Veganism is about reducing animal suffering, so setting them free to suffer won't work, feeding them food that'll make them sick won't work, and euthanizing them won't work.

You might be sensing "reflexive hostility" because this question gets raised from time to time in an effort to bash those who keep omnivorous domesticated pets. And that seems to be the case again.
Non sequitur. You respond to something different than what I have asked. I refer you again to my two previous posts.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolly_lollykins View Post

I chose mine because I wanted to choose something easily off my computer and it's the first one I came across lol. It's cute. I have a cat too
Just FYI: A lot of people choose the stock avatars. It's better to choose your own if you wish to be distinguishable from other individuals. Yours is a very popular avatar...

#25 ·
Quote:

My apologies. My first answer was rather defensive. I use my cat in an avatar not in any way symbolic of vegetarianism, but as someone that I love. You could look at it another way: a lot of us are vegan for the animals, even if being owned by a cat brings about some contradictions in lifestyle.

#26 ·
I don't see the analogy between using a car as an avatar on a global warming board and using a cat as an avatar on a vegetarian board. Because it is a board about human diet, not animal diet. So where is the analogy? Cats don't have anything to do with human diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.