VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we weren't supposed to eat meat?
I was having a discussion with my hubby and I was wondering why do we need those mock meat foods in a vegetarian diet?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't think anyone ever said we needed them. They're tasty, so I eat them. I also don't need cola or potato chips, but they often find their way past my lips.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I would assume most people who are veg*ns used to be omnivores, so they have often grown up to be familiar with the taste of fast food, various meats, dairy products, etc. That their ethics change doesn't mean they wouldn't appreciate the processed or salty or fatty or deep-fried taste of some of the stuff they ate growing up, and that to me is entirely understandable, and doesn't take away any of the value of the ethical commitment at all.

I do think it's weird if some vegan products are even shaped to resemble a dead animal part; maybe they are shaped like that to entice curious omni customers, or to offer something that vegans can serve to omnis. But to me, the only thing I am attached to are some elements of taste that I'm familiar with -- I don't need or want the product to resemble dead animal parts in other ways.

If I, and other vegans, had grown up in a culture where we had eaten grilled zucchini at every meal, then this wouldn't be an issue. Or if it was discovered that zucchini production involves killing cows and pigs and chickens, then the vegan market would have mock-zucchini products with a similar taste to real zucchini.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Because we feel like having those options? I didn't give up meat because i hate it i loved the taste of it, and if you could make something that tastes exactly like it without killing an animal then i'll eat it. Why are there so many people who even question this or don't understand it?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I was raised vegetarian, so I never ate meat. I love certain imitation meat products because they taste good, not because they remind me of anything. I don't really think of them as fake meat, I just think of them as another food product.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Well products like tofu, tempeh, and seitan have existed for a very long time. They are simply high protein foods. They were invented as foods because humans are creative. Its the same reason wine, cheese, bread, or any other processed food exists.

When it comes to newer foods specifically created to mimic the taste, texture, and look of animal products (like tofurky, daiya, field roast, yves, gardein, etc), well those exist because many people would like to eat those foods (for taste, tradition, nutrition, or other reason) without harming animals.

Did you know that the market for those products is not just vegetarian or vegan? Many consumers of meat alternatives are people who still eat some animals. These are the "meat reducers" who are experimenting with alternative protein sources. Since they're most familiar and comfortable with meat they find cooking with meat alternatives easier than switching to unprocessed legumes. This is why you'll hear some vegans and vegetarian refer to meat substitutes as "transition foods."

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I was raised vegetarian, so I never ate meat. I love certain imitation meat products because they taste good, not because they remind me of anything. I don't really think of them as fake meat, I just think of them as another food product.
me too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It really irritates me when omnis ask me why I'm being "hypocritical" by eating things like Morningstar Hickory BBQ Riblets when "I'm supposed to not like meat." Since when does being vegan mean you are required to dislike the taste of BBQ ribs?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Fake meats are delicious, and they don't harm animals, so why not? Like many others, I didn't become vegetarian because I dislike the flavor of meat. Fake chicken patties and nuggets were one of the main things that allowed me to become vegetarian in the first place, as chicken was the most difficult for me to give up.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Fake meats are delicious, and they don't harm animals, so why not?

They are also a good way of impressing omni people if they come round for dinner.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklegloss View Post

If we weren't supposed to eat meat?
I was having a discussion with my hubby and I was wondering why do we need those mock meat foods in a vegetarian diet?
Thanks
As you can see here- even lifelong vegetarians like them! In fact, they don't actually taste like meat-they replicate the herbs, spices and cooking methods that things like sausage and burgers have. A bean burger has nothing in common with a cow other than it's convienent shape. Field roast has the delicious-ness of spice and grill quality of pig parts, but lacks the pig parts.

Better question is---Why are we calling them "mock meats"?
The reason is simply that meat is still what most people eat, and we just don't have better words. If you look at Indian foods they have far better descriptions, but don't translate well.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

As you can see here- even lifelong vegetarians like them! In fact, they don't actually taste like meat-they replicate the herbs, spices and cooking methods that things like sausage and burgers have. A bean burger has nothing in common with a cow other than it's convienent shape. Field roast has the delicious-ness of spice and grill quality of pig parts, but lacks the pig parts.

Better question is---Why are we calling them "mock meats"?
The reason is simply that meat is still what most people eat, and we just don't have better words. If you look at Indian foods they have far better descriptions, but don't translate well.

Here's another way of thinking about it.. You can get a standard hotdog, an all-beef hotdog, a turkey dog or a tofu dog. I don't think of a tofu dog as a fake meat hotdog anymore than I would think of a turkey dog as a fake beef hotdog.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
I think if the traditional cuisine in our society was vegetarian then we wouldn't have "fake meat".

What most vegetarians in our culture are is ex-omnis. Therefore their favorite dishes used to be meat-based, and they have found ways to reinvent them.

If meat was never consumed in our culture then maybe we wouldn't have burgers etc.

Personally I never liked meat but I do like other aspects of traditional favorites. For example, I love the spices and texture of breakfast sausage but never liked the meat flavor in it. Now I have Morningstar breakfast sausage which has the same spices and texture but no meat flavor (to me).

Quote:
we weren't supposed to eat meat
Also, all vegetarians don't share that opinion. I don't see any evidence we were supposed to do, or not do, anything.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I just attended a concert and the hostess had hot dogs and toppings and others brought sides. She had different kinds of hot dogs, each in a warmer. They were labeled, and the tofu dogs said "cooked on non-meat grill". I saw lots of non-vegs passing up the brats for tofu dogs.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
They exist so that companies can try and make millions of $$$, sure, it needs the demand to be there in the first place, but neither vegans nor vegetarians actually need these foodstuffs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
becauuussse most veggies didn't become veg because they didn't like meat. If there is a food that can replace the gap that meat left that no animal has to die for, veggies are all for it.

Although personally don't eat them much at all
think most of them have a weird and slightly repulsive soy aftertaste(with the exception of spicy chik'n patties, tofu, and veggie shrimp which manage to not taste that way, haha. My favorites are the ones that aren't trying to replicate meat, bean burgers are the best

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
A non-veggie friend of mine told me about going to her friends house for dinner. The friend was making sausage in the crockpot with peppers and onions. My friend has been on an extremely tight budget and has been eating a lot of veg*n meals because of that but she misses meat and obviously fake meats aren't cheap so she hasn't had any of that either lately. She dabbles in trying fake meats and some of them she likes and some she doesn't. So anyway, when her friend told her what was in the crockpot for dinner my friend said that it sounded good and she hasn't had any real sausage in a long time. Her friend asked her what she meant and she said the last few times she's had sausage it's been veggie sausage but she's been craving meat sausage lately. They sat down for dinner to their sausage with peppers and onions and some steamed veggies and salad. My friend said she was going to get a knife to cut the sausage but then she noticed that when she pushed down with her fork that it cut through easily and she could immediately tell they were veggie sausages. She didn't say anything and her friend was telling her that she buys them in bulk at Costco and she just loves them because they have a lot less fat than any other sausage she's tried and that the flavor is just great.

My friend never told her that they were veggie sausages. She thought it was so hilarious that her friend has been eating them and thinking they are regular meat sausages. My friend doesn't know what brand they are but she's going to go with her to Costco some time in the future when she can afford to and get them too.

So, yeah, I think fake meats are awesome.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Attachment 18403

I got an order from Vegan Essentials today!
Vegan crab cakes, tarter sauce, four kinds of cheese that I can't get around here and hot dogs. Yum!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
LL

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Tried the sheese once, but I didn't like it too much.

Had too strong of a smell and flavor.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts