VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying Weight Watchers again and what I did last time is make a list of meals for every point amount (e.g. five-point breakfasts, 7-point lunches etc) and then just eat off of them. But I am finding that the meals which worked for me last time don't work this time and I feel hungry ALL the time! The only difference is, I am omni when I did this the last time and am vegetarian now (mostly vegan, no milk/cheese/eggs but I don't read labels for trace ingredients). I am trying to follow Dr. Barnard's recommendations for low-fat vegan eating. So, what am I doing wrong? Am I nutritionally deficient in some area and that explains? Am I just not eating enough quantities? Any advice welcome. Here is a typical day for me.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup rolled oats cooked in water, with 1 tbsp sunflower seeds and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce mixed in. 1 cup soy milk on the side.

Lunch: Lentil or split pea soup with frozen potato cubes mixed in. Carrots and raspberries on the side (fruit/veg are unlimited in the new WW plan).

Afternoon snack: 1 cup of grapes and a 100-calorie or so serving of crackers.

Dinner: usually a stir-fry over rice, or vegetables mixed with pasta and tomato sauce.

Evening treat: usually fruit and a light hot chocolate.

So, what am I doing wrong? I find I am usually hungry about an hour after breakfast, sometimes I have a mini box of raisins at 10ish but I don't always get a break. Lunch is usually pretty good, but I am starving by 3:30 and usually when I get home by 5ish I am hungry even after my snack.

If there is something I could tweak to feel less hungry all the time, I'd love it. If I felt more satisfied with my meals, I would find the treats available at work less tempting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm doing Weight Watchers too. How many points do you get? This month they changed the min points from 29 to 26 but I'm staying with 29 so if your still hungry and at the min points try going to 29 and see what happens. Another thing is I add a little fat eather in the morning or mid day. SO I add 1 tbsp of pb to my oatmeal or a bit of sliced olives to my lunch. Even with the extra fat my over all fat is pretty low 20% or less of my total calories usually less. Slso veggies lots and lots of veggies. I try and add them to what ever I'm cooking tu bulk it up or you can do a green smoothie. Barnard, McDougall, Fuhrman, and Esselstyn all say you can have a little fat as long it's from whole foods and not oils. There are a bunch or nice people on the WW veggie board and I'm sure they have better advice then me but I hope this helps.

Audrey

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
For me I get hungry more often when I have too much sugar or processed grains. Your breakfast and lunch would tide me over fine, the afternoon snack would get to me especially if the crackers were not whole grain. The stir fry would be okay for me if it was over brown rice. Ditto with the pasta, though I rarely eat it. Again the evening treat would do me in, too much sugar, I usually have some hot air popcorn with just a very light spraying of oil so the salt sticks if I want a snack.

Try and concentrate on the complex carbs with lots of fiber, it should keep you full longer. YMMV

·
Registered
143 Posts
Doesn't sound like you're getting very much protein going by the day's food you posted. Forget the weight watchers (they go by calories and fat, not overall health of foods) and just focus on eating healthy and eating a variety.

Here's an example of a day's food for me. At the end of the day I'm very satisfied (not hungry) and I've been losing weight despite eating as many calories as I always have (just eating healthier now)

Breakfast:
1cup cooked oatmeal with 1/4cup dried cherries, 1cup unsweetened applesauce and 2Tbsp ground flaxseed.

Snack 1:
4 homemade vegan graham crackers topped with a total of 2Tbsp peanut butter, 1 valencia orange.

Lunch:
1cup pinto beans over 1cup brown rice, 1cup broccoli, 1/2cup green peas, 1 slice homemade vegan cornbread

Snack 2:
1 square vegan dark chocolate, 1/4cup raw pecans, 1 pear

Dinner:
1cup israeli couscous cooked in no salt vegetable broth, 2cups beans (I really love roasting chickpeas), 1cup braised(in earth balance) cabbage

Plus I drink approx a gallon of water, sometimes a little less.

I actually have studied nutrition with a concentration in vegetarian/vegan nutrition so if you want any help feel free to pm me. Just know I only get online once every 3 days or so, so I wouldn't be able to respond back quickly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies! I am on 26 WW points and honestly am finding it very hard. If I was just eating three meals, it would be easy but I think I need to eat more frequently. I just think about food all the time because I feel hungry. What would be some ways to up the protein some without bringing cheese back into it or overdoing the soy?

My boyfriend is also a vegetarian and he is on a very low protein diet because he has kidney disease. We watched Forks Over Knives and they talk about how it's a myth that people in North America need more protein and he keeps pointing this out to me. But I think I do feel better with a little more protein than I am getting. The question is, how to get it without going way over in calories/points or overusing soy or eating dairy...

I do feel like WW is harder as a vegetarian. I am thinking I may try the no-count option where you only count points for things which are not on the list. But then I am not sure how it works with mixed foods. If I make a stir-fry that is just vegetables (which are 'free') and sauce, do I only count points for the sauce?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Its true that you don't need as much protein as many doctors suggest, but you still need it
. I don't use a lot of soy products, but using tofu or tempeh would up yours as would beans (my protein of choice). When it comes to meals, most nutritionists agree that you should eat about every 3 hours. The best way to do this and feel full and optimize weight loss is having three meals plus two snacks every day. Also, my example above didn't show this but its also helpful to make lunch your largest meal of the day instead of dinner.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
This site has a chart that shows how much protein is in a lot of vegan friendly foods

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Ficbot, I am on WW as well. I have been eating an ounce or so of almonds every day (five points, I think) because I find that they just take the edge off when I'm really starving. I stick them in salads as well. Also, do you use the weekly extra points (49 for everybody, I believe)? I have to, or I would be too hungry as well. I am losing weight, but it's coming off kind of slowly. I'm trying to be really patient because I'm hoping this will be the last time I have to "restart" WW. It really is a sensible (at least for me) way to keep weight off if I really stick to the plan. It still lets you indulge; you just have to plan a little better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For protein I agree beans are good. I also really like Seitan because there are a ton of recipes that turn it into everything from pepperoni to italian sausage. When I look at recipes I always skip the oil and they all still turn out fine. In regards to a stir fry or something I'd just cound the sauce if it's veggies ans sauce. Personally I don't cound the veggies in any recipe I'm makeing and it's working out for me. It really helps me bulk up a recipe for free so to speak. I also agree with the previous poster who said eat your biggest meal in the afternoon. I do this and it really helps.

Audrey

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Try a raw food diet for a while. Eating raw for two weeks, back in 2010, i was definitely fuller a lot quicker than usual.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
a spinach shake/smoothie is a good way to get in protein
mix a handful or bunch of spinach in a blender with whatever fruit you like or have (bananas, apples, berries, pineapple, guava etc)

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Doesn't sound like you're getting very much protein going by the day's food you posted. Forget the weight watchers (they go by calories and fat, not overall health of foods) and just focus on eating healthy and eating a variety.
.........because that is how you lose weight.
I guess it can be controversial, but in my opinion (from pure experience) its all about calories in/calories out.
I can eat completely raw and very healthy foods, but if I don't create a caloric deficit I'm not going to lose weight.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point about the water, I am probably not drinking enough.

I can't go raw because I have nut allergies.

Yesterday I totally wrecked my stomach by eating too much veggie tempura at a sushi place. I cannot handle much fried stuff anymore. So today I have still been a little under the weather and have not eaten much. I am making more of an effort to drink water though! I think I will leave the sunflower seeds out of my oatmeal and save them for morning snack on days where I can break at that hour. I am getting protein at breakfast from the soy milk and maybe spacing it out better will help? I also had a veggie chili today for lunch that was a bit denser than the split pea soup and I felt more satisfied. I think I need to do some more reading and really focus on higher quality foods rather than frozen lasagne or something.

I am so grateful for the suggestions and welcome any others.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hate drinking water so add a small splash of sugar-free squash or even orange juice to it. That may help. Oh, and maybe have a water bottle constantly on you, it will encourage you to drink more!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

.........because that is how you lose weight.
I guess it can be controversial, but in my opinion (from pure experience) its all about calories in/calories out.
I can eat completely raw and very healthy foods, but if I don't create a caloric deficit I'm not going to lose weight.
Oops, typo on my part (I do that sometimes when mobile) I meant to write carbs and fat, not calories >_<.
You're mostly right that it's about calories in/calories out, but whereas you're giving the example of raw foods I'll give the example of fast food. When I worked doing nutrition at a gym you wouldn't believe how many people came in spouting that they ate a calorie deficit and weren't losing weight. All it took was a food diary to find out why: they were eating crap. Your body can either store fat or build muscle, and if you eat a crappy diet you can eat a calorie deficit all you want but the sugars are going to store as fat and eventually it will build up to being an issue. Obviously this isn't the case with the op so I didn't bring that up.

Also, the other issue can be that if a person eats too much of a calorie deficit and then when they begin to "not diet" (because too low of a calorie intake is almost always paired with someone short-term dieting not long term eating to live) they gain all the weight back *plus some*.

The key isn't necessarily to eat at a deficit, but to have a deficit at the end of the day due to exercise. Right now with breastfeeding my calories needed to maintain weight and milk supply is 2100 (I normally need 1600 to maintain+500 for breastfeeding). I could eat that 2100 (or more) and still lose weight as long as my diet was full of a variety of healthy food choices and I exerc ised enough to be at a deficit.

Hopefully all of that came out right this time because I'm on the cell again and this new phone makes it a PITA to scroll back up and proofread.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Protein is especially important when you are trying to lose weight, because it takes your stomach longer to process it, which means you feel fuller longer. Try adding some soy milk and soy yogurt to your menu. I know nuts are hard to work in on 26 PP/day, but if you can work them in, those will help too. You do need some healthy fats. I also do not avoid oil -- I get my 2 tsp a day. Getting enough fat is also important to feeling full. The only thing that counts toward the healthy oil GHG is pourable oils from the WW list of healthy oils.

I am a WW Lifetime member, hit goal last September, and went veg shortly thereafter. As long as I choose the right foods, I do not have problems with satisfaction. I am also now a WW receptionist and am loving becoming a resource for other vegetarian members in the meetings I work at.

Weight Watchers does work, even on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Many find they have better success on Simply Filling Technique (which you already mentioned trying) than counting. If you haven't tried SFT yet, do give it a try!
Good luck!

(Also, WW is a lifestyle change and not a diet -- don't be afraid to use the 49 weekly points. They are part of the plan and you will still lose. They are what make it liveable for the long haul.)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
If I ate your plan, I'd be dissatisfied and getting hunger signals due to the lack of green leafy vegetables. Eat more of them.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

If I ate your plan, I'd be dissatisfied and getting hunger signals due to the lack of green leafy vegetables. Eat more of them.
This^^. Salads! And more fruit! Delicious and deals with hunger pangs.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I am not on WW but I second the more protein. If I ate what you do, especially on days when I am active, which is most of them, I'd be starving. More greens and fruit are never a bad idea either. Can you eat quinoa?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.