VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
quite a few of these sroriesare about humans abusing cats... something which i like to think is rare.

but personally i think it's just as abusive to keep an animal trapped up inside at all times.

11,550 Posts
i couldn't get either of the links to open (cruddy laptop, grrr!) but i also feel that the answer to avoiding animal cruelty like this doesn't neccesarily lie in restricting cats to houses.

my cats at home in the UK have all their claws, and happily go out and play in the garden, have learned not to go too far, and to avoid danger, are too lazy to catch birds or mice, and haven't so far (15 years) been horribly mutilated or abused by anyone. they live a comfortable life, in a rural neighbourhood, and are as contented and as safe as anybody is (i could be horribly mutilated by a stranger, so could 2 kids playing in their own backyard- if someone wants to abuse another, they'll find a way).

the cat that lives in the appartment that i'm now in (not mine) has never been outside except in a cat box, and has no claws, so she can't do normal cat things like climb scrabble and kneed. she has also never smelled the breeze while running through cut grass, has never chased a dandelion seed across a lawn, hidden in a hedge and then jumped out on her sisters toes, never climbed a tree, or lain on a rock in the sunshine on a spring morning. she's thoroughly bored and depressed in my opinion, and generally just lies around all day, unenamoured with fake toys, things provided for her to climb on, and catnip. i feel that she's been deprived of something very profound that she'll never really even understand -her freedom- and thats very sad.

should we keep our children locked inside perminantly, too- for their own safety? what about adults, or those who perhaps might not have the intellect, strength or stature to avoid a potential assault or defend themselves against a potential attacker?

i think perhaps we should instead deal with the minority of people who believe its ok to commit crimes against others, and make the outside world safer, instead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To each their own - however, I believe that it is just a matter of time before something happens to any animal "allowed" by guardian/owner or "forced" (lost, stray, feral) to wonder outside among cars, disease, pet theft, animal abuse, predatory animals and so on. There's just too much that could happen and just to note, I would never even think about letting my cats outside unattended. I would have to be insane. I believe that when you welcome an animal into your home and of whom you consider to be family, that you should look after them and provide for them like you would a child. To many people, their pets are their children. Mine are too. I know it sounds silly, but it's true.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

should we keep our children locked inside perminantly, too- for their own safety?
If they're unsupervised, yes.

Quote:
what about adults, or those who perhaps might not have the intellect, strength or stature to avoid a potential assault or defend themselves against a potential attacker?
If they are adults that need special care, then yes, again, unless they're supervised.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
My cats are all strictly indoor, because I live in america and it isn't safe for them to be outdoors, but my understanding is that in england and other countries it is actually much safer to allow your cats out doors than it is here. FIV, busy roads, wild predators, cruel neighbors, etc. just aren't very common.

If I could let my cats outdoors and maintain a reasonable expectation that they wouldn't contract disease, be hit by a car, eaten by a cyote, and maintain a nice healthy lifespan I probably would.

So I agree that in most cases in North America cats need to be kept indoors I don't think there would be anything wrong with making our countries a little more outdoor cat friendly either.

11,550 Posts
my mum lets children play in her backyard, as well as her cats. both know not to go too far, and that cars aren't for playing with. the most predetary animal in my parents neighbourhood is a hedgehog, and there are thankfully no weirdos about that we've met (small community) and not too many people around who are looking to steal a pair of slightly overweight middle aged non pedigree cats. they've had all their vacinations too. i feel that they're relatively safe, and that they're much happier free to be in the fresh air and sunshine than they would be if they weren't allowed out.

but owners, like parents, make their own choices, and do what seems best for their family, so i agree, each to their own.

obviously if i lived right next to a motorway, if my kids/cats were at a heightened risk of disease, if i knew that there were a lot of people in the area who weren't the friendliest, and if cats/kids had demonstrated poor judgment and decision making skills in the past, then letting my cats or kids out unattended would be foolish for me to do. but i don't have these issues, so i'm prepared to balance the -in my case very small- risk of something bad happening to those i care about, with the happiness that their experiences bring and the quality of life that going outside affords them.

if the risk was higher, i'd still probably take them out on a lead though (cats or kids, my mum had me on reigns as a child, lol), or find a way to make a large area of my garden as secure as was possible- to keep them safe, and keep danger out as much as i could. if things were that dangerous where my children or animals were, i'd probably do my damnednest to move, actually. (though i understand that if the whole country i lived in was unsafe, this'd perhaps be tricky, lol!). either way, i'd probably not choose to have cats, if having them meant that i'd need to confine them to the house perminantly- but like we both said, each to their own.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
quite a few of these sroriesare about humans abusing cats... something which i like to think is rare.
An unhappy neighbor traps your cat and brings it to animal control is probably a lot more likely.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My cats are strictly indoors - if they go outside it's on a leash, with me. Like someone else said, they are my children.

I can't tell you how many times I've almost run over a dog or a cat that was running around outside, unleashed and unattended. It really upsets me, because if I ever ran them over I'd cry for hours. Also, most places have leash laws, some even for cats.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

My cats are all strictly indoor, because I live in america and it isn't safe for them to be outdoors, but my understanding is that in england and other countries it is actually much safer to allow your cats out doors than it is here. FIV, busy roads, wild predators, cruel neighbors, etc. just aren't very common.

If I could let my cats outdoors and maintain a reasonable expectation that they wouldn't contract disease, be hit by a car, eaten by a cyote, and maintain a nice healthy lifespan I probably would.

So I agree that in most cases in North America cats need to be kept indoors I don't think there would be anything wrong with making our countries a little more outdoor cat friendly either.
Exactly. We've had the outside/inside debate before and I had to conclude that if the conditions are safe enough then cats should be allowed out (with siutable vaccinations etc) but if it's not safe then they should be kept in (with suitable entertainment).

My Pan has a cat door and is able to go in and out as she pleases. I live in NZ and I'm pretty happy that she's safe. I understand that there's some risk but I think it's minimal and the value I place on her freedom outweighs that for me.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I would also like to point out that I love Pan like a child. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I didn't love her as much because I let her out.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you have a house, a cat walk is a really good fairly inexpensive addition for a DYI. It is a small screened in porch exclusively for cats, generally accessable from an opened window or cat door. Cat leads and outdoor portable cat walks are a good choice for people who dont have houses they can add on to. There are also mountable cage-perches for cats.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Ok I've heard this many times before.

Then Yes I would never ever let my cat outdoors and I've never heard of inside cats replies follow.

For once and all, IT reall;y depends on the location!!!..

The indoor/outside cats issue along with being an opinion issue is also a location issue.

It seems people who make these blanket statements look at their local situation and then apply it to the whole world even if the same conditions do not exist. Don't assume becaue YOU live in a dangerious neighborhood and can never let your cat out, everyone in the world lives the same way.

It's like someone saying, I'd never walk around after dark, IT"S far too dangerious and I've heard of people getting mugged. THEREFORE nobody should ever walk around after dark.

Then I'll say no that's no true, I walk around after dark and I feel safe.

Who is right? nether of us becvause we live in different locations and therefore different safety recomondations apply.

Hopefully I have cleared this issue up nicely.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
where did I put that hot-button smilie...?

this will have to do for now...

as others have said, the location has a lot to do with an individual's decision regarding what is right for their companion animals. Thank you for your concern, but my cats are just fine on my dead-end bumpy (slow) country lane. My TWO neighbors feel the same way...

·
Registered
491 Posts
i have had this conversation with my mother in law many times. her own cat was hit by a car and she still insists that we let our cats outdoors. i keep saying NO, even after a dead racoon was found not 100ft form the front door. i have worked and volunteered at our local humane society and i have seen the results of what some people will do to cats. she just cant respect our choices on our diets, pets anything.

geesh... sorry for the rant. touchey subject...

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
which is better, a long life confined inside four walls?

or a shorter, riskier, more adventurous life free to roam and hunt and scrap with other cats?

It seems self evident to me... YMMV...

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
depends on how busy the street is, and how far your cats roam.

In my case, the main road is about 3/4 mile away. Our little country lane gets very little traffic, and since it's VERY bumpy, the cars are forced to drive very slowly.

my cats are spayed females, so they don't roam far.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

which is better, a long life confined inside four walls?

or a shorter, riskier, more adventurous life free to roam and hunt and scrap with other cats?

It seems self evident to me... YMMV...
Can't answer that without location. Basic answer?.

Urban locations= Definatly the first.

Rural locations= Depends on your veiwpoint about outside cats.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.