VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first punk rock show a couple weeks ago then went to a show with a death metal band, all they did was scream. It was cool. I think I'm turning into a punk fan.

Does anyone here listen to Propagandhi?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
oh propagandhi. my very favourite band.

i saw them a few times and i recently saw the weakerthans whom ex propaghani member john samson is a member of now.

whew.

todays empires tommorows ashes. yeah!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I like punk music. I wouldn't call myself a punk, though.

Like HCS, I'm mainly into the old stuff - The Clash, The Pistols, The Damned, Gang of Four, The Buzzcocks, etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Erm. I am a pretty big punk fan. I wouldn't consider myself a punk either...

My favorite punk bands now are Rufio, Finch, Something Corporate, and The Used. I am not in tune to punk as much as I am to other genres. But I do like it a lot.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Gazumper

I'm mainly into the old stuff - The Clash, The Pistols, The Damned, Gang of Four, The Buzzcocks, etc. [/B]
I really like The Clash... shame about Strummer. The Pistols began the movement that rescued us from disco... you gotta respect the band that did that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself a punk, but I have always listened to punk/hard-core:

Dead Kennedys

Black Flag

Clash

Sex Pistols

Plasmatics

Circle Jerks

Exploited

Murphys Law

Cro-Mags

7 Seconds

Sick of It All...

and many many others like them

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I haven't listened to Propagandhi in about 10 years. I haven't been to a show in a few years, since becoming a mommy, but the warehouse where I use to live we had shows just about every night. Most of the music I listen to is more obscure, undergroung punk. I have a huge crate full of old vinyl and 7"s. If you're interested, I could tell you some good bands to check out-

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FafaFrappy

Finch, Something Corporate, and The Used.
*Music Police Sirens*

If we MUST get into the labeling of music genres (music is music is music... WHY must there be labels for everything?
) These 3 bands would fall under the 'Emo' catagory- not Punk Rock (which in my opinion has turned into a horrid mess in comparison to when it first came out in the 80's).

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stellar26

[BThese 3 bands would fall under the 'Emo' catagory- not Punk Rock (which in my opinion has turned into a horrid mess in comparison to when it first came out in the 80's). [/B]
I'm so sick of what has happened to emo... I miss Sunny Day too much to listen to emo, now, most of which is scream-o, not emo. I think the screawm-o bands have a lot to do with the blur between post-post-punk and emo that you find nowadays...

The Used and S.Corp. are cool, though.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

I think the scream-o bands have a lot to do with the blur between post-post-punk and emo that you find nowadays...

The Used and S.Corp. are cool, though.
I partially agree with you- though there was some "Scream-o" in the 90's. Think "I Hate Myself" and their song "Less than Nothing" (one of my personal favorite songs, ever). I think they'd fit the description of 'Scream-o".

I agree. The Used is a decent band whom I occasionally enjoy listening to. Something Corperate is very mediocre. Andrew McMahon's (the lead singer) voice is just.. too.. whiney and it sounds as though he's singing through his nose. I do think he's an alright songwriter, though.

lol

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
The scream-o crap that is out now bothers me for two reasons: (A) it's not very good; and (2) it makes me wonder if I'm just hitting the Abe Simpson turning point: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't

it, and what's it seems weird and scary."

But I'm listening to The Skatalites right now, and they're always it

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love "My pants are falling down" by Diesel boy

I think of it every time my stomach makes funny sounds. lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

*Music Police Sirens*

If we MUST get into the labeling of music genres (music is music is music... WHY must there be labels for everything?
) These 3 bands would fall under the 'Emo' catagory- not Punk Rock (which in my opinion has turned into a horrid mess in comparison to when it first came out in the 80's).
I wouldn't even call them emo. That term has become so bastardized and meaningless; none of these bands nowadays sound anything like the bands from the late 80's/early 90's, before people "brilliantly" labeled the genre emo (as if other genres of music are less emotional).

Anyways, yeah I like Propagandhi and I like punk, and like "emo," that label is getting thrown around a little too easily these days. It's disgusting, the sh*t that passes as punk now. Thankfully there's better bands that are starting to get some attention that'll maybe show kids that punk is more than this pop rock sh*t they play on MTV.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

These 3 bands would fall under the 'Emo' catagory- not Punk Rock (which in my opinion has turned into a horrid mess in comparison to when it first came out in the 80's).
Guess what! I don't care! I hate labels, and I don't really listen to what is considered Emo (from Emo fans I know). And like I said, I am not really in tune to the whole "scene."

I don't like saying I listen to a particular music, because I don't. And I don't care what it is as long as I like it.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Frappers, Stellar was saying "IF she must catagorize" ...not that she likes to!...
So Punk lets try to stay blurry!...and get our facts distorted but distinct at the same time!!...
Keep it real punks!! (j/k).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts