VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually avoid eating pasta because I'm afraid of gaining weight. However, I do eat whole weat pasta but once in a while, I would like to eat it more often but I don't know how much is too much. I've read that you can eat all you want and not gain weight as long as it's whole weat, but for some reason I find that hard to believe. Is it okay to eat it every day? I'm confused about the whole pasta thing, help!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I don't know if buy the whole, eat all you want and not gain weight claim. I don't doubt whole wheat is better than regular pasta. I eat whole wheat pasta 3-4 times a week, some weeks. If it's balanced in with the rest of the day's diet it shouldn't hurt. Calories are calories when all is said and done. Plus, keep in mind a serving size is about a cup, which isn't much. Try and find the whole wheat versions that are high in fiber and protein.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Eating pasta frequently by itself won't cause you to gain weight. Overeating and under exercising will cause weight gain regardless of what you're eating.

Whole wheat is more filling than white because it tends to have more fiber and protein but thats the only way I could see it being better solely for weight management purposes (though it is healthier).

If you like pasta, eat pasta. Eat reasonable portions, don't drown it in high calorie sauces/toppings regularly (cheese, cream sauce, butter, oil, etc.) and try to balance your eating for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
For pasta shapes - 3/4 cup DRY is a serving. First time you measure, it'll seem ridiculously small, but you'll get used to it, and it IS enough. Other whole grain pastas are delicious as well - not just whole wheat. I really like flax and kamut...mmm.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pasta doesn't make you gain weight. Too many calories and not enough exercise make you gain weight. Whole grain foods are better for you because they have more fiber and nutrients; the calorie content is basically the same.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with the previous posters. Another benefit to whole grain pastas -- besides the fiber and nutritional value -- is that whole grains don't get absorbed into your system and break down into sugar immediately like white flour pastas. There are so many new whole grain pastas out there. Just make sure you're eating a balanced diet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts