VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to the store I always shop at. Unfortunately they sell live lobsters. This always upsets me but today I was just horrified because they have the tank absolutely paked. There is no room for movement whatsoever. I took a picture of the tank and now I would like to write to someone who may do something about it. Who would you write to? The store manager? Politicians who I know supported some animal rights issues?

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

I just went to the store I always shop at. Unfortunately they sell live lobsters. This always upsets me but today I was just horrified because they have the tank absolutely paked. There is no room for movement whatsoever. I took a picture of the tank and now I would like to write to someone who may do something about it. Who would you write to? The store manager? Politicians who I know supported some animal rights issues?
I would talk to the store manager, in person, and also compose a letter and mail that to the store manager as well. Is this a local store, or a large chain?

I know during Thanksgiving they took away 4ft of vegetarian frozen food to put 'Young turkeys' complained about how borderline twisted it was that they take away vegetarian space, and put in it's place sad young little birds, and the next day they had moved the turkeys else where and all my gardein products were exactly where they should be.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a large chain store, Loblaws, maybe you know them. Well I am glad it worked with the turkeys, maybe it will be possible to do something about lobsters

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

It is a large chain store, Loblaws, maybe you know them. Well I am glad it worked with the turkeys, maybe it will be possible to do something about lobsters
I hope so
At a grocery I used to go with a lobster tank, it always made me sad when I was little. I don't know who you would go to after the Store Manager in that situation, probably the district manager.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Unfortunately, the most they'll probably do if they're contacted about it is apologize for the inconvenience and move the tank to behind the seafood counter where people have a harder time seeing it. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with a local grocery store I've been going to since I was little.

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
When I was little, I thought those tanks were like fishtanks, and kept wondering why every time I went to the store there was a different number of lobsters (or sometimes none), and why the colored rubberbands changed on the ones in there from last time.
I would name them, too.

You could send it to the manager and the higher up management of the chain, but chances are they either won't do anything, or if the lobsters sell at a fast rate, just shrug it off because the more lobsters they have, the more money they make, and 'why keep 5 lobsters when they have 'room' for 20 or more?'
It would not hurt to send a letter anyway, though. Who knows, maybe they will do something to change it. You never know. You can also post the picture and a note like what you said here on a vegan/animal rights/welfare Facebook group or something and ask for others to send letters.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:

You could write a letter to your local newspaper...

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turkeys? I don't remember being involved in turkey issues.What was it about?

I sent the email recently. Both telling how much I like Loblaws in general and am thankful for many vegan options they offer, and also telling my concerns about the tank. I hope they won't just hide it from the public eye. If they do, or anything I will write to the councilor. Maybe I should write to him anyways. He said that the recent ban of pet stores supporting breeders came because of one email sent by someone. so maybe lobsters can get banned too! just will need to work on the letter more to make it sound more intellectual lol

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:

Turkeys? I don't remember being involved in turkey issues.What was it about?

I sent the email recently. Both telling how much I like Loblaws in general and am thankful for many vegan options they offer, and also telling my concerns about the tank. I hope they won't just hide it from the public eye. If they do, or anything I will write to the councilor. Maybe I should write to him anyways. He said that the recent ban of pet stores supporting breeders came because of one email sent by someone. so maybe lobsters can get banned too! just will need to work on the letter more to make it sound more intellectual lol
Good job!

I hope they don't simply hide it, that would really suck. Although when you think about it, the entirety of the meat industry is basically comparable to that hidden lobster tank. All of it is simply kept from public eye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.