VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently recieved membership expiration notices from PETA and EarthSave, but am wondering if there isn't another organization i should consider giving money to.

PETA seems to get plenty of money, and although they get plenty of media attention, i'm not confident they are all that effective in generating anything other than negative reactions.

Earthsave has a good message, and avoids much of the negativity that peta evokes, but i'm not sure how effective they are at...well...anything.

If people have already gone through this decision making process of where your money is most effectively used, i'd appreciate your input or maybe even a 'sell' on your favorite organization.

I'm thinking of giving to maybe 2 "ethical food choices" organizations, and am considering maybe the organic consumers association.

And also giving to maybe 2 environmental organizations, but there are so many of those i don't even know where to begin. What's priority? reducing emissions, alternative energy development, stopping offshore oil drilling, global warming education? I don't know.

I posted this in the vegan section because i thought it might provide me with a more focussed response from possibly better-informed population, but lemme know if it needs to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well if you're looking to give money to an animal organization (ike a shelter). You could give money to me and my mom's Blind Cat Rescue and Sanctuary ( Blindcatrescue.com ). We take-in blind cats that are in high kill shelters (or from people who would've taken them to high kill shelters) and keep them in a loving enviroment forever. We are in the process of building our 2nd cat house and are looking for donations (or sponsors) to help pay for it. If you want to give money to a good cause, I can assure you, ous is a good one. Every dime goes to the kitties.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hiya Romac, great points. It's hard to know who'll make the best use of your $$. I volunteered at [high profile animal rescue organization] and was appalled at where donations would go: jazzy office furniture, laptop computers for all the execs (who wouldn't know how to turn one on), and wage increases. Meanwhile the dog runs haven't been touched since 1967.

Anyway, my point is that we should all become intimately familiar with those who get our well-intended green. I came to a crossroads like you, and my new stance is not to give money to any of the major charities. Instead I'll find some person who has her hands full with rescued cats (see summerloco's post above). Or there's no law that says you can't put the money in a jar and use it to rescue an animal yourself one day.

But enough about animal rescue. I agree that if your sights are on global environmental issues, there's not much you can do with a jar full of change. Unfortunately I can't help you there, because I'm not familiar with that side. But it's my gut instinct to say that--much like religion--any noble effort that becomes an institution is liable to take on questionable practices. Maybe you could do like I did; volunteer at your favourite charity, and then you'll know if it's a good fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts