Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ICKIE, none of these!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk about falafels and now eggplant. Do you really eat it? Do you regularly buy it? What ever happened to tofu as the brave new vegan golden child of the grocery aisle?

Im curious, occasional treats aside, which are you most likely to serve when there is so much you can do with tofu?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I never could get into cooking eggplant -- whatever I do to it, it never is as appetizing as if someone else does it. And, falafel I love as long as I don't have to fry it myself. So, I'm definitely more likely to serve the old standard - TOFU.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i eat (and enjoy) all of those options!

you are absolutely right that there is so much you can do with tofu, but there is also so much that you can do with legumes in general. using chickpeas to make falafel is but one example.

yes, tofu is great, but i also try my best to keep my diet as versatile as possible, ensuring that i get my nutrients from a variety of foods, and that i don't burn out on any one food.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'm the anti-tofu vegan
although I have been considering its use in "creamy" sauces for some time.

I want to try falafel, I just haven't gotten round to it yet. I love chick peas.

As for eggplant ... yum! I've never cooked it vegan-style yet, but I've been a-hankerin' for it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Watch out, I haven't actually tried this yet. This is a vegan modification of a recipe that I used to make as a kid (learned from an Iranian) which was based on chicken and chicken stock.

Tomato paste

Fresh diced tomatoes

Eggplant that has been sliced, salted, sat for an hour, rinsed, then diced

Chick peas

Onions

Garlic

Cinnamon

Nutmeg

Bay leaf

Saffron

Salt 'n' pepper, of course

Serve over rice

I guess as a substitute for the chicken broth, use veggie bouillon cubes, or just extra onion powder and garlic powder ....? Personally I wouldn't bother to substitute the chicken meat, but if you like tofu you could use that. (Hey, cool, then it would include ALL of the "weird" vegan ingredients!!
)

I may be missing some ingredients, I haven't made this recipe in about 20 years.
I have to experiment still. But I couldn't resist posting it, since it has two (or three) of the foods you mentioned.... Shoot, I should've played around with it and then saved it for the next recipe club!!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I eat and enjoy all these options! I didn't vote, cuz I didn't have the option of "all of the above"! I love falafel, I love tofu, I love eggplant. I also love tempeh, seitan, tvp, mung beans, lentils, brown basmati, and just about every other "weird" vegetarian food around!

"Weird"? not at all! I eat this stuff on a daily basis!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come on Randy, take a clue from Roy Disney, make a choice, I "don't mind".

All of it daily? You really are good. hehe, strict almost

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
We eat them all at my house, especially the eggplant. In fact, I'm making ratatouille this week and we have roasted veggies that include eggplant, among other things, every few weeks.

Standard falafel is an occasional treat because of the high fat content, but the Fantastic Foods boxed variety, baked not fried, is a weekly occurrence too.

We eat tofu about once a week. Mr. Quizeen favors his "disguised" as a sauce or as "egg" salad, but I'm such a freak I'll darn near drain it and take a bite. I luvs me the tofu.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Is it possible to use checkboxes with these polls? Because I love falafel (if it's good falafel) and tofu, and I didn't like having to make a radio button choice between them. *pouts*

Eggplant, I can take or leave. I am never inspired to cook it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I love all three.

Tofu - Notorious for its bland taste (it works so best due to its ability as a sponge for the flavours that surround it) straight out of the packet. I'm possibly the only person alive who find a real perverse enjoyment out of the nothingness of its natural taste. Check out the smoked versions, they rock.

Falafel - Yum, Yum, Yum. I was first introduced to falafel (and hummus, pita bread, baba ganoush and baklava) at a Lebanese restaurant I'm sure was called Beirut on 34th and (I think) 5th in Manhattan back in the mid 80's.

Eggplant (aka Aubergine) - Love this too. Baba Ganoush, Ratatuille, stuffed, etc, yumcity.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I eat them all. I checked "eggplant" because I have it more frequently than the others. I like falafel, but haven't tried making it yet...although I plan on trying the recipe Loki posted when I cook tomorrow!

I don't do too much with tofu - I like it in oriental cooking, but I don't do the "use your old recipes and substitute tofu for meat" thing. For example, my vegan spaghetti sauce is all about mushrooms and onions and peppers - doesn't need anything else!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I haven't eat falafel, but I wanted to eat this soon.

Eggplant? Never heard of it, but maybe it has got an other name in the netherlands.

Tofu: I am a vegan and I have eaten it twice.

·
Registered
739 Posts
TOFU! By itself I don't eat it much, but I couldn't live without it. I use it in my breads and pies (mmm....chocolate silk....pumpkin
), it's the cheese in my lasagne, the creamy in my smoothies, etc... It's just so darn versitile!

As for eggplant...BLEAH! Maybe I've just never had it fixed up right, but it's just like eating a dish sponge in my opinion.

Falafel I like, but you can only enjoy it so many ways. Not like tofu.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've actually cut way back on my tofu intake, mainly because I consume so many other soy-based products, like soymilk.

I only have eggplant a few times a year, mainly because I suck at preparing it. I'll eat it when I'm out, and and my wife and I have a recipe that involved frying it, so that works out.

Falafel I have once or twice a month, maybe a little less often than I cook tofu. I love falafel. I just hate cooking.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts