VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here into dancing, by this I mean more than just shakin your booty at the bar on Friday night.

Anyone take lessons or dance professionally? I would love to learn to swing and ballroom dance, but I have two left feet.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
In college I was on the swing dancing performance team as well as the ballroom performance team. It was tons of fun.

Since I graduated, I have not been dancing though. I got kind of burnt out because my friends and I would go dancing every single night between practice and swing nights at various places.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it hard to learn from scratch?

Where in the world can you go dancing? I can't think of any place in Winnipeg where you can go ballroom or swing dancing on a regular basis. They have a big expensive gala dinner with a big band once a year.

The university of Manitoba does have a swing dance club that I want to join, but I really don't know where you can go on a whim and dance.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I didn't have trouble learning from scracth, but thats because I went all the time and all my friends eventually ended up being other people on the performance teams. If you go once a week, its really hard to improve.

Where did we go...hmmm. Well, we all met through a swing and ballroom dance club at my college. The club met once a week. The perfomrance teams each met once a week so thats up to three days a week. Downtown every other friday they had big band night at the rec center so we would go there. A club downtown had swing night every Wed evening (they ended up shutting down though). Saturday night if there wasn't any dancing going on somebody would have a party and we would go to their apartment and dance. Now one of my best friends has his own swing club which meets another night of the week.

All this was gradual though. When I first started, I only went once a week and didn't know many people in the club. It wasn't as much fun then. I also didn't know about all these oppurtunities to dance. But I stuck with it and the more you do it, the more people you will meet who are into it to and thus the more oppurtunities you see out there.

I would say join the club at the u of Manitoba and if there are oppurtunties around town, I'm sure somebody there will know of them.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I've taken a lot of dance lessons and love to dance. Swing dancing is my favorite. I learned to swing dance from friends while in college. It's easy to learn and so much fun! And you never stop learning new moves. In addition to swing and lindy hop, I know the basic steps for most ballroom dances and most latin dances. www.dancetheniteaway.com is the place I go to locally to learn new moves and dance with others. But I haven't been out dancing in a long time. I wish I had friends who like to dance because it's more fun going with people you know.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I've had a couple of basic lessons in swing dancing, and at present I really haven't progressed to the point where I really enjoy it. I've also done some country line dancing, which can be great fun!

My all-time favorite dancing style is Jewish worship dancing. I can dance all night if you put me in a room full of my favorite dancing-companions. One of the best parts about Jewish worship dancing is that the dance is done as a group, sometimes in a circle holding hands, sometimes not. It is both community- and individual- oriented.

·
Banned
559 Posts
i detest dancing. i can't deny it. i did the ballet thing for a while but would never even think about getting back into that.

if i werent' so scared of looking like a fool, i'd gladly um do the club crap - for the sole reason of loving the music. but i know thats not what you are talking about. dancing is just something that doenst impress me at all.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

Swing dancing is my favorite. I learned to swing dance from friends while in college. It's easy to learn and so much fun!
I wanna go! That's yet *another* thing I want to learn before I get too damn old to do it. I would love to learn swing dance. I think I'd be okay at it. I'm sorta short though, does that matter, or does it depend on the partner?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ahh! Thanks, Captain S. It looks so darn fun. I think I could handle it; I have my endurance built up pretty good from running, so I don't think I'd burn out too quickly. I'd love to do those lifts, twists and all that! It looks hard though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've always wanted to take dance lessons- Swing or ballroom- or something fun- the ladies I date are no fun- and dancing alone is like masturbation!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That's my problem too, Vegan Cannibal! I don't know any men who want to or know how to swing dance. So I guess most people meet partners at lessons??? that's what I'm thinking. Maybe if I get myself signed up for some classes, I'll find out! Plus, they'd have to tell me where to go for this kind of dancing! I know some places have swing night.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Yep. I started going to those club meetings alone. After a couple of years, I had no shortage of dance partners.
At first I do admit it was a little frustrating, but you just have to show your face and people will get to know you that you are serroius about it after awhile.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Oh, Gazumpy!

I've danced nearly all my life, beginning at age 3. Ballet, some jazz, and modern. I danced with a professional company until I took a mental health break, and now I'm back to dancing, sometimes a few hours a day, gradually moving back up to intensive training. I'm auditioning for some big things this summer.

Ballet, and, specifically, ballet en pointe, is what I consider the most elegant, rewarding, and demanding form of dance. I've studied mostly the French method, but have had experience in the Villanova and Balanchine methods. In fact, my current dance professor mostly teaches Balanchine.

I'm rambling now. ^_^;;

ETA: I should note that I'm bumping this one because I want to see if we have any new members who dance. So show yourselves!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I dance!

I primarily do tap, but I also do jazz, and when I can I squeeze in some ballet, though that has become less and less possible since I started teaching.
It's no great loss to society, though -- I never really excelled at ballet. I'm not built for it.

As far as social dance, I did swing dancing for a while with some friends, but that was years ago. There's a salsa club near where I live that I've been meaning to go to... I've never done it. Most of my friends who go dancing with me are afraid of downtown, though. Wimps.
I'll get them to break down soon enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.