VeggieBoards banner

who has the Happy Herbivore cookbook by Lindsay Nixon?

3K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Doktormartini 
#1 ·
I've made three things since I bought it yesterday: the chocolate chip cookies last night, and the kale and yam soup (I used sweet potatoes and frozen collard greens) This is an excellent soup! And then the apple crisp muffins.....also very good!

what have you made so far?

I like that she uses low/no fat recipes, and whole wheat pastry flour in her baked goods, which I do anyway.

as I just finished up a bowl of that soup....I realize I put tooo many pepper flakes in. I didn't measure them. My hubby will like it alot, but that was a little warm! oh, and I ate 3 muffins! She has the nutritional values for each recipe, which is nice.

#27 ·
sensitive....that's all.....

funny how some things can bother one person, and not another....I wouldn't have even taken a second look at those words, and at 1 am, grab the cookbook to see what you were talking about, because I didn't remember reading it. Oh well!

#29 ·
So I"m gonna make some recipes from this book on Sunday night, Monday, and Tuesday. I'm hoping to make the omelet, African kale and yam soup, spicy greens, and the chocolate chip cookies. I'm gonna experiment with the cookies and try them gluten free and see how they come out.

I can't wait. All the pictures in this book look amazing!!! I'll tell you all how these recipes turn out

#30 ·
you're going to love the soup! Just know ahead of time, that the choc chip cookies are more cake like, becuase they're made of applesauce. These are no way like Toll House cookies, but at least they're fat free! They're very soft

#31 ·
Made them. They're pretty good. I'll probably make them again! I don't think I cooked them long enough lol. I'm making the soup tomorrow night and will tell you how it turns out.

#32 ·
I don't think I baked mine long enough either. Next time will be on a Silpat too. they all scrunched up using a spatula to move them off the baking stones. Still tasted good though!

I just made the baked falafel for my dinner at wk. They taste really good too!

#33 ·
I haven't had much luck with Happy Herbivore, I hated the black bean brownies, but I've eyed that apple crisp recipe, I've just been very hesitant to try anything else from that book since the first four things I tried didn't turn out well. But I'll feel better trying them knowing other posters have had luck.

#34 ·
what else did you make?

#36 ·
hmmm....I found a perfect cinnamon roll recipe on line so probably wouldn't make a different recipe, and you're right, it has to raise. havne't tried the black bean wraps or cabbage.

#38 ·
I made the omelet. It was really good, but more like a quiche than an omelet. Would definitely make it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.