VeggieBoards banner

who has the Happy Herbivore cookbook by Lindsay Nixon?

3K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Doktormartini 
#1 ·
I've made three things since I bought it yesterday: the chocolate chip cookies last night, and the kale and yam soup (I used sweet potatoes and frozen collard greens) This is an excellent soup! And then the apple crisp muffins.....also very good!

what have you made so far?

I like that she uses low/no fat recipes, and whole wheat pastry flour in her baked goods, which I do anyway.

as I just finished up a bowl of that soup....I realize I put tooo many pepper flakes in. I didn't measure them. My hubby will like it alot, but that was a little warm! oh, and I ate 3 muffins! She has the nutritional values for each recipe, which is nice.

#3 ·
Yeah saw it at the store once and I want it. It has lots of pictures which is nice. I take it you like it so far?

ETA: I just ordered this book off Amazon now thanks to this thread lol. I'm hoping the recipes are easy for substitutions. Particularly the baking ones as I've been experimenting with gluten free for awhile now.

#4 ·
Wow!!!
Look at the rating ratios for this product on Amazon.com! This is very unusual:
5 star: 119
4 star: 7
3 star: 2
2 star: 1
1 star: 2

I've adding it to my "cart" so I won't forget about it, but I don't have enough money to buy it right now.

#6 ·
I love the kale and yam soup *collards and sweet potatoes for me though*, the choc chip cookies were really soft, because she uses almost or no oil in all of her recipes, adn uses applesauce. I really like the apple crisp muffins- they're really good. Going to try some more tomorrow.

#7 ·
I'm not anti fat lol but these recipes seem like they'd be good.

#8 ·
Score! try the dijon herb green beans on pg 197! I doubled the recipe to use a whole frozen package of whole green beans, and I added my frozen equiv of a can of white beans in for some protein, all over mashed potatoes! yummy. ( she had a recommendation of topping with chickpeas on top of and around the green beans.

#9 ·
I do! It's my first vegan cookbook, and I also love the low/no fat emphasis. All the pictures and nutritional info are also extremely nice. So far I've made the sweet potato home fries(page 33), channa palak masala(page 77), pumpkin bread(page 52), and the low-country cucumber salad(186). I used yams instead of sweet potatoes for the fries and granny smith apples. I loved the combo of apples and yams, which I never would have thought about combining on my own. The channa palak masala was extremely good. I'll definitely be making it many times in the future. I made the pumpkin bread last night, and it was just okay out of the oven, but after a day it the refrigerator the flavor really developed. The low-country cucumber salad is basically spicy pickles, which add a nice kick to sandwiches or on the side of meals.

I've got so many of the recipes flagged in my book, but I'm really looking forward to trying some of the "cheese" sauces/dips when I get my hands on some nutritional yeast. The apple crisp muffins, carrot soup, and curried sweet potato(or yam) soup are others I'm also looking forward to trying.

#10 ·
thanks for your recommendations. I'm def making the pumpkin bread today, and maybe I'll make the indian dish you recommended. You'll prob definately like the yam and kale soup and the apple crisp muffins (I got 16 out of the recipe though, not 12)

#11 ·
just made the yellow Dal, with yellow split peas, and put it over rice....that was really good too, although mine needed about 40 minutes cooking time, the 30 wasn't enough for the split peas to get soft. The hubbs will like that when he gets home tonight.

#12 ·
cook for me plz haha. Actually, I cook a lot and love it as well. I can't wait my copy should be coming soon. Hopefully it will come tomorrow if not I have to wait until Monday. I ordered a couple other things as well hope that doesn't make it take longer!

#13 ·
very good!

#15 ·
have fun!

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I've adding it to my "cart" so I won't forget about it, but I don't have enough money to buy it right now.
I usually get cookbooks out of the library, and buy it if it's really good. I seldom use some of the books I have. By the way, your fennec fox avatar is cute!

Jess, are the recipes in this book complicated? I'm not one for fussing much in the kitchen, although I cook most of my food- most restaurant food is too salty or fatty or both.

#18 ·
tom- no way! She uses ingredients that are easily found in the avg kitchen. for her baked goods, she uses applesauce. Actually I haven't found a recipe yet that uses oil in it. She sautes onions and/or veggies in water, instead. She does use spray oil for oiling pans, but that's it. also she doesn't recommend a specific amt of salt in any recipe, just states "to taste", so you're totally in control.

I just made the pumpkin bread, and that's really good when it was still warm, and she says it tastes even better the next day. We didn't wait that long!
Also made the chili sans carne, which uses TVP. Hubby liked it alot- ate it with the bread.......very good lunch.

So far, I've made like 7-8 things, and I'd make them all again.

#19 ·
I just got this last week, I loved all the pictures and the recipes sounded really good. Unfortunately I've been disappointed with what I've made so far. I threw out the black bean brownies they had a weird taste (maybe my bananas were Too ripe?) and I didn't like the single serve brownie either & I was really hoping to love it. The cornbread I didn't like by itself but was ok with blackeyed peas over it. I made the cinnamon banana toast crunch this morn & while it was good it was really sweet but I've been using sugarfree syrup lately so pure maple syrup was super sweet to me. The fettuccinni Alfredo was awesome after I adjusted the seasonings. I'm not ready to give up on this cookbook yet, I'm really wanting to make those cheese sauces and the burrito recipes. That pumpkin cheesecake looks awesome & the pumpkin bread too so maybe I'll try those next.

#20 ·
i have to be honest and say I'll probably NEVER make black bean brownies again after my one and only attempt with an internet recipe that was BAD! Sorry you haven't been thrilled with them.

This cookbook is definately low fat, but not necessarily low sugar- by far! I'm kind of surprised too, but the sweets are an only occasional thing anyway. Keep posting what you make too!

#21 ·
Much better luck with the loaded nachos & the nacho cheese sauce even tho it called for yellow miso & all I had was white, still turned out delish!
Just got thru making the apple crisp muffins - yum! It called for 1-1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour but I only had 1/2c left & had to use regular whole wheat flour for the rest but they still turned out great! Will definitely be making these again!

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacydan View Post

Much better luck with the loaded nachos & the nacho cheese sauce even tho it called for yellow miso & all I had was white, still turned out delish!
Just got thru making the apple crisp muffins - yum! It called for 1-1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour but I only had 1/2c left & had to use regular whole wheat flour for the rest but they still turned out great! Will definitely be making these again!
I'm so glad you mentioned the miso! I was really disappointed to see so many recipes calling for that ingredient. I can order red and white miso online but couldn't find yellow anywhere! I was wondering what I could sub it for. I will try the white now that you said it turned out fine.

#23 ·
Yay my book(s) came today. I'm flipping through it now and everything looks amazing. Come on, a vegan omelet!!!

#25 ·
where, and in what context?
I'll have to look for it......ok, she uses the word meat as in "meat substitutes (also called meat analogues, meat replacements, or mock meats, See Vegan Meats in glossery), and in the definition of a typical omelet., and the phrase vegetarian meats later in the same paragraph. Then I found a description of "meaty burger" and a list of ingredients in a non-veg chimichanga.....

IDK....I don't take issue with it. She's not glorifying the word or using it excessively. She's writing the cookbook as if it were being used by a brand new veg person. I can totally see the why's behind comparing omni foods and how the veg foods are different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.