VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im am new at veganism 4 weeks in counting. ever sence then a lot of my friends. pretty much all my male friends look at me as a pussy. mainly becouse i am a guy and veganism is for girls. i face this a lot. i dont let it get to me tomuch but it is annoying. any one in hear face problems from friends or hardcore meat eaters?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
{{{hugs}}} we all deal with this from people no matter how long we have been vegetarian...I try to politely explain, then ignore it..they are the wierd one, eating living, breathing things...

·
Registered
92 Posts
FYI- all the hot sexy woman of the world are vegan also- just tellyour friends you're in it for the ladies

I get a razzed a bit to- just don't take it serious- it's not your friends fault they are ignorant

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
It will get better. At first my family and some friends thought it was totally weird for me to be vegan...I spent last summer with my parents while I was moving from one part of the country to another. At first they were really worried about it and what I would eat. But I proved to them that I could eat just fine, even in Ripley Mississippi without making a big stink. Now everyone simply accepts I'm vegetarian and always make sure to ask if I can eat certain things at special get togethers. They'll get used to it, don't worry.

B

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I always think it's tough being vegetarian and male, mainly because vegetarianism is viewed as somehting feminine. I'm vegetarian and male myself, and for the first few years, I didn't feel all that comfortable being vegetarian until I found out that there are other male vegetarians out there.

I don't actually get looked down upon in my group of friends because of my vegetarianism. I get looked down upon because I keep telling sick and disgusting jokes, and I use words that are blatantly politically incorrect as standard!!! But not for being veggie.

But I wish there were more vegetarian guys out there. But there are plenty of famous veggie guys. Paul McCartney being one of them! he was one of the first vegetarians i heard of, so it was good for me as I was starting out that I knew it wasn't just women who were vegetarian, but as a 12 year old male vegetarian, I felt alone, and kinda weird. However, six years on, and I'm happy with being vegetarian. I've found my own niché in being the weird guy.

I hope your friends coem round. I must admit myself that I didn't tell that many people that I was vegetarian at first. It's only the last couple of years that I've actually become comfortable in telling other people, since my friends are all mature now.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Drew - Hang in there, and stick with your beliefs (in the end - that is what matters). Just keep a smile on your face to people who tease or snicker. I always put my best foot forward to them because I like to consider myself an ambassador - they may be impressed enough to think about jumping on the bandwagon - who knows :)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've gotta echo what vegancannibal said -- being a vegan male is kind of like being the only straight guy in a ballet class -- all the women start flocking

That aside, the first year or two of being veg is the hardest -- even after 8 years (or so -- I've lost count) my family and friends still joke occasionally, but it's all in good fun and everyone's gotten the hint that this isn't a "phase". I think we've all gone through it -- just stick with it and people will stop bugging you about it.

Good luck!

Mskedi

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I encountered hostility to my vegetarianism last night at a wedding reception (I had veg dishes). I got asked "are you a VEGAN?" like it was something evil and bad, and I replied no, I'm not, but didn't add that I share many similar beliefs that vegans do, and avoid most animal products. The strange thing was he didn't even ask "why?" as most people do, he was putting me down all night (kept telling me to shut up, that I was a *****, etc) but I get the impression that he's like that with EVERYONE so it didn't bother me, I just laughed and told him there was a reason he couldn't keep a girlfriend. It's the first time anyone has been rude about it to me (and I kinda expected it from him) but I handled it pretty well, I thought there's no point getting defensive, this is me and that is him and who cares?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeez shewolf, that guy sounds like a nightmare.

I guess I must be blessed with non-ignorant and accepting friends who take me for what I am and cope quite easily with my vegan ways. I tend to find it is older people who can't grasp the whole concept and look at you as if you are mentally deficient because you don't lick your lips at the thought of eating a pig / cow / chicken etc. (I also think older people are obsessed by food period, but that is another thread).

It may seem like you're all alone, but be proud in your decision Drew, and remember that there are millions of other people (many famous) who think the way you do (Paul McCartney being a great example and one of my biggest heroes). I've always preferred being a member of a smaller select group of intellegent thinkers than one of the hoarding masses anyhow.

And one day you'll pick one of the flocking masses of ladies who love your compassionate ways and end up marrying them like I did, making your life even better!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It'll get easier as you become older and more independent. High school is rough for anyone who stands out from the crowd. If you believe that veganism is right for you, by all means don't cave in to social pressure. You'll feel better knowing that you stood up for yourself. Keep posting here at VB. There are a lot of vegan men here and they are anything but girly.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
good luck drew !!! you'll be fine.

i just thought i would add that we started a vegan cooking group and of our gruop of 9 people, it is made up of 7 guys and 2 girls. 7 guys = 6 vegans + 1 vegetarian! (2 vegan girls)

i must have at least 10 guy friends who are vegan. but most of my friends are guys but alot of the girls i know are vegan too.

i'm very lucky that nearly all my friends are either vegetarian or vegan (and i keep meeting more) and the ones who aren't are open minded enough not to give me crap about it.

my hope is that we are making it more common for the following generations. i know i had never met any veg*ans when i was younger but nowadays, it is slowly (yes, more slowly in some places) becoming more common.

i hope that the following gnerations will grow up knowing what vegetarian and vegan means.

i'm sure if more children were told the truth and had a choice, they would not eat the animals that they think are cute and love!

but that's pre-conditioned society for you ...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think its normal, well. cruel maleficious teasing is not to be tolerated AT ALL by myself. but that is cause of my past. people generally get weird and do sometimes unthoughtfull things when their beliefs are challenged, or they are not open to difference in the world as much as they could be.

my family was really weird about it (choosing to go vegan) initially. my brother told me one night we were out at a music fest and had been drinking, many things...one of which he said i thought i was making a "terrible, terrible choice and that he was worried about me". my parents for about 3 months would make all these lame jokes in their attempt to hide their akwardness.

they just didn't understand, nor had i really explained to them. it passed in due time, just from talking. its to the point now where i am an inspiration for them all to eat healthier!

about the ridicule from your peers, drew. that is just poor childish bull***t. i took a lot of it too. from wearing too short shorts, to not having enough body hair. to..really anything honestly. its hard to say when your younger if the people who do this could really be worth holding onto as friends. i know i didn't think so, and i did rightly excommunicate them after i just had enough.

when i decided to go vegan i was very much on my own and away from any of the prior bad relationships i had had.

i am a guy as well. and now...i usually just get teased for maybe being to sensitive, and effeminite...or that i'm gay. i command tons more respect now, because i totally respect myself and try my hardest to be sensitive to others as well. so teasing isn't really an issue anymore. teasing comes in different less obvious forms when your older....ime. i am more gracefull at dealing with it as well. i mean...middle and high school for me was one big awfull trip for me for the most part. where the teasing and ridicule never seemed to EVER stop. people were so freaking judgemental. i had some good friends, and i allways had a few teachers as my allies. but...then, it wasn't cool to be with these people nor to be a teachers pet....blah.

i like what dave eggers had to say about homosexuality in "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius" (an awesome book btw, totally funny and 100% real...too real even!). if i may quote him.

"if i had to think of myself on a scale of 1-10, 1 being straight and 10 being gay...i think on any one day i would probably be a 5"

haha, that gets people roiling, ALLWAYS...definetly.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
lately my friends have been saying stuff like: I really do not think you should be a vegetarian. Last night was the worst, they started saying : Vegetarians are bastards and then backed it up by saying that vegetables feel things when they are pulled from the ground so I was just as bad as an animal eating person. Apparently they are starting to feel bad about eating animals so they now need to try and make me feel bad about eating vegetables?? Yeah that will work,,, i sure want a burger now, (not). I got pretty upset and just said that I was who I was and if they didnt quit trying to make me a non-vegetarian that I would quit hanging out with them. They just dont really get it, even still. The think my choice in being a vegetarian is like picking out what shirt to wear to go to a party. Accckkk, and these are supposed to be my friends! I really wish there were more vegetarians around here for me to hang out with.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well my friends bring up a lot of stupid pointless arguements agaist veggtarianism and veganism. first off they bring up that arent plants living too bull crap. yes it is true they are alive, but plants do not feel pain they have no emotions. they are not alive in the same sence we and other animals are. also they bring up that other animals eat other animals crap. yes other animals do eat other animals, but they also rape for reproduction( most animals anyway) humans hold there selves at a higher standerd. so rape is uniseptable. so should meat eating

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SystmDwnGrl

lately my friends have been saying stuff like: I really do not think you should be a vegetarian. Last night was the worst, they started saying : Vegetarians are bastards and then backed it up by saying that vegetables feel things when they are pulled from the ground so I was just as bad as an animal eating person.
Even if plants could feel, then they would still be worse, bc it takes about seven pound of plants to make one pound of meat.

I suggest all of you having these problems try not to engage these people when they start this ****. Just don't say anything to reinforce it. Maybe ask them if they are really interested, and if they are, give them the url www.veganoutreach.org or http://ar.vegnews.org/

which have some very good answers to many questions. If they haven't read that and they are asking you all these questions, they are wasting your time.

Sorry for all the problems. When I was young I guess I was lucky. I had friends who respected me and didn't tease each other. That is just lame. If they don't quit eventually, seriously think about new friends. Not all young people are jerks.

The vegan outreach answer to the dumb plant thing is:

Quote:
Plants feel too.

This statement is often made by people trying to rationalize that since plants feel pain, it must be okay to kill animals. They usually never make the similar leap of saying that since plants feel pain it must be okay to kill humans.

For plants to feel physical pain, they must have some sort of organized tissue which, upon stimulation, would activate a structure in the plant that is conscious and could perceive the stimulation as painful. There are no structures within plants that are analogous to the pain receptors, neurons, and pain-perceiving portions of the brains of vertebrate animals. Animals, being mobile, benefit from their ability to sense pain; but plants simply have no biological or evolutionary need for the experience of pain. Even if, contrary to all evidence, plants did feel pain, it would still be preferable to be vegan. More plants are killed in non-vegan diets, as more plants must be harvested to feed animals.
found at http://www.veganoutreach.org/starterpack/qa.html

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
in response to when meat eaters try to argue the old "but plants have feelings too". i always say to them that you don't see carrots or broccoli running down the street or field, plants don't have a central nervous system like animals and humans.

secondly, if they say something about eating the poor plants, tell them they are eating more plants than you anyway. how so?they are eating meat where an animal had to be fed (tonnes more to produce a pound of beef etc) plus the extra fruit/veg they consume as well (some people anyway) whereas you are eating the plants directly ......

i love knocking their myths on the head with a sledghammer!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
OH, Please! What idiots! That is a sure-fire sign of immaturity.

Frankly, as a person, I find people who stand up for their personal beliefs *especially* if it goes against the average view EXTREMELY attractive. And, since I like men, I find men who stand up *very* sexy. Who wants a "yes man" or average joe? I love people who are individuals and not followers. Even people who don't necessarily agree with me on issues, if they are intelligent, respectful, and can articulate their opinions and beliefs and are true to those beliefs without doubt, then I find them worth knowing and worth listening to.

Drew, baby, you stand out! Stick to your beliefs and you will be respected -- and sexy too

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh boy. i had some problems with my buddy kellen. not anything serious but he continuously thought it as funny to stick steaks in my face and ask me if i wanted some. stupid **** like that. after a while i told him it wasnt funny anymore and hekinda stoped doing it a lot. All i can say is stick in there and stick up for what you belive. if they cant handle not eating animal stuff then ****'em

1 - 20 of 26 Posts